Ghost image on Ultimaker 2 screen

flowalistik

Posted · Ghost image on Ultimaker 2 screen

Hi everyone!

I've been printing for more than 5000 hours with my Ultimaker 2 and some weeks ago I noticed there was a ghost image of the printing time left, which is visible when you're on the main menu.

I've searched on Google but it seems I'm the first one that has reported this. Am I the only one? I know there's a lot of people that have had their printers running more hours than me, and I want to know if it's a unique case (my printer is alive?) or if it's a common issue with this type of screens.

Just let you know that except from that ghost image, the screen works great.

ghost_image_UM2.png.17c3af77034bc2deab8786730d14453c.png

ghost_image_UM2.png.17c3af77034bc2deab8786730d14453c.png

• Like 1

Hmm... in this case a screen saver function would be nice... what do you think, @Tinkergnome?

A screensaver would be great, but I don't think it would be possible with the electronics. Maybe a custom firmware where you can hide the "time left" message and just put a progress bar in one tiny corner to avoid ghost images.

Well, it's too late for me, but it could implemented for future users!

A screensaver would be great, but I don't think it would be possible with the electronics. Maybe a custom firmware where you can hide the "time left" message and just put a progress bar in one tiny corner to avoid ghost images.

Well... or a custom firmware where you can adjust the screen contrast and where you can define a sleep timer that switches off the led lights and/or the screen after a certain amount of time without user interaction...

You're right, it's too late for you, but it's there (since a year or so...) :)

sml_gallery_38374_1618_3285.png

• Like 2

Well... or a custom firmware where you can adjust the screen contrast and where you can define a sleep timer that switches off the led lights and/or the screen after a certain amount of time without user interaction...

You're right, it's too late for you, but it's there (since a year or so...)   :)

sml_gallery_38374_1618_3285.png

It'a already done! You think about absolutely everything! <3

Hi folks,

I also have this issue. It did some research on it and it seems that OLEDs are subject to burn-in. ... like old CRTS, and unlink LCDs! :(

Some people, in the context of OLED TVs say that if you turn all the pixels on max and leave it for a long time, you can at least burn all the pixels to the same level and hide the ghosting. (Sounds dangerous to me!) But you cannot actually fix the problem once you have it.

I was quite surprised that no one else has mentioned it until now. (not even me!) :( Thanks flowalistik! :)

For me it occurred because I will put on 5 or 6 hour prints over night or while at work and then it sits there saying "done" for a 2-3 hours after that because I am still asleep or at work.

In fact, screen blanking was one of the major reasons I switched to Tinker's firmware. (The other being 300C for polycarb). :)

I would seriously recommend that the stock firmware be changed to have some kind of basic blanking capability because of this. I was really bummed out when I first saw this. It still bugs me every time I see it. That's my $0.02. Also, can we buy replacement OLED displays?

Anyway, I hope this helps. Glad to know I am not the only one! :)

@krys I checked today and I've been printing for 6666 hours, but the printer has been on for 9000 hours, mainly because I also leave print at night that finish printing at 4-5am, which leaves a time gap until I get off bed. :D

@krys I checked today and I've been printing for 6666 hours, but the printer has been on for 9000 hours, mainly because I also leave print at night that finish printing at 4-5am, which leaves a time gap until I get off bed. :D

Yeah, I am in a similar boat. 5000hrs printing, quite a bit more just "on".

ThinkerGnome's firmware both lets me reduce the brightness of the display and has the screen blanking. I appreciate both very much. :)

Though, it is weird to see the printer printing with the lights and screen off. Seems like it is possessed or something! :D

Posted (edited) · Ghost image on Ultimaker 2 screen

It seems to me that you could interrupt the power line to the screen with a SPST switch.  Flip it on, the screen gets power.  Flip it off, screen is unpowered.

I'd have to research and track down which line is power (which shouldn't be too hard), but it would involve cutting traces, so definitely not for the faint of heart.

Edited by danyetman