EM3 Ex single extrusion on Princore2

f5bqp

Posted · EM3 Ex single extrusion on Princore2

I'm posting this question in english as on the French community I didn't had yet an answer:

I'm trying to use the Printcore2 AA/0.4mm to print as single extrusion using a different color.

Is it possible? Each time I try to do this using Printcore2 the print starts on the Printcore1 so I'm wondering if it's really possible to do so.

Many thanks for your responses

Pierre-Francois

Thank you very much for your quick response.

If you have access to the Cura Gang please give them this idea, it would help .

Ah no no. Moderators don't do much than the same any user. We just kill spam and try to help when we can.

We should bug @nallath he might give you an answer if that option is on the development for the future.

Maybe I overlook something as I don't know exactly how the UM3 manages the cores, but one could write a postprocessing script which ensures core 2 is "low" and remaps the temp settings from core1 to core2...

Posted (edited) · EM3 Ex single extrusion on Princore2

Maybe I overlook something as I don't know exactly how the UM3 manages the cores, but one could write a postprocessing script which ensures core 2 is "low" and remaps the temp settings from core1 to core2...

I haven't check nura 2.4 just because well, no time and no use for me. I think 2.4 has single core profil, or at least it should. But the heating sequence on the printer is a bit unavoidable.

For s3d I can do that with a fake header and then when the printer allows the gcode I leave s3d to change temps to what I want. The problem is that the end sequence is fixed to what materials you set, so you get cores heating up when the print finish.

Is one of the many thinks I don't like of the um3, the lack of reprap flavor makes tinkering with it practically a nightmare. And the fact that you can't make um3 firmwares, well, that's just dumb (um has to sign it to update with it).

Anyhow. Is doable, but parts like print finishing cool down and some other stuff, can't be edited and depends on what materials you choose on the printer.

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean, but maybe this helps.

1. Load the object

2. Select the object

3. Press the button "per model settings" on the left

4. Select the extruder you wish the model to print with

Capture.thumb.PNG.3a084cd8442df169789ae018c725c900.PNG

Please note that if you print with a brim, you can select with which extruder the brim is printed separately. this option is found in the settings list on the right side.

Capture2.PNG.8341c8d57d57ff628d142dcfe360f9d0.PNG

• Like 1

Please note that if you print with a brim, you can select with which extruder the brim is printed separately. this option is found in the settings list on the right side.

In addition: i think, there is a similar selection for the support extruder (switch it to Extruder 2 even if support is not used).

Don't forget to set all temperatures for Extruder 1 to zero (including "Standby Temperature"). Save all settings as a new profile (for the next time), and that's it. I'm pretty sure, that I have done it before...

Humm ... I'll try tomorow morning, tonight it would be too noisy ...

I guess this is what I'm trying to do since I asked for this issue.

I missed within Cura the "Per model settings" .

Thanks for your response.

1. Load the object

2. Select the object

• Like 1

Thank you again for the response, this is exactly what I was looking for .

Don't understand why I missed this configuration possibility!

Stupid I was... :angry:

Well, I don't think it was stupid. Dual printing is more difficult than you might think at first sight. We did our best to offer it as user friendly as possible, but I think even experienced single extrusion users need some tips and tricks when starting with dual printing.

Thank you again Tomnagel, your baby (the EM3Ex) is really a nice machine.

This is my first experience with the 3D Printing technology, it's really rather simple to enter into this new world.

To give you an idea see the picture of my first complex project after just few days acquiring the EM3Ex :

DSCN9649.thumb.JPG.037069cc6701d1f321dafe6cb75cba5f.JPG

Really simple to use in single extrusion mode with rather good results.

Will work in dual mode when I'll be more habit with all the environment.

Next step is to use copperfill and brassfill for RF (Radio Frequency) and Mw (Microwave) environments.

Thanks again for the help to all of you.

pf

DSCN9649.thumb.JPG.037069cc6701d1f321dafe6cb75cba5f.JPG

• Like 1

Your parts look great, and thank you for the compliments.

Please realise the brassfill and copperfill will wear down your (brass) nozzle. Since the nozzles are not user replaceable, this will become expensive in an UM3.

I expect UM to release a abrasive resistant nozzle somewhere in time, but you should not expect that in a couple of months.

If this is important to you, you may want to look for "hardcore six" on this forum (3rd party product, not from Ultimaker)

According to Korneel, Cura 2.x is built around extuder 1 is the primary.

Today I finished a 2-color print. Then I wanted to print another (single color) model, with the current color in extruder 2. SMART: I set extruder 2 as primary and set about printing. Not smart enough! After some base layers with extruder 2 (My chosen color pla, using AA core, of course), the machine decided to print a brim! Since brim is set to extruder 1, the head moved to a corner, produced a poo from extruder 1, and the decided to carry it and dumping it on my flat print, then making a perfect brim on a lower leverl. Hmm...

I guess smarter to leave extruder 1 as the primary.

• Like 1

Hi Tomnagel,

Yes I know, and to be honest one major reason I changed my mind toward Ultimaker is the fact I found (on this forum) the 3DSolex third party Hardcore Printcores otherwhise I wouldn't have choosen an EM3Ex but another solution.

For me it was MANDATORY I would be able to get hard iron or inox nozzles for the copperfill and brassfill.

I'm extremely pleased with the EM3 , really a wonderfull product, even if some improvments could be done... ;)

Here is another pict of my on going project, the last part to be printed, 22.5 hours, still 14.5 hours before the end !...

I pray and cross fingers that the AC supply doesn't shut down ...

DSCN9650.thumb.JPG.e0c5550c5c5500b04914c5f163043015.JPG

One thing you should include in your developments is the support for external AC/DC inverter with the management of the print resuming capabilities.

It would help for long printing and I'm sure the profesionnal labs would love that function.

Thanks again for all your advise.

pf

Your parts look great, and thank you for the compliments.

Please realise the brassfill and copperfill will wear down your (brass) nozzle. Since the nozzles are not user replaceable, this will become expensive in an UM3.

I expect UM to release a abrasive resistant nozzle somewhere in time, but you should not expect that in a couple of months.

If this is important to you, you may want to look for "hardcore six" on this forum (3rd party product, not from Ultimaker)

DSCN9650.thumb.JPG.e0c5550c5c5500b04914c5f163043015.JPG

What on earth is an EM3Ex?

An Eltimaker 3 Extended....

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Sorry you're right UM3Ex this is my Ultimaker3 Extended.

1. Load the object

2. Select the object

I've printed with Core 2 a single extrusion print. I always have 2 colors loaded, and it makes no sense to swap the filament from one core to another. Follow the steps @tomnagel said and it should work. The only thing. Be careful if you use support or brim, as you must select separately which material it uses for those.

• Like 1

good point @flowalistik! So you need to specify the support and the brim!

Another screenshot to make this clear:

Capture.PNG.00d545465c381867d02d110c24de2863.PNG

Capture.PNG.00d545465c381867d02d110c24de2863.PNG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Yes I understood, many thanks to all of you.

Cheers

pf

Thanks @tomnagel and @flowalistik! I will carefully watch brim and agree, does not make sense to change material if you, lets say, have 2 "Main colors".

• Like 1