Ultimaker 3 and PVA

VapeLounge

Posted · Ultimaker 3 and PVA

I have tried "ooze shield" for PLA+PVA : it does not work at all. It's better without anything.

I have tried a new tower of 25x25mm and 4mm thickness :

IMG_0007.thumb.JPG.be794a4374185c8734963b9b8f411624.JPG

As you can see, I have PVA residues on the part. The PVA is red Formfutura Atlas support but I have the same behaviour with Ultimaker PVA.

IMG_0007.thumb.JPG.be794a4374185c8734963b9b8f411624.JPG

Oh wow. Well you really need "pva all the way down". Meaning the pva needs to have a continuous path to the glass bed. Because PVA barely sticks at all to PLA.

So the "horizontal expansion" fixes this for some part shapes, but not for this one.

I'm hoping some future version of Cura will be able to do "PVA all the way down" automatically.

Oh wow.  Well you really need "pva all the way down".  Meaning the pva needs to have a continuous path to the glass bed.   Because PVA barely sticks at all to PLA.

So the "horizontal expansion" fixes this for some part shapes, but not for this one.

I'm hoping some future version of Cura will be able to do "PVA all the way down" automatically.

Thanks. Printing with PVA is not easy ... I don't have nozzle clogging, I don't have problem with humidity (now), but 2 issues :

- PVA does not stick well on top of PLA/PETG/nGen

- prime tower falls down everytime

I can't help you with "not stick" issue. That's just how PVA is. You need to design your own supports for this kind of model I suppose.

Prime tower falling down - that I can help you with.

First of all - I see your prime tower is not in the corner which is probably good. But still check your glass with a straight edge or ruler. Some of the glass beds are warped by 1 or even 2mm. Maybe place the prime tower right over the rear leveling screw where you know the glass is properly leveled if you are afraid to put a ruler on the glass.

Secondly level the nozzle closer to the bed to keep that tower from falling. And use a little glue. Watch my leveling procedure at 5:00 in this video and also watch the part about how much glue to use - most people use too much.

Thanks gr5 for your help. However, I use the auto calibration of the UM3, which is very good and the prime tower brakes in the middle.

My main issue is "holes" in the PLA, due to PVA residues, even if the prime tower is ok :

IMG_0016.thumb.JPG.bc82deb9fc08b27bff800e76bfb82f82.JPG

Thanks gr5 for your help. However, I use the auto calibration of the UM3, which is very good and the prime tower brakes in the middle.

My main issue is "holes" in the PLA, due to PVA residues, even if the prime tower is ok :

Unhide this option in Cura

5a3326ecf1347_Capturadepantalla2017-02-03alas14_00_35.thumb.png.3075ff24e1b389d54654bd5e053a3ac8.png

Using this reduces the printarea, but if your object is small it wont be a problem. This will force the head to stay the f-away from the print, cutting down the risk of one path crossing the other.

5a3326ecf1347_Capturadepantalla2017-02-03alas14_00_35.thumb.png.3075ff24e1b389d54654bd5e053a3ac8.png

Thanks for your help ! My travel avoid distance is already at the default value : 3mm

Thanks for your help ! My travel avoid distance is already at the default value : 3mm

Well defaults are to be broken. I remember I did 20mm for a model for fun. With s3d you can check travel paths, something that cura doesn't show very nice. Is always good to have a tool that can actually show how the head will move. But that option does work, and better if you can increase the number. Ofc, maybe your inactive head is too hot and drips. The failed print was using an standard profile or you changed something?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 and PVA

Well defaults are to be broken. I remember I did 20mm for a model for fun. With s3d you can check travel paths, something that cura doesn't show very nice. Is always good to have a tool that can actually show how the head will move. But that option does work, and better if you can increase the number. Ofc, maybe your inactive head is too hot and drips. The failed print was using an standard profile or you changed something?

Standard profile (Cura 2.4 beta 2) ! I'm printing again with 10mm travel avoid distance, and PVA with 105% flow.

