Solve to ERROR: tried printing out of print area

DJJD

Posted · Solve to ERROR: tried printing out of print area

Issue: After converting your .stl file to a .gcode file through Cura then setting up to print, but then giving you the Error tried to print out of printing area.

Fix: 1. make sure print is in print area

2. if already in print area go to Profile then go to manage profile then go to printers on the left of the box then click on machine settings. This is the most important part, make sure under build plate Machine Center Is Zero has NO check mark next to it.

3. This provides the Correct coordinates for your print.

PHOTO'S

1.jpg.8e9dfb803caa7514b3cca210169523c4.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.e0b76504b556abb8820466e1f3ddb53c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b03fb3501766f44cd617a4e14b695b38.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9a7626ffa0ce08bede48e095ddec0ac9.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.56b90c612640db0ce0b7ea5f4d31b229.jpg

1.jpg.8e9dfb803caa7514b3cca210169523c4.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.e0b76504b556abb8820466e1f3ddb53c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b03fb3501766f44cd617a4e14b695b38.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9a7626ffa0ce08bede48e095ddec0ac9.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.56b90c612640db0ce0b7ea5f4d31b229.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow,

This morning I had the same struggle!

Your explanation solved the problem,

Thanks!

I have no clue why the machine centre zero box was selected.

Henk van Ooijen

Shortcut: Instead of going through the Profiles dropdown, there's also a dropdown when you click the printer name. Select "Manage Printers..." from that dropdown.

• 8 months later...

Hello

I was visited by this issue just today. It appears that on very small objects (e.g. a 30mm diameter ring) my UM2 printer will print normally. But with bigger items well within the bounds of the build-plate it will heat the nozzle and sometime move the build-plate into position before throwing  "Error: Tried printing out of print area". I have done a good roam around and can't find anything that fixes the problem. I reinstalled Cura and updated the firmware but problem still persists.

Just hoping  anyone with expertise had any ideas on this? Seems like the coordinate system that guides the head might be corrupt (wild and ill informed guess!)

Typical, have a project due for end of this week.

Any help would be really appreciated........

There are many possibilities but it sounds like this is happening on the first layer.  If that is not true let us know asap.  If that is true then your printer is probably smaller than the print.

What are the exact limits of your printer?  What are the limits you entered into Cura?  is it a delta printer (they have 0,0 in the center) or non-delta (0,0 in the corner)?  What did cura say the dimensions were of your part (in addition to the dimensions you sometimes have things like skirts and brim that go beyond that).

Posted (edited) · Solve to ERROR: tried printing out of print area

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

yes it appears to be happening just prior to the printing starting on the plate when the head is travelling to take up it initial printing position (normally at the centre of the build-plate.

The limits for the printer, if I understand you correctly, are x= 223mm (across), y = 223mm (depth), z = 205mm (height). I have attached a snip of the 'machine settings' window below.

Limits.thumb.JPG.e400177701b0c410940d34817f72d92f.JPG

I have also included an image of the problem. I have just tested that this moment. 

ErrorOutOfPrintArea.thumb.jpg.8a298e0434213a14492cb7a5c4172f42.jpg

The placement of the model in Cura is illustrated towards the back of the plate to the right but it appears to print to the front of the plate on the left. Like the coordinates are offset.

If I try to print the model at the centre of the base-plate it gives the error.

Edited by theGreenMachine

29 minutes ago, gr5 said:

What did cura say the dimensions were of your part (in addition to the dimensions you sometimes have things like skirts and brim that go beyond that).

For most of the day I have tried playing with the setting in Cura including the skirt and brim settings but the models I have tried to print seem well within the limits of the printer. 

The example of the cup above will print if it is offset on the plate but an earlier test with a small model which comes as a demo model (30mm x 30mm x 4mm) printed as expected at the centre of the build-plate. Both were printed from an SD card and were gcode files.

why do you have the 'Origin at center' checked?

this is usually ment for delta printers with a round bed.

Posted (edited) · Solve to ERROR: tried printing out of print area

I can't be sure but I think that was set by default. I will try it unchecked and see if it works. Thanks

Edited by theGreenMachine