UM3 error codes, can't print

jazzychad

Posted · UM3 error codes, can't print

Hi all,

I have been using my new UM3 (my first 3D printer!) for a few days, and now I am getting lots of errors when using the printer.

Currently I am seeting "There is an I2C communication error. Go to ultimaker.com/ER19 " anytime I want to change any print core or material; and this has left me in a state where I cannot print anything.

Additionally, all of the ultimaker.com/ERxx urls lead to 404 Not Found pages, oh no!

Anyone know how to resolve this specific issue, or better yet, where the actual error code webpages are?

5K0fD7S.jpg

I think that page will be up soon. Maybe we can ask @sandervg for more info

I got that error only once and fixed itself by taking out the cores while off and reinsert again. No idea what causes it.

Also this Friday they uploaded a new firmware version. Maybe try to update?

• Like 1

I am attempting to install the newest Test Firmware (it already had the latest Stable installed). It has been on "Installing new firmware... Do not power off printer" for ~20 minutes. I don't remember it taking quite that long to update during initial unboxing/bringup... How long should I wait before I get worried?

Ok, eventually powered off the printer, restarted and successfully updated to latest Test Firmware. Then I took out print cores and reinserted while off as @neotko suggested.

I still get the "I2C communication error" message when doing any Material/Printcore load/unload/change procedures.

Log files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dn0mywt5b9ny5um/AADEnQso3zrqIEwpo4c939D3a?dl=0

Are both cores mounted properly? Check it especially on the upper end.

Yes, I'm fairly certain. Are you thinking the contacts in the back of the cores aren't touching like they should w/ the print head? I made sure to push them back as far as I could to ensure contact.

I did manage to load material into PrintCore 1 and do a quick print using only PLA... as the print finished and the bed lowered, again the "I2C communication error" displayed.

After that I restarted and tried to begin another print ~10 times, but each time as the print started it would have the same I2C error.

I once had an I2C error too on my UM3. And it turned out the BB core was not mounted properly...

Can you inspect the connectors behind the core. Maybe they have grease. I saw a technical training and they clean it with isopropyl alcohol (but don't do this and wait to contact your reseller). Just take a photo of the connectors behind the cores. And inside the printhead. Maybe there's something there...

The connectors on the BB core (and inside the print head behind it) are pristine. But since I have material loaded into the AA core, and I get the error when trying to unload it, I can't actually take the core out to inspect the contacts :(

The page should go live today. @Jazzychad, what is the latest status of your Ultimaker? Let me know if you still need help.

I could also get advice from our pro-support engineer who wrote the page to inform you about the best set of actions following this error-message.

Looking forward hearing from you!

• Like 2

Hi @SandervG - my printer is still experiencing I2C communication errors with almost any operation. It is effectively unusable at the moment. I would love any advice from your engineers :D

Hooray, the error page url works now, but says only this:

This error refers to a communication error in the printer. Since there can be several causes for this, we recommend to first reboot the Ultimaker 3 by using the on/off button.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, then please contact one of our local service providers for assistance.

Since I have turned on/off several dozen times at this point it looks like I will need to reach out to a service provider (or if there are any other logs that would be helpful here I can provide them. I haven't enabled Developer Mode; not sure if that provides any extra information).

Thank you for your message. What a mixture of emotions! Sorry to hear the error message remains, happy to hear the page is online, but sorry again that it didn't offer you a specific solution. Our partners have received training so they should be able to help you. If it can have a variety of reasons, it wouldn't make sense to list them all and you would be on your own to figure it out.

A quick communication with a trained support engineer should be helpful, and if you could subtract a log that would probably also be helpful.

I have also asked for some guidelines on what to look for, I'll share them with you once I hear back. Thanks!

Hi @SandervG - thanks for the reply! I would happy to reach out to a partner or trained support engineer.. how would I find the right person/people to contact?

Posted (edited) · UM3 error codes, can't print

The connectors on the BB core (and inside the print head behind it) are pristine. But since I have material loaded into the AA core, and I get the error when trying to unload it, I can't actually take the core out to inspect the contacts :(

Just push and hold the release lever on the feeder upwards and pull the filament back with your hand and you'll be able to remove the core. Afterwards you can do the same thing but push the filament forward towards the core again. Just take note of roughly how far back you pulled the filament out and push it back the same amount, it's not mm sensitive. Worst case you'll have to restart the next print because the core didn't prime fully. No biggie.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Hi @SandervG - thanks for the reply! I would happy to reach out to a partner or trained support engineer.. how would I find the right person/people to contact?

Where have you purchased your Ultimaker 3?

Reaching out to them with your situation should automatically connect you to a trained support engineer. Alternatively, if you could let me know I could also make sure someone reaches out to you.

Looking forward hearing from you!

Update: Hooray, it appears fixed!!

I received some excellent technical help from fbrc8 - it turns out the printhead cable (w/ 10 colored wires from the printhead to the Ultimainboard below the printer) became unseated and was only loosely connected, which caused the intermittent I2C errors.

After reseating the bracket and the cable inside the printhead everything seems to be working properly again!

QfhB2hM.jpg

z60Zk61.jpg

• Like 1

I'm also getting this error ER19, it happened 95% through a 4 day print that it had managed OK previously.

It has just failed again with the same ER19 just over a day into the re-print.

It seemed quite happy after a restart to have another go before it failed again.

Spent a week on this so far :(

I've attached photos of both prints at the point the printer broke down.

Already reached out a few times to UK support but they have not seen this error before on an Ultimaker 3

Taking the cover off and looking at the connector it looks seated OK, it is flush on the right and possibly a tiny bit higher on the left / black end but we are talking >0.25mm

Will try firmware and playing with the printhead cable but I really need a reliable printer...

If it is the cable, is there a way to keep it in place rather than wait for this to happen again?

Ultimaker3extendedFailErrorER19.thumb.jpg.c25654ea013078a0dcda46c9e6a78b04.jpg

Ultimaker3extendedFailErrorER19-1.thumb.jpg.20868e215b11e622d470f2db8a63adff.jpg

Ultimaker3extendedFailErrorER19.thumb.jpg.c25654ea013078a0dcda46c9e6a78b04.jpg

Ultimaker3extendedFailErrorER19-1.thumb.jpg.20868e215b11e622d470f2db8a63adff.jpg

Hi @Sproutdesign,

Thank you for your post. I understand you need a reliable printer, and that is exactly what we do our very best for, to offer you!

And if something in your Ultimaker 3 is not working like it is suppose to, you should be able to rely on us (and our partners) to get you back to 3D printing asap.

In this case, your error message can have a few different reasons.

Have you tried checking the cables, like JazzyChad who posted before you?

Alternatively, it can be related to some cables going to your feeder, the printhead pcb or the mainboard. We do not recommend to check on those last two yourself, due to other risks of damaging anything else in the electronics. The machine is electrostatic sensitive, so it is very important to work ESD-safe.

If it is not the cable, I would recommend to get in touch with 3DGBIRE and have them help you. We put a lot of effort in training our partners, and they also have some certified technical support engineers who should be able to give you the assistance you need.

Good luck and feel free to keep us updated on how it is going!

What is the solution for this error. i am facing the same one??

The answer is above - find the post with the photo of the cable with rainbow color wiring. 4 posts above this post.