Windows 8.1 3D Printer Suport

robmiles

Posted · Windows 8.1 3D Printer Suport

We haven't talked about it yet. But most likely we will at some point.

Not because I think it's a good idea, but because the market will ask for it. That's the power Microsoft has. Currently I only need to maintain 1 code base, for Windows Linux and MacOS. Adding a special driver interface for Windows does not really help there. What is is good for, is that you no longer need to go trough the STL export step from other applications.

That windows 8 has only 5% market share means it's a low value target right now. (And I think of that 5% many would choose for windows 7 if they had the option) MacOS has only a slight higher market-share, but in my experience, the Mac users are much more common in the Ultimaker crowd then the general crowd. While it took 2 months for someone to notice that the drivers in Cura did not work on Win8.

• 6 months later...

Win 8 x64 is working fine for me. But since my Win 8 updated to Win 8.1 the printer don't work anymore. Why the hell don't you thell this on your homepage? You tell all other stuff about your printers and even that it works on the windows operating system. But it doesn't, and I have the actual windows operating system thats on the market at the moment, and it doesn't work. Thats a real shame.

I think we don't write here about a 50$ dynmo printer and if your printer does not work on any version of the windows operating systems, then you should write that in bold red letters on your homepage!

We've got cura working with win 8.1, we've got another in theory identical machine running win 8 that won't update to win 8.1 and has display issues with numerous 3d programs including cura........sometimes. The problem seems to be with the graphics card drivers, I'd swap to win 7 any day, never had such a disappointing purchase before, and I once owned a machine with vista! Delighted with the ultimaker original and cura.

We've got cura working with win 8.1, we've got another in theory identical machine running win 8 that won't update to win 8.1 and has display issues with numerous 3d programs including cura........sometimes. The problem seems to be with the graphics card drivers, I'd swap to win 7 any day, never had such a disappointing purchase before, and I once owned a machine with vista! Delighted with the ultimaker original and cura.

It seems most of the time windows 8 won't update to 8.1 because it doesn't have all the windows 8 updates. It seems that there are some important updates that don't install automatically for everyone. I had this problem.

Trying opening "check for updates" (I think you can just type that into metro and it should find it under settings) then apply all the "important updates". You might also want to browse through "optional updates" any see if any of those look good. I want to say that you might find things like driver updates and some optional software patches under "optional" that you might want to apply. Don't bother with language packs unless you need them for some particular reason.

Hi all,

I do not know what the problem is with benkly.

Since May 2013 I use CURA on my win8 laptop and since the 8.1 update was available, I updated to that. The only problems I have encountered were related to graphics drivers. This was all solvable.

So the issue has probably nothing to do with win 8 nor win 8.1.

For me thats easy. Before the Win 8.1 update all worked fine, also the 3D printer. After the update it does not work anymore. So the only thing I changed was from win 8 to win 8.1 and you will tell me it has nothing to do with that, ok......

But lets starting troubleshooting. I did the win 8.1 update without the printer connected to the PC. All went fine, some reboots and so on.

Few days later I wanted to print something and connected the printer by USB. The normal win sound for USB was there and win wanted to search and install a new driver -> first strange thing but ok since I did the win 8.1 update so I didn't worry about that.

But then win could not install the driver. It said that the device couldn't be installed because there was no or bad driver and the device manager shows a unknown device.

First thing I try was to install the driver by hand and point windows to the cura/driver dir to use that driver. It started to install the driver, but with same result. The driver for arduino something could not be installed.

Then I looked at the ultimaker homepage and searched for an update and downloaded the actual cura version. Again try to install the driver by hand and point to the new cura/driver dir. Win try to install but with the same problem, driver could not be installed.

Then I started to search the web or better this forum and see this thread and the post from the developer that said that the ultimaker printer do not work with win8 or win8.1.

Since then I did nothing else and don't know what should I do.

Benkly -

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. However, at least two people have posted on this thread saying that they have the printer working fine under Windows 8.1. The comment from Daid about Windows 8 having issues is over 6 months old.

If the issue is installing the Arduino drivers so your computer can talk to the electronics in the printer, maybe some of the troubleshooting tips in this thread might help - most likely the link to the article about installing untrusted drivers?

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=205837.0

My "guess" (I'm a unix guy) is that either there's a driver enforcement issue [ see http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9564-run-administrator-windows-8-a.html ], then if that succeeds, THEN plug the USB device in.

Hope this helps.

Hello

New to 3d printing, just bought a new 3d printer and a laptop to run it. I am a journeyman machinist so Additive manufacturing has me interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300972739406

The software that came with it was replicatorG . So far it and cura will not work on the laptop.

I have had to use my desktop running win7 and it runs great. I am just having the usual issues a lot of people starting out have. like not sticking to the Heated Build Platform. My question is Im not able to run the printer with the laptop running Win8.1 the isue it is giving me is with untrusted software and drivers. What do I need to do to fix this?

Also a lot of my experience with machining has been with mastercam7 currently there is no 3d printer support in mastercam, but I have seen solidworks is getting involved. I need a full software suit to go from design to print and Im not sure whats the best for an entry level person getting into 3d printing? And how do I get cura to work in Win8.1?

Thanks for any advice.

Scott