Bought my Ultimaker at a wrong time

Fiskare

Posted · Bought my Ultimaker at a wrong time

I got my Ultimaker 2+ in july after much thinking and comparing different 3D-printers and finally decided 2+ was the way to go for it's quality and reliability even though I drooled over printers with dual extrusion. I don't regret choosing Ultimaker at all and I'm very happy with it.. Until I saw the awesome new teaser prints on the site. Already I would like to get the UM3 but buying the 2+ already took most of my savings.

Anyone else in the same boat? Recently buying UM2+ and cursing that they didn't wait a few months? I dreamed so much about dual extrusion printer but decided against it when they didn't seem as good as UM overall. As the new version will probably be so updated I don't think there is an upgrade package in the making as they did with 2 to 2+.

so why did you buy it at the wrong time? newer doesn't mean better...

the UM2+ is a very well designed, very good printer. if it suits all of your needs, you bought the right printer.. if it doesn't.. then why did you buy it?

I'm sure it feels kinda weird that they announced something new.. perhaps you can work with the seller if it's still in the packaging if you want to return it.. but if you're happy with it, why change?

The UM2+ is a fantastic printer. It has been the most reliable by far of the whole family for me (and customers). Sure the UM3 will bring some neat features to the table, but that doesn't negate that the UM2+ is a very good printer. You can do a lot without dual extrusion.

Posted (edited) · Bought my Ultimaker at a wrong time

Dual extrusion might be a bit like unlimited computer power: It lets you forget how to do things in the best way with limited ressources because you can just do it the easy way with using much more ressources. But that doesn't mean you can't achieve extraordinary results with limited ressources. History of science is full of examples.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I'm in no way unhappy with my UM2+, quite the opposite. It fits my needs well and I eventually decided against dual extrusion since I don't really need it in daily use.

But it would have been nice to have. People often dream about buying new cars even though they have one that perfectly fits their needs don't they? Dual extrusion opens up possibilities you can't do otherwise and it would have been nice to be able to do that on occasion. Of course we aren't sure what UM3 brings to the table yet so it's hard to compare the models fully.

This was in no way meant as a serious complain or that I would like to return my still quite new printer. I just feel like my new dream printer was launched 3 months after I bought mine and now I have the need to find space in my house for a new one already :) If I had the money, or the need for dual printers hehe.

I'm in no way unhappy with my UM2+, quite the opposite. It fits my needs well and I eventually decided against dual extrusion since I don't really need it in daily use.

But it would have been  nice to have. People often dream about buying new cars even though they have one that perfectly fits their needs don't they? Dual extrusion opens up possibilities you can't do otherwise and it would have been nice to be able to do that on occasion. Of course we aren't sure what UM3 brings to the table yet so it's hard to compare the models fully.

This was in no way meant as a serious complain or that I would like to return my still quite new printer. I just feel like my new dream printer was launched 3 months after I bought mine and now I have the need to find space in my house for a new one already :)If I had the money, or the need for dual printers hehe.

i think that's a very healthy approach :)

i always get very confused when people buy something, then a new version comes out, and now the thing they were so happy with is rubbish all of a sudden..

I always think you bought something that fitted your needs, the fact there is a newer version doesn't make the old one bad..

and yes, it will probably do more things :) but it might not fit your needs anymore..

I feel your pain.

I bought an Ultimaker Original kit and the Ultimaker 2 came out just over a week later.

I did the Captain Kirk "KHAAAAAN!" scream for a few months. :)

• Like 1

The newest or 'latest greatest' is always appealing, but your reasons to buy the Ultimaker 2+ still stand it you have selected a very reliable 3D printer with a big userbase and superb track record.

What have you been printing so far?

@LePaul, have you upgraded to an Ultimaker 2+ by now?

I did buy a refurb from Fabrc8 and I have the Extrusion Upgrade Kit waiting for me to install it :) It took me a while but I eventually got one!

Don't worry about new products coming out, that will always happen, and you would need to have a lot of money and time to have the newest products.

If you had purchased an UM2 I may be able to understand some frustration, but the UM2+ is pure reliability, and it is for sure a huge improvement compared to the UM2, which is already a good machine.

And the thing I like the most is that you're not the only one that will want new features in their machines. There are lots of users here hacking and improving their Ultimakers, and if you do a quick search you will see dual extrusion already exists on the UM2. ;)

• Like 1

I'm going to sell my UM2+ extended when a new machine is released. :D

• Like 2