Problem with printing in Ultimaker 2+

Othman

Posted (edited) · Problem with printing in Ultimaker 2+

Hello everyone, IMG_20161120_195638.thumb.jpg.8c1d98c63756173a18ef9296b5be3a9a.jpg

My name is Othman and I have just finished unboxing my new Ultimaker 2+.

I have five other 3D printers and I am in the industry of 3D printing since 2013.

I am surprised with the quality I got from the Ultimaker 2+, I am sure this is not the quality I am supposed to get. Something must be wrong.

I tried many many different settings but still I get same problems.:

1. Warping

2. Objects are ease to break in the z axis !

I followed all the tips and tricks in the Ultimaker website to get rid of the warping but it is still happening even for a very tiny object ! Something must be wrong with this printer.

Attached a picture comparing the test print that comes with the printer and my print file even after trying to play with settings it is still so poor.

Please help.

Update:

I managed to solve warping by re calibration, I went against the rules and I made the first layer almost not being printed! I also added too much sticking glue and made the platform temperature 80 degrees C !

About the z axis problem it looks like Under Extrusion, I am playing with printing speed lets see what happens !

IMG_20161120_195638.thumb.jpg.8c1d98c63756173a18ef9296b5be3a9a.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Problem with printing in Ultimaker 2+

If you use PLA don't turn the bed up to 80c, it's really not needed to go higher than 60c. About the warping, normal bed leveling (with a calibration piece of paper) should be fine. The most important thing is to have a CLEAN plate of glass, clean it using soap or a bit of alcohol. When you apply glue make sure it's just a very thin layer, use a bit a glue stick and then use a wet paper towel to spread it on the bed a bit more.

About the small cracks in the print, please check you feeder tension, is the indicator in the middle? for average tension. And check if your spool of plastic can rotate freely.

• Like 2

Oh, and what print speeds and temperatures do you use?

Warping is not a problem anymore, unfortunately I can't overcome this problem with other settings other than 80 degrees bed temp and good amount of glue. Without glue the first layer won't stick at all.

About speed and temperature I tried many settings with default temperature than increasing by 10 degrees. For speed I lowered it to be 75% of default speed but I do still have the printed objects very ease to break in many places.

What is the actual speed you are running? Depending on layer height, nozzle diameter, and desired quality I sometimes run all the way down to 20mm/s.

Typically, when I find myself having to put a lot of glue on a buildplate, I find my bed is too low. When I re-level my bed, I always start using the built-in bed leveler/business card method, then adjust as needed. To adjust as needed, I start a large print with a lot of brim. As it's printing the brim, I watch my first layer width and adjust the screws as needed as it goes around the build plate to get my first layer to where I think it needs to be, then off it goes! From what I have found, if my glass is good and clean, I am only using glue for extra insurance, as the print sticks well regardless.

With the layer adhesion issues, what temp and speed are you printing? I have seen similar splits due to printing too cold or too fast.

• Like 2

Do you have some more photos of the weak prints? Is it possible that your Z-axis may need a little sewing machine oil for lubrication? If you raise the bed up and down in the menu (Maintenance --> Advanced --> Raise Build Plate) does it move smoothly?

• Like 1

What is the actual speed you are running?  Depending on layer height, nozzle diameter, and desired quality I sometimes run all the way down to 20mm/s.  

Typically, when I find myself having to put a lot of glue on a buildplate, I find my bed is too low.  When I re-level my bed, I always start using the built-in bed leveler/business card method, then adjust as needed.  To adjust as needed, I start a large print with a lot of brim.  As it's printing the brim, I watch my first layer width and adjust the screws as needed as it goes around the build plate to get my first layer to where I think it needs to be, then off it goes!  From what I have found, if my glass is good and clean, I am only using glue for extra insurance, as the print sticks well regardless.

With the layer adhesion issues, what temp and speed are you printing?  I have seen similar splits due to printing too cold or too fast.

I am trying with low speeds up to 25mm/s it helps to go for low speeds but I still do have the problem.

I like your idea of calibration I will try it out.  Anyway adhesion is not a problem anymore I am just suffering with missing layers in the z axis.

Do you have some more photos of the weak prints? Is it possible that your Z-axis may need a little sewing machine oil for lubrication? If you raise the bed up and down in the menu (Maintenance --> Advanced --> Raise Build Plate) does it move smoothly?

attached more pictures, you can see the problem is partially solved by reducing speed and increasing tension on the feeder but I do still have the problem slightly.

I will try to lubricate the z axis.

IMAG2802.thumb.jpg.ce0f0824e75ca850bb1de1d1c37186b6.jpg

Yes it is moving smoothly.

Posted (edited) · Problem with printing in Ultimaker 2+

Yes it is moving smoothly.

You should test that. Because moving smoothly 'fast' is very easy, but doing 0.02 movements is where you could have an issue.

If you can, download Printrun/Pronterface (free google it) to connect by usb to the machine and move the bed on very small steps manually (with the program). That will help you debug if there's a issue on the bearings/nut

Like I did here:

If that's the case

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/11123-z-axis-layer-error?page=last#reply-130203

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.bcaa8f12584b1877a908361cd6303727.JPG

DSC_0009.thumb.JPG.0293807b826013fab3951bbfe4996c1c.JPG

Problem solved by changing filament !

I am not sure what exactly is going on but for warping I solved it by increasing build plate temp to 80 c and adding some glue.

For under extrusion I fixed it by lowering speed up to 20 mm/s and changing the stupid silver filament !

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.bcaa8f12584b1877a908361cd6303727.JPG

DSC_0009.thumb.JPG.0293807b826013fab3951bbfe4996c1c.JPG

• Like 1

I always love/hate when switching filament makes a problem go away. I love that my machine is okay, I hate that I spend all that time chasing a problem that is just the filament being stubborn.

80C bed will be a problem some day. It will cause an inward warping like look near the bottom. Look at the 5th picture down on the left side of this - that's caused by bed too hot:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

Unless of course this is maybe ABS????