"Extra" object showing up when I print

jim hathaway

Posted · "Extra" object showing up when I print

This has happened on Cura 3.2 and 3.2.1.  When I print, I get an "extra" file of support material from extruder head 2.  This is definitely not part of any of my models, and only shows up when I have extruder 2 enabled.  It always shows up in the same place.  In the attached picture, this extra object is the small square tower in the bottom right.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I use all standard/recommended settings, so I don't think this is some weird experimental option bug or anything.  Please let me know if you've had this issue and if you were able to make it go away.  

Phantom object.png

Thanks, but what I'm getting at is that the little box/square tower in the bottom right of my image is not part of my .STL file.  It shows up every time I slice any .STL file, in exactly the same spot.  If I chose not to generate support, it does go away, but if I'm printing a model that needs support then this extra thing always shows up.  I can't make it go away.  It isn't selectable in Cura, I can't rotate it or move it, but if I place my part-to-be-printed over it, it says "Unable to slice - Nothing to slice because none of the models fit the build volume.  Please scale or rotate models to fit."  So every time I print I have to waste this extra material printing this phantom object.  I want to figure out how to make it go away even when I am printing with support.  

It depends on what materials you're printing with. For some, it's on by default. For others, it's optional. I usually keep it off for PLA/PVA most of the time, but PLA/PLA if it's a complicated print, I turn it on. 

It can be very useful when printing with two different materials, because it helps prevent leakage from one extruder to mess up your print when the other extruder works. It also ensure that material is indeed extruded from the print head, so you're less likely to have holes or little bits of underextrusion. Though, it can also generate problems on it's own.

I tend to keep it on for most of my dual prints because it tends to avoid most of the leakage to go on the print.

Some advice:

- Move it from the default position: default position tends not to be the best one, and the prime tower can fall over, especially if it gets tall, and ruin your print. There is an option on CURA to determine by yourself the coordinates of the tower. I've put mine at X = 130 and Y = 100.

- Make sure it has enough thickness: a thick tower is less likely to fall down and mess your print. I found out that setting the Minimum Thickness option to 3mm improves the stability and I didn't had any tower fall since then.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brulti said:

. I've put mine at X = 130 and Y = 100.

This.  This is a good idea - but maybe Y=180?  Y=100 is near the center.  I like it best in the rear center.  In either of the rear corners it won't squish well and it will fall over.

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

This.  This is a good idea - but maybe Y=180?  Y=100 is near the center.  I like it best in the rear center.  In either of the rear corners it won't squish well and it will fall over.

Rear center works too. I think the real advice is 'keep it away from the corners.' ;)