Cura 2.5 / 2.6 / 2.7 not starting after Windows 10 Creators Update

Felbel

Posted · Cura 2.5 / 2.6 / 2.7 not starting after Windows 10 Creators Update

After installing the Windows 10 Creators update I have not been able to start Cura. I was on 2.5 and noticed that 2.6 had been released so I tried uninstalling 2.5, cleaning my registry, then installing 2.6 but that also failed to load. I tried the same steps going to 2.7, but that produced the same results.

I've looked at some of the solutions for similar issues reported but nothing has worked so far. The log file doesn't seem to be updating with anything past the 9th of July, so I'm not getting much help from that either...

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, what did you do to resolve it??

• 2 weeks later...

Same with me only not with W-10 but W7 and now can't get it back up. If I click the desktop icon it starts to open but then NOTHING and if you look in task manager nothing is there showing it is running or any part of it is stuck

Dr D

Try going to the folder:

%localappdata%

and

%appdata%

then going to the subfolder cura and deleting everything there. Then restart cura. No need to reinstall/uninstall cura.

The log file doesn't seem to be updating with anything past the 9th of July, so I'm not getting much help from that either...

Between Cura 2.5 and Cura 2.6, the location of the configuration folder changed from AppData/Local/cura to AppData/Roaming/cura. You were looking at the wrong log file.

The log file doesn't seem to be updating with anything past the 9th of July, so I'm not getting much help from that either...

Between Cura 2.5 and Cura 2.6, the location of the configuration folder changed from AppData/Local/cura to AppData/Roaming/cura. You were looking at the wrong log file.

No CURA files or folders in the appdata folder and the main app data is arrowed so can't be accessed HELP please

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.5 / 2.6 / 2.7 not starting after Windows 10 Creators Update

Open the start menu and start typing:

%APPDATA%\cura\2.6

Press enter.

If you cannot access that folder, then Cura cannot access that folder, and there is something seriously wrong with your computer.

Edit: oh, wait. You are using windows 7. Pro-tip: you are posting in a topic that specifically says "after Windows 10 Creators Update". So you don't have the exact same thing.

In Windows 7 you cannot open the start menu and start typing. Press winkey+r, and start typing in the dialog that pops up.

Edited by Guest

I had the same problem. I had to uninstall the version 2.x software I had loaded, then manually delete the folders under app data. Once I did this it worked!

Open the start menu and start typing:

%APPDATA%\cura\2.6

Press enter.

If you cannot access that folder, then Cura cannot access that folder, and there is something seriously wrong with your computer.

Edit: oh, wait. You are using windows 7. Pro-tip: you are posting in a topic that specifically says "after Windows 10 Creators Update". So you don't have the exact same thing.

In Windows 7 you cannot open the start menu and start typing. Press winkey+r, and start typing in the dialog that pops up.

Ahoeben

I don't know you but I can say you most likely have just saved atleast one patient either pain, discomfort, or possibly their life. THANK YOU

The instructions worked PERFECTLY. I used your method deleted the entire CURA "appdat" folder and then re-installed the software and so far perfect.

I can now get back to getting my folks to putting CT and MRI data into Cura to print out pre-surgical models to work on before we actually go into the OR

Thank you SO much

I sent in TWO service tickets to ultimaker for help and NO response. the next time we decide to choose slicing software I am voting for Simplified 3D atleast for the minimal money we will get support. Shame on Ultimaker if you aren't going to answer tickets don't make them available and if you need cash to support your software endeavors by all means charge for Cura but don't leave us hanging

Thanks to Ahoeben for saving my day!!!!

Dr Dave

I don't know you but I can say you most likely have just saved atleast one patient either pain, discomfort, or possibly their life.  THANK YOU

Well, don't thank me too much. If you check the contributors to the Cura project on Github (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/graphs/contributors), you'll see that a user named "fieldOfView" has contributed >1100 commits to the project. That's me. So I am probably partly to blame for the issue you ran into in the first place.

As an explanation: I worked on Cura for Ultimaker for a year, until the UM3 was released (Cura 2.3). Since then I've kept meddling as an external contributor.

