Sanjiu Feeder?

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

My (couple month old) UM2+ has recently started to have issues. The feed is consistently inconsistent and after 8-12 hours, it just stops feeding. I am not sure what is causing this, and cannot seem to narrow it down to any specific part.

The most obvious parts would be the feeder and the extruder. The feeder being the cheaper (and easier to replace) component, I tried to browse for printable replacements. Unfortunately there were only replacements for the UM2 to upgrade to the UM2+, but none for the UM2+

I did find a third party feeder, and at first glance it looks pretty good. It has two separate gears that feed the filament, and is much less noisy (it seems, from the video) than my original UM2+ feeder.

Has anyone used this feeder? Are there other 3rd party feeders that you would recommend more?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3D-Printer-Parts-Ultimaker-2-UM2-Extruder-For-1-75-3-00mm-Supply-Filament-System/2334209_32709735648.html

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Hi,

I don't think the feeder would be the problem (maybe just clean it).

Most obvious part to check is the head (nozzle partially clogged, or deformed teflon).

The UM2+ feeder is actually very good

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Hi,

I don't think the feeder would be the problem (maybe just clean it).

Most obvious part to check is the head (nozzle partially clogged, or deformed teflon).

The UM2+ feeder is actually very good

The feeder is clean, the nozzle is not clogged, and the coupler is new. I am at a loss for ideas to try and trouble shoot it, so replacing the feeder (especially one with two feeding gears) seems like the next logical step in my troubleshooting. I have only found this feeder as a replacement though, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with it, or know of any better aftermarket replacements. Something is wrong with my UM2+ and I have ran out of ideas.

I don't want this topic to turn into a duplicate of my original topic (troubleshooting my UM2+ issue) If you care to weigh in on that topic anymore (always appreciated) its here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/50348-extrusion-woes

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

That feeder design does look intriguing...

I am still running the stock UM2 feeder (not the 2+ feeder) and I am pretty happy with it.

GR5 has a different feeder here: https://thegr5store.com/store/index.php/meduza-feeder-upgrade-kit.html

Also, I keep my spool on a free-spinning spool holder, so there is no resistance from that end. Also, I keep my spool below the printer so that the filament travels straight up into the feeder (no sharp turns).

Good luck man.

Posted (edited) · Sanjiu Feeder?

Thats for the non plus UM2 lines to be upgraded to 2:1 geared ratio like the UM2+, it won't help the UM2+ any.

I am still running the stock UM2 feeder (not the 2+ feeder) and I am pretty happy with it.

I was happy with mine too, until it started having issues feeding, and I don't know why.

Also, I keep my spool on a free-spinning spool holder, so there is no resistance from that end. Also, I keep my spool below the printer so that the filament travels straight up into the feeder (no sharp turns).

The spool holder on the UM2+ isn't very good.  It holds the spool too far forward, so it doesn't have a straight shot from the spool to the feeder.  Unfortunately all of the printable replacements I have found for it, try and copy this.

I just found this.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1596292

This might solve your problems. Might.

I checked the gear and it doesnt look like its stripped out at all on the back.  I will double check though.

I hope to get reviews (ones that are independent of that store front) on this feeder so that I know if its any good.  I like the fact that it has two points of contact on the filament.  Other feeder suggestions are welcome too!

Edited by Guest

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Are you feeding from a spool? Maybe the coils are small and cause too much friction along the Bowden tube. I switched to buying coils of filament with a much larger diameter than spools.

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Are you feeding from a spool? Maybe the coils are small and cause too much friction along the Bowden tube. I switched to buying coils of filament with a much larger diameter than spools.

While I absolutely appreciate the feedback and troubleshooting ideas, if we could keep that in the topic I started (and linked above) so that this topic (asking about peoples experience with third party feeders) doesn't just become a continuation of that topic, that would be preferable.

To answer the comment though, not only am I using the same sized spools (and same brands) that I have used without issue running the machine almost non stop for the last two months, but I also oiled the inside of the Bowden tube (as recommended in various places) in hopes to reduce the friction. I have also tried printing with some filament that was not on a spool (it had been previously though) to see if that would help, and I tried a couple different new spools of filament to see if not being as curved as it is towards the center/end of the spool would help. None of these things really made a difference.

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

In short: 3rd party feeder (not DIY) offering real improvement = Bondtec

Two gears, gripping the filament from opposite sides make much more sense than two stacked coventional gear/idler combos.

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Indeed the for the bondtech!

About your feeder the pressure is set to the middle (indicator)

In short: 3rd party feeder (not DIY) offering real improvement = Bondtec

Two gears, gripping the filament from opposite sides make much more sense than two stacked coventional gear/idler combos.

