Modification of upgraded extruder drive

Posted · Modification of upgraded extruder drive

The new upgraded extruder drive is great. Maybe the biggest improvement of my Ultimaker.

Unfortunately I had some problems with the extruder in the last days. The extruder was eating

up my filament because the delrin ring deformed and was blocking the extruder.

BTW: Using a soft material like delrin to add pressure to the filament is not a really good idea.

The solution was to replace the delrin ring with a metal ring that would not deform. A perfect match

to the exisiting 3x8x4 ball bearing is another ball bearing (8x14x4 - around 1€):

bb1.jpg

The new BB is visible in the lower section of the picture. Just throw the ugly delrin ring away and

slide the new BB over the old BB.

bb2.jpg

You can clearly see the wear on the delrin ring. I am quite opimistic that this will not

happen with the new ball bearing. ;)

• 6 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

the new new kit from ultimaker, where you get all the plastic parts as one complete injection molded kit.. is that also delrin material or something different ? I have my delrins from the new kit sets and they seem ok... printing atleast 15hours every day at the moment..

But I like the upgrade idea..!

Ian

Ian -

With my dual extrusion kit, it looks like the formerly delrin ring is now injection molded plastic. I think I'll go straight to a bearing when I add the second extruder.

Chri -

Do you realize that your extruder clamp isn't closed properly? That may be why you were getting grinding problems before. If you squeeze the clamp all the way, and then push the lever so that the bolt is all the way at the bottom of the slot before you rotate it to horizontal, then it will work a lot better.

I did the zip-tie thing on my extruder as well It seems to really help

There's no need for a zip tie, if you use it right, and set the spring tension properly.