Architect Design Contest | People

SandervG

Posted · Architect Design Contest | People

1850755118_Maquette-01long.thumb.jpg.13f7870e5b73f00a8335daed22f3d9b6.jpg

3D printing a scaled model can really help to get your idea across during a client presentation. But besides your main model, you can add details to get your idea across vividly! An architect regularly uses various entourage sets to help bring their ideas to live. In our previous contest, we focussed on different vehicle sets to be used in projects like urban planning. 

In this contest, the theme is people. People can be used in any type of project, both small and big. 

The goal of this contest is to design a set of people figurines that could be used in such a project to make an area, office or mall seem populated. 

Think of different types of people in different environments, like walking people, people standing still, working people, and both men and women. Since most projects get scaled down, so will the people. So be considerate which level of detail you want to apply. You may also consider using just silhouettes as long as they are still recognizable. ?

Separated in 3 segments we would like to ask for your help to design and provide the best entourage sets.

There are some rules though:

- One set should contain a minimum of 6 different models

- It should be designed for 3D printing, no overhangs and it should be printable in single extrusion (without PVA).*

- It should be submitted in a 1:100 scale so it is easy to scale up or down depending on one's project

- You can submit as many entries as you want

- Ultimakers and the winning entries will be made available to use for free as entourage sets by Ultimaker

- You can only submit your own designs

- It is recommended if your submission has a theme like 'Office workers'. 'People walking' or 'Adults and kids'. 
- Each segment will run for a period of 3 weeks
- Got a submission? You can add an STL to your reply below. (It's also possible to add it to 3D files, but make sure to add a link to the replies below too. We only review the replies).

* -As an example, when designing our example vehicle set for the previous contest we initially had a little detail in each tire that represented a rim. A nice tough we thought. But upon printing, this little detail made the first layer unreliable and therefore the whole print. We removed the detail and can now run a full set without any concerns.

Example set: People in city neighborhood.
1307191092_People-detailslong.thumb.jpg.d25d34e338c2c64a2138a355098d558a.jpg

We've also made an Ultimaker Peoplepack.zip. Hopefully it will get your creative juices flowing! 

Feel free to download, inspect and use it at your convenience. 

The Start.

We're open for entries and looking forward seeing what you will submit. Each theme will run for 3 weeks, which means this people theme will run until August 1st.  When the contests are over, we will make sure the winning entries are available in this architect sub-forum and Ultimaker will continue to add to these entourage sets if necessary. Of course, we hope that everyone who submits a set will do the same.

We'll start with vehicles, then people and finally trees. 

The Prize. Important!

So, what can you win?
In each contest, there are 2 prizes to win. 
First prize; a large filament pack. Containing 10 reels of filament; white PLA. 
Second prize, a small filament pack. Containing 5 reels of filament; white PLA. 

The Jury.

@Stefania Dinea and I, (@SandervG) are the jury. We will look for the design for 3D printing element (remember, we want to make your life easier!) and your choice of design/subject, i.e., which set we think will be used most eventually.

Looking forward seeing your entries! 

Wow, designing them is one thing, but printing people in scale 1:100 (thus ca. 17mm high) with lots of detail on an FDM-printer, that is going to be tough! Your print-settings would have to be absolutely perfect to be able to even recognise them as a man or girl, or even as human. Maybe cloakfiend could do it, but else?

I don't want to ruin your contest, but I would rather buy unpainted sets of figurines in HO-scale from Preiser or similar companies. There are sets for leisure people, business people, working people, sitting people, musicians, animals, farmers, and lots of others. They are all very detailed, and modeled after real people. In total they have thousands of different models. It must have been an incredible job to model all these manually on such a small scale, and to make injection moulds for it. Usually they come in white or pastel colors. There is no way you can beat that with 3D-printing.

As a kid I used to paint them myself. But for architecture maybe it is better to keep them white?

In addition to their HO-scale series (=1:87) which seems to be the biggest assortment, they also exist in scale N (=ca. 1:150), scale O (=1:43), architecture scales (1:200, 1:100, 1:50), and others. But I think HO people would also be suitable for architecture buildings at 1:100, since the difference is not that big.

