fragile materials?

neone

Posted · fragile materials?

I'm on the lookout for a fragile filament, if it exists.

Not that fragile that it breaks while looking at it, but for instance when you squeeze your hand it would break, or when you let it fall on the ground.

Does such filament exist?

just wandering really, I'm brainstorming around some things.

hihi kinda :D

I know this sound kinda weird, but I was just wandering around this, fragile multilayered filaments, that you ought to break to reach the inner layer sorta speak, a bit like a fortune cookie that you need to break before you see the message.

...if I make any sense lol :)

If you overheat PLA it becomes quite brittle. Maybe if you print a one shell thickness and print it really hot? you could also use a 0.25mm nozzle.

Its not good to overheat it above 240degs though as it can burn in the nozzle

What about PLA and high humidity? First overheat it and then let the print soak humid air.

But just be aware that pieces of such a material could be quite sharp.

thanks for the tips, I'll maybe try them out one day.

But I'm still a bit reluctant with "overclocking" this machine ;)

It's not really over locking the machine. It can be as simple as slowing the print down by half then the pla will print to hot for that speed.

When it's printing you can go to the tune menu and increase the temp to 235 or something and just do a test. It won't harm your printer by doing this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · fragile materials?

You could make the break parts yourself, just take the object en cut it into several parts, but still connected to the whole.

Cura will see it as separate solid parts and print them as loose objects but connected a little bit with the material sticking to each other a little bit.

just remember not to use combine A or B in the expert menu

afterwards you can squeeze the parts and it will break into the parts.

I usually do this for support, and place it against the surface but not added to it.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

thnx for the feedback all

I'll certainly have a go at these suggestions one day.

Just set the flow to like 50%, you will get a sponge like texture that is rather fragile and trippy looking.

• Like 2

In films they use very fragile "glass" which scatter without causing wounds. You can hit someone on the head with a bottle of this "glass", shattering it to pieces, without killing him (as we have seen often enough in films).

I don't know for sure how this is made, but if I remember well, I once read it is moulded from some sugar-like stuff?

So, maybe you could use that, Make a mould, maybe with 3D-printing, and then cast such materials in it?

• Like 1