What's your take on what this rippling is caused by?

nzo

Posted (edited) · What's your take on what this rippling is caused by?

You folks at Ultimaker are probably really busy with the new forum about to be launched.

If you happen to have a moment to look at this 'rippling' problem and tell me what might cause it I'd appreciate it. I've looked through the troubleshooting guide but found nothing similar. Thanks.

UM2+, Cura 2.3.1, Settings below. PLA 3mm, Temp 210/60C

rippling.thumb.jpg.8b13db8178f806ce7409efd9c520ee2d.jpg

settings.thumb.Jpg.ce02c644c736c38771657a23bd379c88.Jpg

rippling.thumb.jpg.8b13db8178f806ce7409efd9c520ee2d.jpg

settings.thumb.Jpg.ce02c644c736c38771657a23bd379c88.Jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · What's your take on what this rippling is caused by?

what layer height are you using and size of print nozzle ?

Stu - please click on the right-hand image in my above post and it will open an image of my settings panel with the details you asked about. Thanks :)

I am not sure what it should look like. To me it is a cool looking pattern. So, with that in mind, could you either post a pic of the actual model or supply a link to the model so that goofy eyes such as mine can see what should have been to compare against?

Sure kman, here you go :)

5a3340c33ec30_CropperCapture1.Jpg.d1354e8cf65629973a8ad24e0d9e5b7f.Jpg

mask-2.thumb.jpg.4dbd0ae9ebdec73c7b281a88d0cf7976.jpg

As I have seen that model on another site, a lot of the issues you speak of can be cleaned out if you can print the mask vertically and not laying face down on the plate. It has to do with the 'resolution' of the layering and curvature. It is really no different than a low res bitmapped image that you can see the stair steps in. That is why it looks like a topo map.

Thanks neotko - that's a useful article to have on my desktop.

kman - what has me baffled is if the mask is printed vertically, how to go about supporting it on the print bed. I have one nozzle for PLA and that's it.

How would I specify the type of supports needed for this type of vertical model? What do such supports look like? I've read a bit about supports but until I do it it won't make sense. I need to learn this or I'm holding myself back from being more adventurous :)

kman - what has me baffled is if the mask is printed vertically, how to go about supporting it on the print bed. I have one nozzle for PLA and that's it.

How would I specify the type of supports needed for this type of vertical model? What do such supports look like? I've read a bit about supports but until I do it it won't make sense. I need to learn this or I'm holding myself back from being more adventurous :)

I have to admit that I am greatly spoiled by the UM3E and its two nozzles. I wish I could give a better answer to you.

I am hoping someone with better understanding of single nozzle support systems could explain how it would be applied.

But, just for kicks and giggles, try to use the default support settings in Cura for a single extruder. What have you got to lose other than some plastic and gaining more experience so that when you get an answer, it can make more sense.

It will require some cleaning, but it may not be that bad.

• Like 1

I appreciate your input kman! I'll fiddle with support and see what happens.

You could also do a classic spit in 4 parts so you always have a flat side to start. Then, glue, filler, sand, paint.

Also you could try printing at 0.04 layer height, will be really slow but if time isn’t important and you have enough thickness you will be able to sand/clean/paint it really well afterwards.

Be adventurous young person.....dare to be wild!! Have fun :)

And keep us posted. I would love to know your results.

Be adventurous young person.....dare to be wild!! Have fun

That made me laugh kman. You know the saying: Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups...I'll turn 76 next January :)

But yes, I am having fun and enjoy the challenge of new learning. Although I've had my "Why the hell did I get into this!" moments, the UM2+ is a printer out there on its own. I love watching it work. All we need now is teleportation for true long distance matter-transfer of finished prints etc :D

Be adventurous young person.....dare to be wild!! Have fun

That made me laugh kman. You know the saying: Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups...I'll turn 76 next January :)

Did not know that saying, but I always lived by "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained."

Pfffft, physical age has nothing to do with it until it is time to move. You are only about 9 years older than me, so I know you groan a bit when you have to bend over and squat and hear the pops and clicks, but the brain, it still thinks you are 18 :)

• Like 1

Spot on kman!