Google for: ho scale people preiser unpainted set

And then view the images.

Preiser homepage:

https://www.preiserfiguren.de/

Or see the PDF catalog of Preiser's unpainted HO-sets:

https://www.preiserfiguren.de/download.php?file=055 - 16325-16400.pdf

Sounds like a good alternative. Just like outsourcing your 3D print to print services like shapeways, but there is a big advantage when you can do it yourself timewise and design-wise.

The figurines don't need to have a lot of details per se, they can be silhouettes even. And they don't necessarily need to be printed at 1:100 scale. The rationale for making 1:100 a benchmark scale is that it is uniform (if all sets are 1:100) and easily scaled up or down when your project is of a different size. So eventually it could be that an architect would use a set at 1:50 and just scales up one of the submissions. 

On 7/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, geert_2 said:

Wow, designing them is one thing, but printing people in scale 1:100 (thus ca. 17mm high) with lots of detail on an FDM-printer, that is going to be tough! Your print-settings would have to be absolutely perfect to be able to even recognise them as a man or girl, or even as human. Maybe cloakfiend could do it, but else?

*cough*

IMG_8938.thumb.jpg.102dcebf87f50b2795302031a170e775.jpg

This little guy isn't even 10mm tall (printed at 1:200) and is most definitely recognisably human. He sits (stands!) on top of my monitor at work. So 1:100 is most definitely easy and doable!

• Like 2

I've just uploaded an example people set we have made our selves. It's uploaded to the original post. Feel free to take a look, and use them at your convenience! 

Hello All,

Hope you all are doing good!!!

Here is my entries for people and these are dangerous and unique people like my designs!!!??

people4.stl

people5.stl

people6.stl

people7.stl

UM2E_people 1.stl

UM2E_people1.stl

people.stl

I decided to take the challenge, and to design a set of people myself.  :)

However, when it comes to ultrafine details and lots of variation, there is no way we can beat the Preiser models with our FDM-printers and standard 0.4mm nozzles. So I didn't try that. If you want realistic, finely detailed models, the best option is to buy unpainted Preiser sets: this gives you about 100 little people for about 30 euro. Google for: preiser ho figuren

Instead, I decided to take a totally different approach and optimise my set for 3D-printing, so it can be printed easily and fast. I designed it in harmony with the cars already shown in the previous contest. Thus my people are a bit abstract and cartoonesque, but they do fit-in well with the cars. They are sort of cardboard-people, "Cardboardians", living in the country New Cardboardia, which is nearby Tsunamia, Quakeland, and Volcanostan.

Scale is ca. 1:100, as requested. But by slightly varying this, you would get more variation.

The biggest advantage is that these people can be printed on their back, so they print way cleaner than "upright people", and way faster. After printing, they can easily be broken off the support bar which helps making printing easier. They require very little post-processing. They can be printed without warping, and without damaging while removing them, if printed in PLA using my salt method for bonding, I tried it. Other bonding methods should work too, but you may need to be carefull not to damage them when removing them.

If you don't want to glue these people to your architectural model, you could glue them on a transparent piece of plastic (mica or similar) of ca. 10mm x 10mm, like Preiser does with most of its painted models. Then you can move them around and recycle them for the next project. The transparent base does not visually hurt.

I recommend printing at 0.1mm layer-height, speed 20...25mm/s, and at a low-medium temperature. All can be printed with a standard 0.4mm nozzle, since all legs and arms are wider than 0.4mm.

See the photos of upright printed people compared to my cardboardians below. The upright model is not my design, but downloaded from thingiverse, named "Elf girl", designed by Robyn, daughter of "southoz"; if I have all that info correctly. Actually this Elf Girl is a very nice design, and 3D-printing it in scale 1:10 (17mm) does not do justice to it.

The red elf girl is printed with 4 together, plus a dummy cooling block of 10mm x 10mm x 20mm, at very low speed (20mm/s) and low temperature (180°C) in PLA. The green one at the left is also printed with 4 together, slow, with dummy block, but at normal temp (210°C). The blobby one is printed standalone at normal temp (210°C), without dummy cooling block, and slow; but it obviously had not enough cooling and is hardly recognisable. And the last Elf Girl is printed single too, slow, but at low temp (180°C). The cardboardians are printed slow (25mm/s) at medium temp (ca. 200°C).