Hi @DrDave, I'm happy to hear your problem got solved and you could find help in our knowledgeable community. Our apologies if our support teams have not been able to fulfill their task and help you when reached out.

We're always looking for feedback, and it's particularly valuable when it can also help us improve our business.

I'm wondering if you could share with me when and through what channel you have requested help and I'll see what caused the delay in getting back to you.

Enjoy Cura, and I'm looking forward hearing from you again! Have a good day.

Sadly I had tried all of these suggestions prior to posting and they had not solved the problem. I've still been unsuccessful at getting Cura to run on my machine, so I gave in and just created a VM with Ubuntu and run the slicer off of that.

I still would like to run Cura on my main machine, so if there are any other suggestions that I might try, I'm all ears!

Try Cura 2.6.2 for now, there are some crashing bugs in Cura 2.7 beta.

Please (re-)install Cura 2.6.2, and try to run it. If it does not start, please open the start menu and start typing

%APPDATA%\cura

and press enter. In the explorer window that opens, there should be a folder named 2.6. Please zip that folder up and make it available for download so we can see why Cura crashes.

Hi @DrDave, I'm happy to hear your problem got solved and you could find help in our knowledgeable community. Our apologies if our support teams have not been able to fulfill their task and help you when reached out.

We're always looking for feedback, and it's particularly valuable when it can also help us improve our business.  

I'm wondering if you could share with me when and through what channel you have requested help and I'll see what caused the delay in getting back to you.

I submitted two support tickets as directed by the software including sending in copy/paste of the entire error codes

Dr D

BTW Sander I just bought an inexpensive Windows 10 based 2 in 1 tablet PC and tried to install 2.7 BETA and it said that it can't be installed to contact the developer. Is it really not possible to use Cura ona new Windows 10 based Tablet??

Thank you

Dr D

BTW Sander I just bought an inexpensive Windows 10 based 2 in 1 tablet PC and tried to install 2.7 BETA and it said that it can't be installed to contact the developer.  Is it really not possible to use Cura ona  new Windows 10 based Tablet??

Thank you

Dr D

Which version of Windows 10? I think the tablets run on a stripped down version of Win10 and not fully functional for heavy programs.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.5 / 2.6 / 2.7 not starting after Windows 10 Creators Update

Thanks for the reply Ahoeben.

As per your request, I've uninstalled any trace of previous versions of Cura that I could find (install directory / appdata local / appdata roaming / cleaned the registry) and then did a fresh install of 2.6. The install was ran as administrator just to be safe. Then launching of 2.6 was done as administrator to be consistent. Unfortunately the results were the same, though this time I'm shocked at the 2 appdata locations being so sparse.

I've zipped up the following:

• appdata/local/cura
    • appdata/roaming/cura
    • programfiles/cura 2.6

I've also included the install file that I used to install 2.6.

All of this has been uploaded to dropbox, here

Just in case it helps...

IJy7QFA.png

Edited by Guest

BTW Sander I just bought an inexpensive Windows 10 based 2 in 1 tablet PC and tried to install 2.7 BETA and it said that it can't be installed to contact the developer.  Is it really not possible to use Cura ona  new Windows 10 based Tablet??

Thank you

Dr D

Which version of Windows 10? I think the tablets run on a stripped down version of Win10 and not fully functional for heavy programs.

Windows 10 home version 1703 IS build 15063.540 Intel 1.33Ghz processor

Help any???

I sure hope so

Dr D

Thank you

Dr D

Windows 10 home version 1703  IS build 15063.540 Intel 1.33Ghz processor

Help any???

I sure hope so

Dr D

Is that windows 10 32-bits? Cura only runs on 64-bits systems.

You can check this through 'System' -> 'About'

Thank you

Dr D

Windows 10 home version 1703  IS build 15063.540 Intel 1.33Ghz processor

Help any???

I sure hope so

Dr D

Is that windows 10 32-bits? Cura only runs on 64-bits systems.

You can check this through 'System' -> 'About'

AWESOME, simple shift to 64bit will solve it?? If so that is dirt cheap or free I assume. THANK YOU SO MUCH