Feeder Skipping--No Solutions?

Brittanicvs

Posted · Feeder Skipping--No Solutions?

Our space has an Ultimaker 2 that, up until a month ago, was working great until someone used 1.8mm ABS with it and on top of feeding issues the filament broke in the Bowden causing a serious jam. I was using 2.85mm Ultimaker filament on it with no problems. The Bowden was replaced (twice), but now I can't get anything to feed through it. I've tried the atomic cleaning method (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/5118-blocked-nozzle), and snaked a few strands of fine-gauge wire through the nozzle. Any other recommendations?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it all apart just yet, but I haven't looked at the PTFE coupler. It's a relatively new printer, so I don't think that's in bad shape.

You should post a picture of the results of your atomic pull (the filament strands). That can usually give us enough info to determine if it's a PTFE problem.

If it is the case that you do need to take it apart, I suggest getting a TFM coupler (the new UM2+ couplers) as they last a heck of a lot longer than the PTFE ones the UM2 came with. Also consider upgrading to n olsson block so you can change nozzles easy.

If you don't have an olsson block or block v3 then I suggest that.

It makes it so easy to just remove the nozzle and clean it out (or throw it away) (I usually put it in a flame - with ABS by now it's probably cooked to gum like conssitency but a toothpick can probably get it all out - or you can burn it all out).

You could also upgrade to a stronger feeder that feeds with much more force that will give you a lot more headroom before you enters skipping and grinding issues.

Our Bondtech Feeder is highly appreciated from many users.

/Martin

• Like 2

yes, bondtech feeder is great!

+1 vote for the BondTech feeder, its the best upgrade I have made

oh! but also the Olsson block too

and there is the more powerful heater