You can see that upright printed people look like zombies, where pieces of rotten flesh are coming off (strings and blobs). Or they look like aliens in space suits (not enough cooling). Not like humans. This weirdness might hurt in an architectural model. My cardboardians however, look way more neutral and unobtrusive. Even though the designs are crude and cartoonesque, they come out cleaner when printed. And they are similar to the cars, and to typical vegetation. So there is more harmony in the scene.

The set contains several men, women, and kids. Most are unique, but a few of the neutral models have duplicates. (The additional bonus set was my first try, containing 8 identical people and thus not conform the rules, outside of the competition. But since I have it anyway, I can as well share it.)

The models are under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license: you can use them for free, for whatever purpose, thus also for commercial projects (for example an architectural design for a client, or for publishing on the Ultimaker website). But you can not ask money for the design files: these have to stay free. You may make modifications and derivations too, but if you share them, it also has to be for free under the same license.

cardboardians_set.stl

cardboardians_bonus.stl

cardbordians_set.thumb.jpg.d172be8bba803daf8d2038975a4dccd2.jpg

Set of cardbordian people, scale ca. 1:100.

cardbordians_bonus.thumb.jpg.d0cf450213c9f1d63971199ab00f4214.jpg

Bonus set (outside of contest).

elf_girl_by_robyn.jpg.7823b392316c7881b825432182be2071.jpg

Beautiful Elf Girl, by Robyn (downloaded from thingiverse), for comparison in print tests.

cardbordians_set_printed.thumb.jpg.2ea169a20ce0dc31fa8d6331fb75ea2b.jpg

Cardbordians as printed. I removed a couple of thin hairs, but no other post-processing.

cardbordians_vs_zombies.thumb.jpg.9a1a119d87b86d1d511a42eb14947dca.jpg

Elf Girl (printed upright) vs. Cardboardian people (printed on their back). See body text above for more info on printing parameters.

preiser_figuren_ho_2.thumb.jpg.ca1005842afa2fa7a8ebabe18bd87adb.jpg

Preiser HO-scale people (=1:87, close to 1:100). But they also exist in other scales. In case you need really detailed people, and a huge amound of variation...

• Like 6

Sadly, I just finished a set of projects that took up all my time and effort (and a couple still in process) and I may not make it this go around. Although I do not think I will need to do print tests with the ideas I have in mind like I felt I needed to with the Vehicles. But, I will give it a shot, if anything, to contribute to the open source philosophy ?

Fingers crossed!!

Hey Everyone!

I'm glad I had time to participate in an entourage contest again, and here is my submission!

I designed these people with references from Skalgubbar, Cutout People by Taodor Javanud Emden

There are 14 people, with various types, ages and poses. The main goal here is to being able to maintain the quality of the architectural model, and give a feeling like it is alive - Just in like Sims games; at least this is what I had in my mind while creating these!-

There are two variations of every human silhouette: With Base and Without Base. It's completely up to you to use the one you prefer. 

Ones with base are just for to have a simpler attachability to model surface.

Important : Some models may be unable to printed at 1:100 scale with 0.4mm nozzle, due to thickness of some parts on models. However, It'll be no problem for 1:50 scale.

I'd suggest to print all of them with 0.25 nozzle, for better results.

I hope you all will enjoy them, and best luck for all participants!

If there are any questions or ideas, feel free to contact me!

People Entourage Set.zip

Improved set of people:

I was not really happy with my previous set: it was too monotonous and just not good enough. But at that moment I had run out of time and out of inspiration...

So here is an improved set, with more people, more variation, and in which the people are more alive. Now there are around 35 people in total, men, women and kids. And no more duplicates, although some people still have similarities since they are derived from each other, as it goes in families.  :-)

This set supercedes the old one.

I also corrected a few details that did not come out well in the first set, e.g. hats and shoes.

