Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
CTotten

Aluminum Build Plate Upgrade for UM3/UM3E?

With the new UM S5 coming with both a glass and aluminum build plate, I was wonder if Ultimaker will offer an aluminum build plate upgrade for the UM3 line?  My firm exclusively uses engineering materials for our prints, so that aluminum build plate would be a great time saver.  We currently use the adhesion sheets, but the time/effort required to change those out periodically is becoming a pain.

That would be a great idea.  I know right now they have a supply issue with the plates but once that is straightened out - maybe there will be what you ask for.  It seems reasonable.  If not some 3rd party reseller (like 3dsolex) will probably come out with such a thing.

• Like 1

Can someone walk me through the specifics of this plate?  Would it have an integrated heater, or simply replace the glass? 

I know it can't be this simple, so let me ask the dumb question:  If the plate has no electronics connected to it, what would stop someone from milling a high quality alloy plate flat and going with that? 

John

On 5/3/2018 at 1:08 PM, JohnInOttawa said:

what would stop someone from milling a high quality alloy plate flat and going with that? 

There's nothing wrong with doing that.  I would recommend MIC6 aluminum which is a formulation designed to not-warp and is extra flat.  But I'm sure it will be cheaper and easier to just get the free sheet from UM for your S5.  I'm sure some 3rd party resellers like 3dsolex will sell aluminum plates for UM2, UM3 some day.

How is bonding different on aluminum, compared to glass? Could you print on bare aluminum, like on glass, for PLA, PET, and similar materials? Does it stick as well, or better, or worse?

I am happy with my glass plates, so I have no desire to switch. Just out of curiosity.