Major problem with Yellow PLA from Ultimaker [Not realy solved]

MaxMax

Posted (edited) · Major problem with Yellow PLA from Ultimaker [Not realy solved]

I have one roll of Black PLA from ADD3D (made in Sweden) with these parameters in extruder 1:

Density: 1,24 g/cm³

Diameter: 2.85 mm

Extrude temp: 200°C

Retract: 2 mm

Retract speed: 25 mm/s

Standby temp: 175 °C

Fan speed: 100%

In extruder 2 I have original yellow PLA from Ultimaker with the predefined profile in Cura:

Density: 1,24 g/cm³

Diameter: 2.85 mm

Extrude temp: 200°C

Retract: 2 mm (also tested with 1mm at 210°C)

Retract speed: 25 mm/s

Standby temp: 175 °C

Fan speed: 100%

Heatbed at 60°C and I have a complete enclosure (Top-Hod and front door).

The black PLA is printing with exceptional good quality but the Yellow is behaving extreemly strange and produces a full birdnest of strings. Unfortunatly I removed the strings by hand before I took any pictures (doh ? ). It seems like it has been feed as it should because there are no marks on the PLA filament indicating otherwise.

First print:
YellowPLA_Fail_1a.thumb.jpg.e9b2246159cb851223dc46151a8dddf7.jpg YellowPLA_Fail_1b.thumb.jpg.d6bb993a004d9721c37489284621ec53.jpg

The black i perfect and even very small details such as the "bolt holes" in the base top surface are perfect. The Yellow PLA from Ultimaker however is not performing at all. These is all aout of the box, no parameters changed.

Then I tried to rise the temperature a bit to 210°C and retract to 1mm and it got even worse.

YellowPLA_Fail_2a.thumb.jpg.e1be77bcedd2ba4a7018ea6813e71c63.jpgYellowPLA_Fail_2b.thumb.jpg.420bf8f44158fa542437314bf10f590e.jpg

The upper half of the second yellow stripe (from the bottom) should be solid yellow without any material change, but that part is the worst.

I don't know if this is because of the PLA itself or if Cura has messed it up completley?

I have also attached the project file for the first printout.

UM3_Tile_Wall.curaproject.3mf

Edited by MaxMax
Solved

Posted · Major problem with Yellow PLA from Ultimaker [Not realy solved]

Two questions: 

1) when you say 'out of the box' I just want to be clear, both rolls were not exposed to air for any length of time prior to this print?  (1a) If the yellow had been opened, how long ago was that?

2) Did you try swapping print cores to see if the yellow prints any better through a different core?

Looks like a real annoyance.   Hopefully someone smarter than me will see an easy fix and share it shortly.

John

• Like 1

I would assume, looking at this that your AA print core for the Yellow is dirty and may need a hot and cold pull to make sure it is working fine.

And, I am assuming you are using a UM3 series with print cores and that you are using the AA print core for the yellow material. And, that it is seated correctly.....

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, it was my bad...
    It had grinded the filament and then managed to get a grip again and feed it a bit more, then the grinded part got stuck just when it enters the bowden tube, so I couldn't see it until I took the feeder apart.

When trying to unload the material it wasn't retracting and that made me take the feeder apart and then I saw what happened.

No tjhis wasn't solved after all... Another print eneded up as the same... grinding for a while, moving on, grinding, moving on... I will post a new one about this.

Grinding.  Hmmm..I would wonder about temperature, then feed rate, then whether the extruder teeth are contaminated (with ground up filament), which would reduce traction and lead to easier grinding....

John