The philosophy is of course the same as in my previous post.

humanoid10.thumb.jpg.2aca01e4e7553beb0175740c240d5bb2.jpg

humanoid10b.thumb.jpg.9e2c99ee310244a8584ffdb87bd37b20.jpg

STL-file: humanoid10.stl

ZIP-file (hope it uploads well):cardboardian_people.zip

The set is now printing and looks good so far. First layers are already done. Printing parameters: 25mm/s, 195°C, 0.1mm layer height, colorFabb PLA/PHA, my salt method for bonding (you can see the traces of salt and the shadows they cast). Keep in mind that most of these people are only between 15 and 18mm high.

They should blend in well with the cars from the previous contest, and with typical vegetation in architectural models.

DSCN5849b.thumb.jpg.fbfd419685ff4ac19750ee85d7e11e36.jpg

new_set_printing.thumb.jpg.bd703f113757243676aa1753eb41dd35.jpg

The zip-file contains the same STL-file, a few JPG-images, and also the native DesignSpark Mechanical files (=the program in which I created the set; freeware). It also contains a few intermediate versions: if you want to edit the set, these might be easier than the final version, depending on what you want to do.

Still missing from the set: people sitting, watching TV, reading, laying down, sleeping, using their handy,... But these are not the most easy to design and print recognisably at scale 1:100. Maybe I will add them later, maybe not.

Feel free to edit and improve the set, and to add people or accessories as you see fit. You can use it for any purpose you want, also commercially. But if you redistribute the set, or your derivation of it, you have to keep it free (Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license); you can not take that freedom away.

Also, feel free to borrow the concept, and design your own sets according to this philosophy.

I hope the set is useful. If yes, I would welcome a few pictures of architectural models which features these people.

PS: due to limited internet-access during the holidays, it may take a few days or weeks before I see any replies and comments. Have patience...  :-)

• Like 3

I love the hoola hoop!!! That is so cool, but, I cannot steal it. Wish I had thought of it though!!

?

5 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I love the hoola hoop!!! That is so cool, but, I cannot steal it. Wish I had thought of it though!!

?

Feel free to recycle and re-use these ideas, I would welcome it.

At this scale it have to be expressive games with lots of body motion anyway. Kids playing Monopoly wouldn't print too well...  :-)

Also, this helps overcoming the too flat "cardboardness" of this concept.

I had thought about doing a couple of yoga-poses too, or kids playing with big water guns, or playing "cowboy and indian" (this was a favorite in the old days; not sure if it is still politically correct, probably not...). But their use in architectural models might be somewhat limited, unless someone is going to design a school or so, or a scouts camp. Thus that will be for later. Maybe.

Posted (edited) · Architect Design Contest | People
    49 minutes ago, geert_2 said:

this was a favorite in the old days; not sure if it is still politically correct

Getcha in a heap o' hot water here.....same as cops and robbers.....

Feel free to recycle and re-use these ideas, I would welcome it.

Naw...that is a cool thing you did. I gots me own things I am trying to get caught up on.....

Also, this helps overcoming the too flat "cardboardness" of this concept.

I am not so sure that is a bad thing as people are dressing and to get too complicated takes from the Architectural focus. That is why the vehicles took so much longer for me...trying to be good, but not attention drawing.

Edited by kmanstudios

And I made it!!!

Nothing Gonzo this time....Brain fried.....

Edit: I made these people's scaled to the sized of the UM People pack person standing. I figured that was a good example.

Edit 2: Skateboard is made to be printed on its side like the vehicles.

Edit 3: Replaced Workouts folder with modified weightlifter for a stronger bar. Replaced image also.

I have several sets based on different types of activities.

First Up: Dancin'. Boogie shoes abound!

Dancin.thumb.jpg.21f95a4557fcb55c03a93dcf7441a69a.jpg

Workouts

Workouts.thumb.jpg.1ecd8d4b44ff84242ab122d9d90b0aeb.jpg

Running

Running.thumb.jpg.7c7707ef279dac6e4bbe12ee3df921f9.jpg

Freeform

Freeform.thumb.jpg.1b4f102bcd5950b15fd5f7d798b6a6de.jpg

Business

Business.thumb.jpg.d34788183e3b3967630707d370116162.jpg

Skateboarding

Skateboarding.thumb.jpg.594acb762d84ffd7dac9678aee01196f.jpg

And as usual, you can mix and match the people with the "bases". For instance here, I took a freeform person and put it on the skateboard base. Did scale it a bit. Maybe you want a business person on a skateboard? I dunno...it is up to you! ?

