Cura 2.4 Beta - Cubic Subdivision not showing up in layer view

rexipus

Posted · Cura 2.4 Beta - Cubic Subdivision not showing up in layer view

I just got Cura 2.4 Beta installed and running, and am eager to test out cubic subdivision.

When I set that as my infill type, then view the model in layer view, I see no infill lines at all. Also the calculated weight of the print is what it would be if there were no infill. When I change infill type to cubic or any other type of infill I see the infill in layer view as I would expect.

Is there something I'm missing here? If Cubic Subdivision obviously didn't work they wouldn't have shipped the 2.4 Beta with it as if it were working, so something's going wrong here.

What I haven't tested yet is whether a print is actually using cubic subdivision infill and it's just not showing up in Cura, or whether the infill really isn't being generated at all.

I tested this with two different, completely unrelated models, both of which I have previously printed just fine using Cura 2.3.0. With neither model was I able to see any infill when set to Cubic Subdivision.

>When I change infill type to cubic or any other type of infill I see the infill in layer view as I would expect.

Is that a typo?

>What I haven't tested yet is whether a print is actually using cubic subdivision infill and it's just not showing up in Cura,

That test would be a waste of time. If it isn't showing up in layer view it isn't happening.

Hopefully someone else might have some ideas.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.4 Beta - Cubic Subdivision not showing up in layer view

First, thanks for your reply!

No it's not a typo. Cubic and Cubic Subdivision are two separate infill types. When I have infill set to Cubic or any other of the usual infill types they show up in layer view, the model weight reflects the infill material, etc. Only when set to Cubic Subdivision does the infill simply not show up at all.

Here are screenshots. First shot shows normal cubic infill as displayed partway through this model in layer view.

2MRkAv.jpg

Next shot shows cubic subdivision infill type selected, and nothing shows up but some strange line through the upper left arm of the quadcopter frame:

VJzH5t.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yeah I noticed that as well. I looked at the resulting gcode in Repetier Host as well to rule out any bugs in the layer view of cura (spiralize is/was notorious for not showing up correctly) but it's missing there as well. So yeah, something is borked there.

Hmm, I wonder what could be different about the devs' machines that makes this feature work, but on our machines it simply doesn't work at all. This is a brand new installation, and my settings aren't unreasonable at all. It's really strange. They wouldn't have released this beta and announced this feature if it didn't appear to them to be working, yet for at least some of us it simply fails to work, and doesn't announce any errors or anything. It's just not there.

I actually installed the 2.4 beta specifically for this feature. I use Cura most of the time for most of my prints, but I also use Slic3r, Craftware, or Simplify3D if they can do something I want with a specific print better than the others can. I'd been printing this frame most recently with Simplify3D, but it's process model is broken for what I want (has to do with top and bottom layers and how they (don't) work with S3D processes).

Cura's gradual infill option is really cool for what I'm doing, and this cubic subdivision would have taken what I gain from gradual infill and extended it in all directions inside the model, which is just great.

The model shown is a quadcopter frame. On a quadcopter frame one must balance weight and structural rigidity and strength. The cubic subdivision would allow me to move more or the infill structure out closer to the walls, where it would increase rigidity (and help top or overhanging layers go down better), while hollowing out the center, which reduces weight. This is literally the only feature that made me go through the crap of uninstalling the previous version of Cura (2.3.0) and removing the data directory*. If I can't get this feature working properly I'll continue printing this model using Simplify3D, which can do a couple of things that I actually need better than Cura**.

*this is what I had to do to get Cura 2.4 to launch at all, since Cura still, at this date in 2016, hasn't figured out how to get along with other versions of itself on a user's machine

**one of those is specifying two-layer brim for adhesion. The Taulman Alloy 910 nylon I'm using to print these frames likes to lift up a little around the edges of the ends of the arms if only single-layer brim is specified, but a two-layer brim locks it down pretty well

Did you try to play around with the cubic subdivision settings? I've tried the feature myself a few times and in most cases it needed a bit of tinkering for it to work.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.4 Beta - Cubic Subdivision not showing up in layer view

You are lucky guys - my Cura 2.4 quits with error after trying to slice something...

With a standard UMO it is fne, but as soon as I use the pre-defined dual UMO and select the second nozzle for support, it stops with the note "Cura Engine stops working"... :-(

Edit:

found the reason for crashing in my case. If a setting is empty (here it was the retraction speed at the second nozzle), it crahes, when a value is filled, then it works as expected...

Edited by Guest