Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ManuelW

Infill Density for smaller parts

Hey there,

i use Cura 3.1 for testing. I came from S3D.

A question i can't find a answer, how can i manipulate the infill on one object for different part sizes?

What i mean as example, i have a big cube and a small cylinder on top of the cube. If i set the infill to 30% it is fine for the cube, but the cylinder has no infill than. In S3D i can make different settings for different heights, but i cant find something like that in Cura. I saw the gradual infill option, but i don't helps.

Maybe it would be possible, to have a option, the infill is calculated from the volume of at a layer height?

In the current stable version of Cura, you can select a model and then go to 'per model settings' on the left side tool bar. It is the icon that looks like 3 hourglass type of shapes. There you can choose almost all settings to apply individually.

Edited by Guest

Use infill meshes. Take care: this is not very easy, but once you get it...

A short how-to:

Unselect "keep models apart" and "drop models to build plate" in Cura preferences

Import a second object (for example a simple cube)

Put Cura in "custom mode"

Select the cube, and use the button "per object settings" on the left side

Select "Infill Mesh" and enable that setting

The cube now turns transparent gray.

Position the cube to overlap part of your model. It should overlap with the section that you want to change the infill for.

Also with "per object settings" select the option "infill density"

Set it to the desired value. All is more or less illustrated in the screenshot below

The picture shows a cube on the buildplate with infill 20%. Locally, with a rotated 2nd cube, the infill % is raised to 100%.

What happens is that the volume where the cube intersects with your object is locally sliced with different infill.Capture.thumb.PNG.8e2834d421b359e9d45a4fc423ac37cd.PNG

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Use infill meshes. Take care: this is not very easy, but once you get it...

A short how-to:

Unselect "keep models apart" and "drop models to build plate" in Cura preferences

Import a second object (for example a simple cube)

Put Cura in "custom mode"

Select the cube, and use the button "per object settings" on the left side

Select "Infill Mesh" and enable that setting

The cube now turns transparent gray.

Position the cube to overlap part of your model. It should overlap with the section that you want to change the infill for.

Also with "per object settings" select the option "infill density"

Set it to the desired value. All is more or less illustrated in the screenshot below

The picture shows a cube on the buildplate with infill 20%. Locally, with a rotated 2nd cube, the infill % is raised to 100%.

What happens is that the volume where the cube intersects with your object is locally sliced with different infill.

Thanks a lot. I'll try this tomorrow :)

Here's another example of using infill meshes - on this bracket I want the infill around the holes to be 99% but the whole bracket doesn't need that much so I have cylindrical shaped infill meshes:

Screenshot_2017-11-11_14-49-22.thumb.png.9fb66622941adde73c3d3873bd41de79.png

Screenshot_2017-11-11_14-33-40.thumb.png.8d6e25e610ec801e3e210b9f8a619b69.png

I think you showed that before, but I mistook it for different parts having different wall and infill by being part of the model. I did not realize you had done what I now understand.

Thanks for showing this again. :)