fill under-extruded

wnygren

Posted · fill under-extruded

5a3320a7a8b02_badprintfill001.thumb.JPG.0cee44fed01c751005e9d8b2cbf1bb2c.JPG

I have my fill speed and the print speed both set to 50. The bottom layers and the perimeters come out fine but the fill is way under-extruded. I have seen several other pictures from other posts which show the same problem and most of the answers say that the fill speed should be lowered to that of the print speed. This did not help.

I measured the dia of the filament that is extruded at the start of the print and it reads .42 mm so I don't think the nozzle is plugged - but I used the atomic method several times anyway and also poked the .4 mm wire cleaning tool thru it. I also cleaned out the filament drive mechanism.

I finally was able to get a good fill pattern by clicking on the tune button after the print was started and upping the flow rate to 200% !!

I figured that this would really mess up the perimeters etc. but the (5 hour) print came out fine.

The last time I used my Ultimaker 2 was two months ago and at that time I was using the default values for a normal print.

Have I somehow messed up a setting in CURA? I am using the 15.04.06 version.

5a3320a7a8b02_badprintfill001.thumb.JPG.0cee44fed01c751005e9d8b2cbf1bb2c.JPG

What speed is you outer and inner walls printed at.

There are lots of different speeds that can be adjusted. Try to make the outer wall speed, inner wall speed , print speed and infill speed the same.

Your PTFE maybe starting to get deformed but it your outer walls are printing fine then you should be able to get it to print well.

Just check the filament to see if it has good indentations from the feeder (about 2 pyramid indent shapes made by side)

Do an atomic pull and make sure the nozzle is clean.

Next step would be to check the PTFE coupler. For the old UM2 this can sometimes only last 500 hours depending on the material you print with.

There are guides how to check it and change it in the support section of the website.

If it needs changing then then I would make sure you change it with a TFM coupler from a Ultimaker reseller or TFT coupler from 3dsolex as these can last 2000 hours.

I have done the Atomic pull several times and cleaned the drive mechanism.

I still think it is a software problem because the inner and outer shells of each layer are extruding properly - only the fill is under extruded. How can the Ultimaker hardware work for the shells and not for the fill?

Also I have the fill and shell speeds all set to 40 mm/sec.

Hi there.

I have had that issue in the past too. But that was when Cura had the infill speed set too high (80m/s). Per forum suggestions, I lowered the infill speed and things worked fine after that.

But if you are already print with all speeds slower (40mm/s) and still getting that result, then I do not know.

Could it be the filament? What if you try a different filament and see what happens? Different materials, and even different brands can behave differently.

Maybe also try hotter and/or slower until you can find new baseline working settings?

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps. :)

I think your issue is that infill is set higher than 24%. Try setting it 24% and it should be fine. When you switch to 26% it uses a different method where it only prints one angle on one layer and the other angle on the next and they only support each other on those posts just like in your photo. Because of this I try to stick to 0% to 24% or 100%. I don't like 26% through 80%. To be avoided unless all you care about is weight.

In new cura (2.1) you have many more infill options... so you can choose whether you want it full on every layer or not. Read the tool tips on the different infill options and it will be clear....

Just check the filament to see if it has good indentations from the feeder (about 2 pyramid indent shapes made by side)

Do an atomic pull and make sure the nozzle is clean.

Next step would be to check the PTFE coupler. For the old UM2 this can sometimes only last 500 hours depending on the material you print with.

There are guides how to check it and change it in the support section of the website.

If it needs changing then then I would make sure you change it with a TFM coupler from a Ultimaker reseller or TFT coupler from 3dsolex as these can last 2000 hours.

Thanks. I did check my coupler and it is a little burnt.

I think your issue is that infill is set higher than 24%.  Try setting it 24% and it should be fine.  When you switch to 26% it uses a different method where it only prints one angle on one layer and the other angle on the next and they only support each other on those posts just like in your photo.  Because of this I try to stick to 0% to 24% or 100%.  I don't like 26% through 80%.  To be avoided unless all you care about is weight.

Thanks. I set the fill lto 24% and the print is looking better. However, I have successfully used 50% fill in the past.

Hi there.

I have had that issue in the past too.  But that was when Cura had the infill speed set too high (80m/s).  Per forum suggestions, I lowered the infill speed and things worked fine after that.

But if you are already print with all speeds slower (40mm/s) and still getting that result, then I do not know.

Could it be the filament?  What if you try a different filament and see what happens?  Different materials, and even different brands can behave differently.

Maybe also try hotter and/or slower until you can find new baseline working settings?

Just some thoughts.  Hope it helps. :)

Thanks. I did switch from unltimaker abs to luzbot abs a while back when ultimaker wasn't available so this along with a new coupler and a cleaning of the olsson block and nozzle seems to have solved my problems. Also I updated my firmware for the CURA 15.04.6

I am having similar issues.  I am on ver. 3.4.1 However, in my case, the fill is actually fairly low at 10%.  Speed is 50 for both shell and fills.  My normal extrusion is set to 105%.  Is there a separate place where I can set the fill %?  I want to try the 200% setting to see if that solves my problem.

Attached is an image of the problem.

Fill Problem.jpg

I am having similar issues.  I am on ver. 3.4.1 However, in my case, the fill is actually fairly low at 10%.  Speed is 50 for both shell and fills.  My normal extrusion is set to 105%.  Is there a separate place where I can set the fill %?  I want to try the 200% setting to see if that solves my problem.

Attached is an image of the problem.

Fill Problem.jpg

@casdcoke5 - You have severe underextrusion.  It could be as simple as you are printing too much volume or too cold.  For example if your layer heights are too thick, print speed too fast, etc.  infill is printed by default at 2X the speed of your walls (I know you say 50 for both but there are not just 2 printing speeds but I think maybe 5 or so).  Your walls are also underextruded.

What kind of printer are you using?  Make and model?

For example if this were an ultimaker 2 I would say first thing to try is to replace the teflon part.

Again the most common problem is simply printing too cold and too fast.  Try raising temp 10C and cutting speed by 50%.  But there could be issues with the feeder or the nozzle or your line width might be larger than your nozzle size or any other number of problems but first tell us your printer brand and model.

You might also verify that Cura is set to the correct filament size, i.e. set for 3mm filament rather than 1.75, if that's what your printer uses.

Thank you both for your replies.   I have a Monoprice Select v2.  They provided Cura software preconfigured for a IIIP-i3, and I had that working fine for other prints.  However, I have been trying to change to a more current version of Cura.  So, I have been trying to copy all the settings over to the 3.4.1version.

I see now why I could not find the infill speed... I was looking under infill.  I have now turned on the display for the Infill Speed.  When software gets more intelligent a does stuff like adjusting the infill speed to 50% of the speed, it can be a challenge to know what it is doing... especially if the setting is hidden.

Thanks again for getting me to a solution.

-Joe

I have slowed the fill extrusion speed to match that of the shell. But, I get the same under extruded fill.  Is there a place to tell it to extrude more fill, that I am somehow overlooking?

-Joe