Cura setting for initial layer wall speed vs initial layer speed?

robster

Posted · Cura setting for initial layer wall speed vs initial layer speed?

I have a model with a complex and fine wall shape.

To have the outline lay down on the bed properly I need to slow to 15mm/s.

The problem is though, the filling in of the initial layer takes AGES due to this low speed.

I need to be able to have a 15mm/s outline then speed up inside on the lines that finish that layer.

Is there a setting that allows this? I can't find it as I suspect I don't know the correct terminology.

• 1 year later...

Try my Cura release, it not only has a setting for first layer wall speed but it also gives you the ability to modify the speed for small perimeters.

Screenshot_2019-02-15_19-03-36.png.7818f9ee0c224c8d7fd0aa71a1b22609.png

Screenshot_2019-02-15_19-04-06.png.ff904c14c585bec39b0317e5566a6dbc.png

You can find my releases (for Linux and Windows) at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

Hello @Fabiuz, my releases are based on Ultimaker's master (development) branches with my own additions and tweaks. Some of the stuff I add ends up in Ultimaker's Cura but for various reasons a lot doesn't. I offered the initial layer wall speed feature to the Cura devs some time ago and it was rejected so it's only going to be in my releases.

Posted (edited) · Cura setting for initial layer wall speed vs initial layer speed?

What is the proper way to stay current with your Master version? Should the old version be uninstalled first?

Is there anywhere that shows the version number? About Cura?

Edited by joestefano

8 hours ago, joestefano said:

What is the proper way to stay current with your Master version? Should the old version be uninstalled first?

Is there anywhere that shows the version number? About Cura?

The Linux AppImages are self contained and don't actually install the files release files anywhere.

Configuration files are created when Cura is run and those should be compatible between releases although because my releases are based on the master branch it is always possible that the Ultimaker devs will have made some change to the configuration part of Cura that causes any existing configuration files to be incompatible or broken. It's always a good idea to keep a copy of you configuration just in case you have a problem. I keep all of my Cura configuration files in a .git repo and every now and again I commit a snapshot so that I can always get back to a previous working configuration if the new Cura has broken it.

I don't use Windows so I don't know if my WIndows releases can be installed on top of a previous release. Perhaps a WIndows user could comment on this?

There isn't anywhere in the UI that shows the version number but the last couple of releases include a comment in the gcode that shows the release date.

4 hours ago, smartavionics said:

I don't use Windows so I don't know if my WIndows releases can be installed on top of a previous release. Perhaps a WIndows user could comment on this?

I do it all the time this way - i noticed no drawbacks so far.

But you can uninstall it first, just to be sure. The configuration files should stay in place even then.

• Like 1

Thanks @tinkergnome, that's good feedback!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, burtoogle said:

Try my Cura release, it not only has a setting for first layer wall speed but it also gives you the ability to modify the speed for small perimeters.

Screenshot_2019-02-15_19-03-36.png.7818f9ee0c224c8d7fd0aa71a1b22609.png

Screenshot_2019-02-15_19-04-06.png.ff904c14c585bec39b0317e5566a6dbc.png

You can find my releases (for Linux and Windows) at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

Looks amazing! Cura, please take notice!

I would be great if you had your fork on Github. Just downloading dropbox archives seems kinda dodgy ;)

burtoogle is also known as smartavionics and his version of cura is on github.  Just not the executables:

https://github.com/smartavionics?tab=repositories

It's always dodgy to download some exe and run it but I can vouch for burtoogle.  I've met him in person and he seems like a good person who wants to make the world a better place.

• Like 1