Edited by Guest

Oh! The tower broke in the middle!!! That changes everything. My solution (with help from neotko) was to add two towers *before* I added the main print to cura (so it prints the towers before the print). These 2 added towers help hold up the built-in tower:

a.JPG.375e80d1b759b853abbb828f334abc8d.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 and PVA

Oh!  The tower broke in the middle!!! That changes everything.  My solution (with help from neotko) was to add two towers *before* I added the main print to cura (so it prints the towers before the print).  These 2 added towers help hold up the built-in tower:

Thanks for the tip ! Can you share the 3D file ?

Can we replace the built in tower by 2 towers (1 PLA and 1 PVA) ?

Edited by Guest

>Can we replace the built in tower by 2 towers (1 PLA and 1 PVA) ?

I don't know. You have to try it and then look VERY CAREFULLY at the path the head makes to make sure it goes to one of your toweres *before* it goes to the print. This is difficult to determine because that path could be going either way. But with the cura prime tower there I can see that it goes form the tower to and from the switch position and I know if I am looking at pla or pva (you click on those and the colors get brighter for the selected head) and I can figure it out. without the prime tower I'd just have to start up the print and not realize for a while if it was going to work. Or use some other visualization software like repetier. Cura won't show the order.

Sure I just put two files here - I think it's the angle one:

http://gr5.org/L_tower.stl

http://gr5.org/angle_tower.stl

You can use scale and adjust only Z height until it's slightly taller than the tower. And position realy really close to the tower but not quite touching. And use rotate to rotate the base of the tower as appropriate.

Also important - add towers BEFORE adding the model. In 2.4beta release notes I saw something about controlling the print order but I don't know where to find that feature. In cura 2.3 it's the order you place them on the bed.

• Like 1

Hi @gr5a,

Thank you so much, you saved my life !

Capture_tower.thumb.PNG.ae9e284680ee383ea84253ab4157ec4e.PNG

After many many failures, the tower is ok :

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.a0fe07489cb166d88ffe885251e1b3a5.JPG

@SandervG, I think it is a mandatory feature to add in Cura when you print with PVA.

Capture_tower.thumb.PNG.ae9e284680ee383ea84253ab4157ec4e.PNG

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.a0fe07489cb166d88ffe885251e1b3a5.JPG

Thank you for the suggestion and helping making Cura better.

I know the tower is something that has been changed a couple of times and several improvements have been made. I do not know if the current one fits in the developments, but I will definitely forward it so our software team can have a look at it.

I am happy your print came out alright @Fabreax!! It looks amazing!

Good, and I have done 2 new successful prints ! Thanks @gr5, your solution is perfect !

• Like 1

Wow. Glad to help. :)

• Like 1

Yes and No, I prefer the hollow build tower in Cura Beta insteadIMG_2005.thumb.JPG.ed4eeed8f35e2766038f229a78637053.JPG.

It reduces materials wasted, and at the same time it can use the inside to scrap any oozing material from the nozzles.

If you build a pyramid type of tower, I don't think it works so well.

Plus I know it's a cheat, but I've tried Scotch Permanent Glue Stick on only the back corner when I need to print the cleaning tower, and it seems to hold it nicely for me.

IMG_2005.thumb.JPG.ed4eeed8f35e2766038f229a78637053.JPG

Yes and No, I prefer the hollow build tower in Cura Beta insteadIMG_2005.thumb.JPG.ed4eeed8f35e2766038f229a78637053.JPG.

It reduces materials wasted, and at the same time it can use the inside to scrap any oozing material from the nozzles.

If you build a pyramid type of tower, I don't think it works so well.

Plus I know it's a cheat, but I've tried Scotch Permanent Glue Stick on only the back corner when I need to print the cleaning tower, and it seems to hold it nicely for me.

Have you tried PLA+PVA with the hollow tower ? PVA does not stick to PLA, the tower fails a lot.