Application Error trying to start Cura 2.7

CCA1

Posted (edited) · Application Error trying to start Cura 2.7

I just finished converting my printer to the dual Mark II setup and was going to update my Cura as well. I deleted all the other Cura programs in my system and downloaded Cura 2.7 from the Ultimaker website.

Took about 15 to 20 minutes to download but did it without any problems. Once downloaded, I clicked the .exe file to install it. It installed without a problem. Once installed, I clicked to open and that's when I get the error

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application"

I have deleted and re-installed the exe file. I have gone through and deleted all other Cura files before re-installing. I have no idea what is going on here. I never had a problem with any other Cura programs. Is there somewhere I can download the older programs again, since they worked great for me? Thank you.

My system is:

Windows 7 Home Premium (service pack 1)

Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz

16 Gig Ram

64 bit

- Jason

EDIT -- When I go to Ultimaker in Google Chrome (Which I have never done before) the links mentioned above are now active. Just not in Firefox which is my everyday browser.

So now the "view all versions" button works and I can try other versions.

EDIT 2 -- Version 2.6.2 did not work either.

EDIT 3 -- Version 15.04.6 WORKS        

EDIT 4 -- Version 2.3.0 WORKS

Edited by Guest

I haven't heard from anyone about this so I went ahead and tried to download Cura 2.7 on my wife's laptop. Completely different system, and got the same type of message when trying to start Cura......

"The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer"

At least now I know this isn't something on our end.

Any thoughts?

Anyone.........

Edited by Guest

Posted · Application Error trying to start Cura 2.7

I just finished trying to download multiple versions and here is my results......

15.04.6 works

2.3.0 works

2.3.1 works

2.4.0 doesn't work

2.5.0 doesn't work

2.6.0 doesn't work

2.6.2 doesn't work

2.7.0 doesn't work

Is there something that changed from 2.3.1 to the newer versions that are causing issues with some systems?

So Now I have 2.3.0 installed.

Exit out of Cura.

I placed all the necessary files in the proper folders for the Mark II upgrade.

1 file for the Definitions folder

2 files for the Extruders folder

2 files for the images folder (although I think the one that's titled "foo" is a junk file?)

1 file for scripts that goes to "plugins" "postprocessingplugin" "scripts"

4 files for the Variants folder.

Re-start Cura and the Mark II option is NOT available.

I removed ALL OTHER options out of the "definitions" folder and it gives me NO options for printers when Cura starts.

So, for some reason, Cura is not recognizing the Mark II definition?

I have re-booted. (many times)

re-loaded Cura (many times)

re-copied all files to folders (many times)

I am getting so done with this dual extrusion upgrade nightmare. If I was on the clock for this upgrade, I would have paid for a new Ultimaker 3 by now.

(sigh)

So I thought I would try it with the 15.04.6 version but I can't find where any of the files go for the Mark II upgrade.

Is this not compatible with 15.04.6?

I figured this was not compatible with 15.0.6 so I went back to version 2.3

I made a breakthrough that I thought I should share with everyone. (Although not everyone will experience my issue I'm sure)

After installing all the extra files for the Mark II upgrade and re-loading Cura. Go to Settings/Printer/Add Printer (just like the instructions say)

When that window opens up, EXPAND THAT WINDOW! (drag in bigger with the mouse) My window showed all the printers in the list EXCEPT the last one in the list, because the window was not big enough. I continuously drug the sidebar down to be sure I saw the whole list, but THAT DID NOT DISPLAY THE LAST ITEM! I finally figured out I needed to drag the window bigger with the mouse (don't ask me what made me think of this) and BAM! there it WAS!

Now, if I can only figure out what's going on with all the other versions of Cura that won't work on my system. (or my wife's system. Two completely different systems.)

I look forward to hearing from anyone on this issue.

No really......

Anyone.......