Mix-N-MatchExample.thumb.jpg.e275572230877291b9d0859a0b7e5aa8.jpg

And!! A Bonus person for your desktop!! Calling out all Floyd fans!!

FloydMeetsPink.thumb.jpg.e7eecb5a8db6406b4f56aaf669566c24.jpg

All sets have a set of bases with them based on different sizes. For instance in workouts, you have round and elliptical bases. This is just to make it easy to find them ?

Skateboarding.zip

Running.zip

Freeform.zip

Dancin.zip

Business.zip

Workouts.zip

Bonus.zip

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 3:10 AM, SarpSusuzer said:

Hey Everyone!

I'm glad I had time to participate in an entourage contest again, and here is my submission!

I designed these people with references from Skalgubbar, Cutout People by Taodor Javanud Emden

There are 14 people, with various types, ages and poses. The main goal here is to being able to maintain the quality of the architectural model, and give a feeling like it is alive - Just in like Sims games; at least this is what I had in my mind while creating these!-

There are two variations of every human silhouette: With Base and Without Base. It's completely up to you to use the one you prefer. 

Ones with base are just for to have a simpler attachability to model surface.

Important : Some models may be unable to printed at 1:100 scale with 0.4mm nozzle, due to thickness of some parts on models. However, It'll be no problem for 1:50 scale.

I'd suggest to print all of them with 0.25 nozzle, for better results.

I hope you all will enjoy them, and best luck for all participants!

If there are any questions or ideas, feel free to contact me!

People Entourage Set.zip

i took a look. I waited until I was finished as I did not want to run the risk of something sitting in the brain, but popping out in my work.

I like the silhouettes, but I am not sure the base would hold them up. But, that just means someone can scale it up a bit in x or y and it would work. Nice mix to add for the collection to be presented as a community effort! :)

I hope you do not mind the feedback.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

i took a look. I waited until I was finished as I did not want to run the risk of something sitting in the brain, but popping out in my work.

I like the silhouettes, but I am not sure the base would hold them up. But, that just means someone can scale it up a bit in x or y and it would work. Nice mix to add for the collection to be presented as a community effort! :)

I hope you do not mind the feedback.

I’m always open for feedback and your feedback made me happy, thank you!

I wanted to keep bases within the dimensions of silhouettes as much as I can. Yeah, someone can scale these bases as they will, that’s why I  put Rhinoceros file too! It’s always open for improvements, feedbacks and more! :)

Thanks everyone for the submissions, they look amazing! Just a few more hours until this contest closes. 

Will we see any more entries?

Though I had planned to enter this contest (and the one before that), I've been landed with a number of time-critical matters that all must be completed before I can work on personal projects.

Sorry to hear that @slspencer . Hopefully you'll find a moment in your time to join the next contest ? You're certainly more than welcome to participate. 

For now, this content is closed. I want to thank everyone for participating. Once again, the entries look great. Both the submitted models but also the thought and expertise that went in there creating a recognizable and model on such a small scale. 

@Stefania Dinea and I will closely evaluate all entries and we'll let you know in a few days time who won this Entourage | people contest. 

Hello everyone, I have been away from any form of internet connection for a while since I was on vacation but seems I am back just in time to see what you guys have been working on. I am really liking the entries and can't wait to take a close look at them all. As @SandervG said, we will take a look and he will announce the winners in a few days. 

Just now, Stefania Dinea said:

away from any form of internet connection for a while since I was on vacation

Totally unplugged....wow....? I cannot even imagine!!

10 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Totally unplugged....wow....? I cannot even imagine!!

@kmanstudios It was a very big nerve wrecking experience, now I have a hard time sitting in front of a PC - I will get back to it in no time, since I can’t participate in the contests, I am doing other things. Like this little piece that holds up my rolls of filament. 

B2AF06E7-3FE6-4A43-BE77-ED8758543591.jpeg

Edited by Stefania Dinea
    • Like 1