Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Uncle_Victor

UM3 Dimension accuracy!

Since a few day I am the (happy) owner of an UM3.

And I am happy, because all I printed till now came out as ordered. (all errors were mine, not the printer)

Except one thing: accuracy!

Before deciding to buy an ultimaker I had a test print made on an UM2 and was suprised of the accuracy.

In the design is a slit for a credit card that should be 54mm and it measured 53.97mm - very good considered the print was done in the lowest possible quality (for time reasons)

Printing the same STL file on the UM3 in normal quality measured 53.81mm!

Almost 0.2mm smaller. (and the card does not fit anymore)

As far as I can see there is no way to calibrate this. Or is there?

Where do I look? The machines were different, but also the slicer versions of cause. (cura version 2.1.3 versus 2.3.0)

what material are you printing with - each material shrinks to a different amount and this needs to be taken into account when designing tolerances. counteract this by increasing the size of the model by different (small) percentage in cura before you slice.

James

This is a tolerance of 0.3%, which is in the range of material differences. The only way to get this right is to know the shrinkage per material and compensate for this.

That could be totally doable now right? With the nfc chip it could be part of the information (so if the plastic changes in the future it could be easy to keep updated info of each roll).

Is there any pla of adjusting each color pla settings? I had much less controlled printing while using black UM pla than orange UM pla.