distance differenz between holes

micpic

Posted · distance differenz between holes

Hello,

we change from Makerbot to Ultimaker 3 and we have a Big Distance Difference between two holes are (1.25 mm). Must are 40mm Real is 41.25mm. Our Ultimaker 3 is new and we have much times the Printer calibrate  and check. The Problem is similar in Cura 3.1 and Simplify so that is a Printer Problem. But i dont know how can we fix it.

In the Attachment you find the File with the two Holes in the middle. We check this with a new simple quader File and two holes in the middle. It is the same different. We can not work with scaling or other things.We have two much pieces with many of bores and more.

I need a little helping Hand please.

Michael

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-08 um 19.23.50.png

Holes will always print with a smaller diameter than specified, hence your increase in distance between them. I assume you want the diameters to be correct although you do not mention that measurement. The solution is to change your model so that the holes have a larger specified diameter - you may have to reset this several times to get the diameters printed correctly  - then the distance between the two holes will be correct. 

3D printers do not print circles they print straight lines which is why diameters are printed smaller. 

7 hours ago, yellowshark said:

Holes will always print with a smaller diameter than specified, hence your increase in distance between them. I assume you want the diameters to be correct although you do not mention that measurement. The solution is to change your model so that the holes have a larger specified diameter - you may have to reset this several times to get the diameters printed correctly  - then the distance between the two holes will be correct. 

3D printers do not print circles they print straight lines which is why diameters are printed smaller. 

I know that Ultimaker and any other printer have problem with diameter of holes. With this issue we  test many of parameters and find a solution that the diameter are fine. Sorry but iam not a Newbie in 3D Printing iam a Newbie in Ultimaker ;-) before we work with two MAkerbot Printer and the Diameter are all fine. The Problem is the Distance from middle to middle. here is the diameter of the hole irrelevant. Middle to middle is middle to middle or not ? 

6 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Kinda curious if the makerbot printed the holes exactly or if that had been compensated for earlier.

Bigger Problem is the Distance for us. If i print  only two points. Vlosed small circle 2 mm with a distance of 30 or 40mm  without any border like quarter ore circle we have the same issue

Posted (edited) · distance differenz between holes

OK, I think I see what you are saying now. It is not the diameter of the holes but the distance between the holes. From midpoint of hole 1 to midpoint of hole 2, the distance should be 50mm, but you are getting, say, 51mm and the mating parts do not align. Yes? No?

Is the object on scale as a whole or just the holes themselves?

Have you tried to print calibration cubes of say 5mmx5mm and so forth to check if there is an issue with your specific printer? I do not think it is the make of printer, but that machine itself that may have issues.

What slicer are you using specifically?

Does each slicer you have tried have the same variance or difference?

Is the variance on both x and y axis?

Edited by kmanstudios

OK for sure if you are measuring centre to centre then what I said is irrelevant. I would expect to print that distance within 100 micron accuracy, probably within 50 microns, so something is going wrong somewhere to be that far out. You mention an attached file but I cannot see one on my display. If you can make one available I would be happy to do a print and see what I get. I think @kmanstudios suggestion to print a few other simple models and check their dimensions is a good idea. Did you build the model yourselves, if so what software was used?

What print speed are you using?

And just to verify and prevent any unnecessary facepalms after a lot of investigating, are we 100% sure that the initial reference (that it should be indeed 40mm) is correct?

13 minutes ago, SandervG said:

And just to verify and prevent any unnecessary facepalms after a lot of investigating, are we 100% sure that the initial reference (that it should be indeed 40mm) is correct?

Yes !!! But we have today fix this Issue in cooperation with our Reseller.. I check the tension of the straps and fix it new. And trarararara the distance are perfect. The Printer is New and never ever i look from this side. 

Many thanks to all

2 minutes ago, micpic said:

Yes !!! But we have today fix this Issue in cooperation with our Reseller.. I check the tension of the straps and fix it new. And trarararara the distance are perfect. The Printer is New and never ever i look from this side. 

Many thanks to all

Awesome :+1: