Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
rebekah_harper

Keeping that darn filament dry

hiya all.

there are all sorts of solutions. I created a drum that went round the reel as a starter for ten. I have designed a case which I am yet to order the plexiglass for.

however, I decided to try something different.

A FOOD DEHYDRATOR.

so I went for it, found one for £23,-. Initially I thought it would be a main section and had tiers inside it. however that wasn't the case. It is all made up from layers. So ok, I decided to keep 2 with their grated bottom and removed the rest of them. Idea is to contain 2 spools.

I then designed a spool mount so they would sit nicely in the middle and allow to rotated. I then designed a tube holder to mount on the outside so that I can feed the filament without removing it from the Dehydrator. added a pneumatic fitting to hold the PTFE tube in place.

and this is what I ended up with.

5a334097e5402_PVADrum.thumb.jpg.58681f7601262e48b19ac31309715e5d.jpg

there are two spools of PVA in there at the moment. and one feeding tube. (only because that's all I had)

one of them has been playing up and low and behold, 1hr at 50deg and boom all was well.

so for about £30,- I have a fully wooorking solution. I will upload the parts I designed. I am also going to make a frame to go around the feeeder so I can hold the feeding tube in place during retract.

let me know what you think

Rebekah Anderson

5a334097e5402_PVADrum.thumb.jpg.58681f7601262e48b19ac31309715e5d.jpg

• Like 1