Mark2 Upgrade

Posted · Mark2 Upgrade

Hi,

I have an Ultimaker 2 without any modification except the Olsson block.

I would like to upgrade to the Mark2.

Can I buy only one UM2+ upgrade and use the original print head with Olsson block as second head with Bondtech feeder ? This will save me a UM2+ upgrade kit ;-)

In the Mark2 essential, is the PCB included ? Are they available ?

Thanks !

Cheers

Gauthier

Posted · Mark2 Upgrade

Thanks Neo!

So the kit contains everything you need for the electronics and you have the screws and magnets with it.

Regarding the feeder if i'm not wrong you need two similar feeders, if you have a bondtech already, maybe it's better to buy a second bondtech and buy the components for the second head maybe (i'm looking at what you need for just the head without buying the upgrade kit)

Posted · Mark2 Upgrade

Regarding the feeder if i'm not wrong you need two similar feeders, if you have a bondtech already,

NO there's no need, you can set the direction and e-steps per feeder. So i would just use the bondtech on the first head, and the feeder from the upgrade kit on the 2th head.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Mark2 Upgrade
    12 hours ago, TroyStory said:

Any updates on this? I am in the same boat as you and would like to take your same approach. Were you able to build it alright using the original print head (w/ Olsson block)? Any advice?

Thanks,

Troy

I had the same question to answer and I am reusing the UM2 head for my 2nd printer (that was formerly a UM2 as well).
    The old head and cable tree do work for the Mark 2 upgrade. The fans, connectors, elements are identical. The head parts are identical. The heater of UM2 is weaker (UM2 25W, UM2+ 35W), but it does work as well.
    There is one detail of the old head, there is a spring fixing the PTFE coupler, that should be changed into the aluminium ring. You can buy that as a spare part, I did that.
    And you should use a Olsson block instead of the old nozzle setup.

Edited by conny_g
    • Like 1

Posted · Mark2 Upgrade

Thanks Conny,

I'll go ahead and just buy one UM2 upgrade kit, a Bondtech feeder, and an aluminum ring then. I already have an olsson block and a 35 watt heater so I think im pretty set up already.

Also to verify, in order to make this process easiest and most streamlined, it seems that it is best to use the Bondtech feeder as the primary feeder with the UM2+ hot end, and to use the UM2+ feeder with the old UM2 hot end as the secondary. Logic here being that the UM2+ feeder seems to be more simple to use as the secondary and I can thus use the "simple BOM". I would use the UM2+ hot end as the primary just because.

Thanks in advance!

Posted · Mark2 Upgrade

I have the bondtech feeder (it says qty 0 but I have one), the olsson block, the 35W heater and I can give you a free ABS version of the aluminum ring.  I don't sell the UM2 upgrade kit.  But consider buying some of that stuff from my store maybe?  thegr5store.com   I also have some mark2 kits on the way and should be here in a few days.