Small parts printing problems? how can i fix it?

Edel

Posted · Small parts printing problems? how can i fix it?

Hi,

many have even problems with little things ....

I have problems with this part

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1267209

LEGS.STL

just this legs are my problem

http://youtu.be/XSkM50KViNI

as you can see, everything prints okay until just the legs at this level and have no more liability ....

I've reduced my speed to 20 ... unfortunately no improvement.

What options do I have?

Posted (edited) · Small parts printing problems? how can i fix it?

Increase the infill so it takes more time on each layer.

Or print two at the same time. Or three.

Or add pilars on the sides so also each layer takes more time.

And of course fans should be at 100% by the time it prints that (or sooner).

Also I think, nowthat I watched the video again, that you need to increase the supports density, and/or use rooftop (on new cura) so the hands can have better 'supports' before printing. Ofc that means that you will need to cleanup the print afterwards.

Edited by Guest

Ok i did this now, but still no good print:

Filling density of 15% to 50%.

Result:

5a3320c534372_Foto27_08.16145156.thumb.jpg.eaf5cdde5d63bb178d775e035a1dc9e7.jpg

Then now additionally changes

Distance XY = 0.6

Distance Z = 12:10

Result:

5a3320c56b3d5_Foto28_08.16162322.thumb.jpg.3e557c4a9b27d0e98b1184d9d349cd43.jpg

i dont undestand, why i cant handle this :(

5a3320c534372_Foto27_08.16145156.thumb.jpg.eaf5cdde5d63bb178d775e035a1dc9e7.jpg

5a3320c56b3d5_Foto28_08.16162322.thumb.jpg.3e557c4a9b27d0e98b1184d9d349cd43.jpg

Edited by Guest

At least in the video the support is very flimsy. I don't use support options very often (usually design my own) so I don't know how to fix this but definitely you need more support of those 4 legs. Try grid support maybe or just design your own like I do.

neotko - if you look at the very short video the problem isn't where it touches the bed but where the support touches the 4 "feet".

I see true. Then it's a question I think of expanding the support area. Then he might need to go Expert window of cura and set a higher, maybe much higher 'Distance X/Y' so the supports cover more distance, or probably he might need to use new cura that has roftops to have a good grip on the part. Ofc the best solution could be use custom designed supports or to try the meshmishers 'branches' supports and manually cut them after the print.

Also on some of the shoots the parts seems (hard to clearly see onthe photo) that the overhangs of the feet don't cooldown enough and the hotend might be hitting the print parts.

Also like @gr5 says a grid will definitely have a better grip, but with a part so small it be difficult to remove the supports afterwards. I would really try to make them with new cura rooftops support.

Also since you print pla and the part it's soo small. I would use bluetape and turn the bed off (you will need to readjust the level a bit). That allows you to get as much cooling as posible since the bed won't be heating the printed part.

Edited by Guest

>I would really try to make them with new cura rooftops support.

Ah! Yes! That's a good idea. I'd try that.

I don't agree with the "use bluetape" though. Bluetape is great but it takes a while to learn the tricks (you have to clean with isopropyl alcohol first to get the wax off and relevel of course). Glass is better than blue tape as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Edel,

Neotko said;

Also since you print pla and the part it's soo small. I would use bluetape and turn the bed off (you will need to readjust the level a bit). That allows you to get as much cooling as posible since the bed won't be heating the printed part.

I'm very much agree with Neotko here. I've struggled a lot with printing small detailed objects when using the heat bed on. Doing so is almost impossible due to the high heat radiation from both, the heat bed and the heated nozzle. The details in the object is simply melted/boiled away..  :(

So, turn off the heat bed, use blue tape or photo glue. For object/models etc, I do use glue when there is details with limited contact to the bed.

Happy printing.

Thanks

Torgeir.