The Bondtec looks like an amazing feeder, however it mounts the motor externally, which requires it to stick out the side of the UM.  This is an eye sore. I purchased the UM2+ instead of other printers, partially because of its aesthetic. I am not desperate enough to get the feeder working (yet) that I am willing to look past this.

An additional note.  The Bondtec requires a custom firmware.  I know that UM2+ is mostly a hardware upgrade from the UM2, does UM2 custom firmware work out-of-the-box on a UM2+?  Switching to their custom firmware will lock me out of any and all updates from Ultimaker, correct?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Bondtech doesn't require custom firmware. Just changing the e-steps/mm setting in the menu.

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Bondtech doesn't require custom firmware. Just changing the  e-steps/mm setting in the menu.

I am looking at their site:

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/extruders/bondtech-qr-30-universal.html

The site lists custom firmware and in the documentation it states:

The Ultimakers firmware needs to be changed since the feeder needs to run slower in order to work right. There is no possibility to change the settings of feeder pace in the original Ultimaker2 firmware so another custom firmware called “Tinkergnome” is being used to do so.

It also never actually clearly states that its compatible with the UM2+. I am assuming that since the motor mounts on the outside, and the UM2/UM2+ holes for the feeder mount seem to be the same, that anything that is compatible with the UM2 would also be compatible with the UM2+?

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

To my understanding you need special firmware only if you use the builtin material change routine (which I don't ;)

Hi All! I would like to inform you about the needed change for the firmware.

The thing that needs to be changed is the E-step value and also the speed used when performing a material change through the LCD-panel. Since the Bondtech QR uses a planetary gearbox with 5.18 ratio it needs to rotate faster than the standard motor, this means that the speed used during a material change must be lowered or the rotation speed will be too high for the motor.

I have made Firmwares availabe for download with the adjusted values. There is also a new version for the 2.1 firmware available (all firmwares can be downloaded here: http://shop.bondtech.se/...der-upgrade-kit.html)

If you want to use the Tinkergnome firmware there is also a version for this available above.

You could also set the new E-step value by sending the following G-code to the printer

M92 E492.45

M500

This sets the new E-step value and saves the new value to the configuration. But in order to change the speed during a material change the firmware must be changed.

In order to lower the temperature of the motor the current can be lowered to 1000 mA, if you are using Simplify3D remember to change the startscript to 1000 mA (it says 1400 mA as standard)

We have now also a new high-precision PTFE tube in stock with 3.18 mm inside diameter that will decrease the hysteresis effect during retractions that will allow for shorter retract values. The PTFE tube will also improve the performance when printing with flexible filaments.

If there is anything you want to know just ask!

With best regards

Bondtech AB / Martin

To my understanding you need special firmware only if you use the builtin material change routine (which I don't ;)

I rely on this functionality (I use it multiple times a day) so I would need this change.   To be honest I am not even sure how one could change filament on the UM2+ without using this function.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Here is a printable design similar to the Sanjiu feeder.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2289203

That is really interesting, though it would not be easy (nor cheap) to source all of the non printed materials. I wager I would end up spending as much as the Sanjiu feeder, just in sourcing the parts.

The Bondtec does have an alternate mounting option using their UM3 mount that they say is compatible with the UM2. It makes their feeder a more viable choice. I am still looking for other suggestions (and maybe future visitors will find use in these as well), but I am leaning towards the Bondtec.

I just installed the Sanjiu. It seems to be working quite well. I had the Meduza feeder before, but over time, it seems like the plastic parts twisted, and I was getting periodic (about 1/inch) underextrusion.

The Motor shaft on my UM2 extruder motor was too long though, so I had to shim the Sanjiu out with 8 washers. I'll probably design a spacer plate to replace it.

oh, and the other problem, the 2.85mm bowden clamp wouldn't fit my "double bowden 4mm inside 6mm)" . that I use for 1.75mm filament. I had to switch over to a pure 1.75mm bowden. I had originally tried to jam it in but it came loose about 80% through a 4 hour print.

Edited by kevin-osborn
    • Like 1

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

Sorry to revive an old thread but since there are not many experiences around, i need to try my luck here.

So, after a few years usage, are you still happy that you installed the Sanjiu? I'm also looking at installing one, so some long time running 1st hand experience would be nice. Did you use it also with flexibles (TPU etc)?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

I missed this post, but Netweaver reached out to me. I posted my spacer on youmagine:
    https://www.youmagine.com/designs/sanjiu-spacer-for-um2

I don't think it's good for flexibles.

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

I have one to but did you change anything in te settings? steps /mm ?

so yes what did you change?

Posted · Sanjiu Feeder?

I've just changed de e steps. Did nothing else, I don't think I am running into any extrusion problems.