UM3-Extended firmware on regular UM3 after reseller service..

Rasmus

Posted · UM3-Extended firmware on regular UM3 after reseller service..

Hi everyone,

I have a rather inconvenient issue. In December, my UM3 (regular) refused to boot after a period of inactivity. I tried loading the recovery firmware image onto to a micro SD, and booting from this without luck - it was stone dead. I have now had the machine for service at my reseller, but it returned with the UM3 Extended firmware... I immediately found out something was wrong when the build plate smashed into the print head during a bed leveling, causing an awful, awful sound. Surely enough, in the "Maintenance - About this printer" menu, it reads "Ultimaker 3 Extended".

Now, how do I load the correct firmware onto the printer? I have tried updating from USB as well as a factory reset, but both defaults to UM3 Extended. I really do not hope I need to take it to the reseller again, as it is quite inconvenient. Plus my faith in their work isn't exactly super strong after this ordeal.

Looking forward to your input!

Rasmus

Wow!  This is a great question.  Maybe Erin knows.  The firmware is here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/

But that somehow "knows" which type of machine you have.  Maybe it's a jumper or something.

@fbrc8-erin  @Daid @neotko @nallath - do one of you know how to tell a UM3 that it is not an extended?

I'm going to guess you will have to put it in developer mode and ssh into the machine (in dev mode it tells you the ip address).  Do you know how to use ssh @rasmus?  If not I can send you instructions.  username is root, password is ultimaker.  But I don't know what to do after that.

• Like 1

Indeed the firmware is the same, there is 1 firmware for all machines. The type of machine however, is stored on internal EEPROM on the board.

The command "python3 /ulti_installer/configure_eeprom.py 9066" (or 9511 if you need an extended instead of a normal UM3) will change the machine type. Needs a reboot before it's picked up.

• Like 3