I haven't heard from anyone about this so I went ahead and tried to download Cura 2.7 on my wife's laptop. Completely different system, and got the same type of message when trying to start Cura......

"The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer"

At least now I know this isn't something on our end.

Any thoughts?

Anyone.........

This usually means your visual basic distribution is corrupted. You could try to reinstall it manually:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

This usually means your visual basic distribution is corrupted. You could try to reinstall it manually:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

Thank you for the help. I tried this with no luck.

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

This usually means your visual basic distribution is corrupted.

Erm, no. Visual Basic != Visual C++. But the link is ok.

Note that the Cura installer comes with the Visual C++ Redistributables, so they should be installed when installing Cura (unless you deselected the option to install them).

Note that the Cura installer comes with the Visual C++ Redistributables, so they should be installed when installing Cura (unless you deselected the option to install them).

Yep. Installed from the Link. Still no joy.

Did not deselect anything from the list and made sure the option WAS checked when I installed it all those many times. (I actually thought I SHOULD try unchecking that option, but have not done that)

Yep. Installed from the Link. Still no joy.

Did not deselect anything from the list and made sure the option WAS checked when I installed it all those many times. (I actually thought I SHOULD try unchecking that option, but have not done that)

Hmm weird, you could try this version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 but that should just include an older version of the Visual C++ library files.

Hmm weird, you could try this version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 but that should just include an older version of the Visual C++ library files.

In that link there are 3 options to choose from. Am I to select the last one that is called...

"VSU4\vcredist_arm.exe"

Or is the "VSU_4\vcredist_x64.exe" different than the one I tried earlier?

Thank you for the help!

EDIT = I see it is a totally different download. I will try and see what happens.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

"Hmm weird, you could try this version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 but that should just include an older version of the Visual C++ library files."

Tried that with no luck.

Edited by Guest

So now I think I've tried everything I can think of. I even uninstalled my last 3 versions of C++ (2012, 2013, 2015) 64 bit only. (anyone think it has to do with the x86 [32bit] ?

I installed Cura with AND without the Visual Studio option selected.

I tried running it with AND without all the C++ redistributables.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't have anything to do with the C++ stuff ???

It gives me the error message imediately upon clicking the program. I tried going to the program folder directly to start it.

I tried right clicking "Run as administrator" with no different results.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Thank you.

On a side note........

Version 2.3 works on my system without C++ 2012, 2013 or 2015. x64

I see it looks like it uses C++ 2010

Any chance I can make version 2.7 use 2010??

Edited by Guest

Are you using Windows 32-bits?

I found this extensive how-to: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1931360/0xc00007b-error-fix.html

Wow. So many issues. I feel for you.

What version of windows do you have on your computer and your wife's laptop? (e.g. windows xp?) and are you running 32 bit or 64 bit operating systems?

I know many cura issues are related to video drivers. Something about openGL? many people have had to turn openGL on or turn it off or update their video driver.

Cura runs well on mac and linux as well.

Cura 2.* creates a log file. Typically somewhere in %appdata%/cura and/or %localappdata%/cura. I'm wondering if cura at least creates the log file.

Do those folders exist? I would completely delete those cura subfolders. Cura 2.3 puts stuff in there that is incompatible with newer versions of Cura 2.*.

Each time you restart cura if those folders are empty it's like running cura the first time after installing it. It's like a fresh start. You'll lose your mark2 profiles/customizations if they are in one of those folders.

Also, check the windows event viewer. Might give you another clue what is wrong.

Don't know if this applies to Windows (I am a Mac/Linux guy), but usually when weird stuff like this happens, I create a new user on my system and try whatever action with that fresh user.

(anyone think it has to do with the x86 [32bit] ?

The error code means:

0xC000007B STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT

...and google teaches us, that the reason is probably a 64-bit application that tries to load a 32-bit DLL... (or vice versa)

One suggestion is to use Dependency Walker to find out more, but i don't know how deep you are willing to dig?

Are you using Windows 32-bits?

I found this extensive how-to: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1931360/0xc00007b-error-fix.html

Nope, 64 bit.

Windows 7 Home Premium

What version of windows do you have on your computer and your wife's laptop? (e.g. windows xp?) and are you running 32 bit or 64 bit operating systems?

Mine is 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Wife's is Windows 8.1

I finally got my wife's computer to accept version 2.7 No idea what I did differently the second time around but it went in and worked. Now I just need to get it on my computer.

Cura 2.* creates a log file. Typically somewhere in %appdata%/cura and/or %localappdata%/cura. I'm wondering if cura at least creates the log file.

I will check this out and post if I find a log file.

Do those folders exist? I would completely delete those cura subfolders. Cura 2.3 puts stuff in there that is incompatible with newer versions of Cura 2.*.

Each time you restart cura if those folders are empty it's like running cura the first time after installing it. It's like a fresh start. You'll lose your mark2 profiles/customizations if they are in one of those folders.

I'm ok with losing my Mark 2 stuff until I can get 2.7 running. I've re-done the mark 2 stuff so many times now it's second nature. I will check and see if those folders exist and delete them. (although I'm pretty sure I did this already once before)

Also, check the windows event viewer. Might give you another clue what is wrong.

Thanks, I will check that. I will post if it shows something useful.

Don't know if this applies to Windows (I am a Mac/Linux guy), but usually when weird stuff like this happens, I create a new user on my system and try whatever action with that fresh user.

Ick. It's an option, but ... just.... ick. (lol)

...and google teaches us, that the reason is probably a 64-bit application that tries to load a 32-bit DLL... (or vice versa)

I read some stuff about this when I was trying to download before. Any idea which DLL I need to fix? I tried running in compatibility modes too with no success.

I will take a look and see what dependency walker is. I'm ok with doing a lot of stuff. But I refuse to mess with the registry.

I will check this out and post if I find a log file.

Found a log file. It was all about 2.3 though. Deleted it (and entire folder) and still same results.

Thanks, I will check the event viewer. I will post if it shows something useful.

Event Viewer was completely full of events. (I've never done anything with the event viewer since I bought the machine several years ago) Nothing seemed related to Cura, however. I tried to find a way to clear the event viewer so I could tell what was new when I re-tried the Cura stuff. I could not find any way to "clear" the event viewer.

I will take a look and see what dependency walker is. I'm ok with doing a lot of stuff. But I refuse to mess with the registry.

Dependency Walker said that VCRUNTIME.DLL had a problem with "__C_specific_handler" in Cura version 2.7

The problem with this is that Cura version 2.3 has the exact same problem in MSVCR100.DLL (__C_specific_handler) and that version works great. So I don't think that that's an actual problem?

Thanks for the help guys. Keep it coming.

You were misinformed about the log file. Since 2.6 the log is located in %APPDATA%\Roaming\cura\cura.log, not in local.

You were misinformed about the log file. Since 2.6 the log is located in %APPDATA%\Roaming\cura\cura.log, not in local.

Checked it. No Cura folder there for me.

@ghostkeeper: note that on windows, the %APPDATA% variable points to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming, so %APPDATA%\Roaming\cura is not a working path. The correct path on Windows is %APPDATA%\cura

Can't you just search for "cura"? I am not actively using Windows (except for games) and I don't know how bad the search is but it should find the cura folder...

Still no Cura for me. (sigh) I tried the new 3.1 and still same results. {The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)}  Anyone else have similar results? Anyone else have any suggestions? I REALLY need the new version of Cura to help me print with PVA. (and all the other new stuff/ improvements it has.)

My wife spent the last several days updating my computer and fixing a bunch of updates and got it cleaned up and all, but still the same results for Cura.  

Msuurmond said:

"This usually means your visual basic distribution is corrupted."

Is it still presumed that my Visual Basic is corrupted even after I re-installed it manually with no luck?