Mark2 Firmware

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

Hi Mark2 community.

First of course, I want to thank you for your big work on Mark2.

The website is beautiful, the 3D models are printing OK (even if I could not print without support as advice in the website), and it's cool to have the expansion board availlable to buy.

So I passed the most difficult parts :

1) mounting the 2nd printhead

2) connecting board, motor, printhead. Here I had to make 2 cables prolongations (temperature and motor). The heater cable prolongation was part of "mark2 board package", just had to strip insulation.

and now, I'm blocked by firmware.

first, it's not clear which one I need. I guessed that I need to use an "expansion" firmware ( for example : Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.09.hex ). I'm not sure I want the "tinker" things, but it seams that the last version is only with Tinker.

So a small "readme" file in the firmware folder on Github (  https://github.com/foehnsturm/Mark2/tree/master/firmware ) describing the option like "what does mean 'extended', 'expansion', 'dual', what is the changelog between the 3 availlable version, which firmware is the recommended one..." would be very appriciated

I'm actually blocked by "uploading a firmware". I downloaded the last CURA version 3.4.1, and the "upload custom firmware" dialog just freezes after I choose the firmware.
I used another computer with CURA 3.2.1, the same dialog say "starting firmware upload" .... but the waiting bar is falling in a infinite loop for more than 15min.

when I tried to print after these test, I could prove that there no firmware damage/change have been done.

Do you think I badly connected a cable ? should I use another CURA version (I thing I have seen somewhere 3,2, but I can't find where I read that)

Thanks a lot in advance, and again, thanks for the job done.

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

In the past people have been all posting questions in this thread below - your answer might already be on one of those 6 pages of questions and answers.   I'm not sure if @foehnsturm is more likely to see a post there or if you'll get a reply from him here.  But I just mentioned his name so hopefully he'll see your question.

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

It should be there somewhere but I had no luck with a quick search. So: 

Tinker-Mark2-dual  -> Standard UM2(+) Mark2 but without the tiny Mark2 PCB  

Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board -> UM2(+) Mark2 with the Mark2 PCB

--- extended --- > same for UM2(+) Extended printers

I assume you don't have the PCB as you had to extend cables.

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

I got it !!!

I first retried with 3.4.1, and then I installed CURA 3.2  (and no 3.2.1) and it worked.

Probably using the right firmware (extended+expension-board instead of just "expansion") helped

So now, I'm going to follow all the "calibrations" steps.

thank you.

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

?

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

I know where I found the advice to use Cura 3.2 : it's in the Github folder, there is a "Cura-3.2-ressources" folder.

Might I suggest some changes on this "Step 5 - Installing Mark2 firmware":

• the page might be renamed as "Step 5 - Installing Mark2 firmware + Software"
    • you don't make any warning about "cura-ressouces" version. It seems there is 3.2 and an another one "cura-ressources". For which version should we use this folder ?
    • Small tipping errors § "Adding the "Ultimaker Mark2" printer in Cura" :
      • " which translates to "plugins / plugins / PostProcessingPlugin / "  ("plugins/" is doubled)
      • There you should find a new entry labelled "Ultimaker Mark2". : That's wrong, the new entry is "Mark2 for Ultimaker2" and appears in "others" ( I bet on "ultimaker" or "custom"...)

Is it normal that there is non "mark2 for Ultimaker2 Extended" ?

Posted (edited) · Mark2 Firmware

I just got into Dual Extrusion, have an ultimaker 2 (not +), installed the second extruder (kept and drilled out new hole on original fan set) and moved the old extruder to side two to get the longer cable length. I now have hooked up two olssen blocks and have calibrated their heights from the print bed. I do not have the mini expansion board. Can I plug in directly to the main ultimaker 2 board and use the Tinker-Mark2-dual-17.09.hex ?

Best Regards,

Dean

Edited by michelide

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

If i got this right, you don't have a second printhead and you don't use the magnetic toolchanger, right?

Do you have a picture of your changes (just to be sure)?

In this case you can make no use of the expansion board (it's used for the second set of fans). You have to connect the second extruder motor to the mainboard in any case.

And you don't need the Mark2-firmware - use the "normal" dual variant instead.

(Well - you can probably use the Mark2 firmware too, if you disable the toolchange scripts in the "Dual mode" preferences. But that's not the intended use and more or less untested.)

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

Thanks for the Reply.

Correct I do not have second print head I only have second extruder. Do not have magnetic toolchanger. All electrical connections go to the main circuit board.

Could you send a link to the normal dual variant firmware? I have been looking for one but all my searches lead to the Mark2 firmware and this is why I thought I needed it.

Posted · Mark2 Firmware
    5 hours ago, 2diabolos said:

I know where I found the advice to use Cura 3.2 : it's in the Github folder, there is a "Cura-3.2-ressources" folder.

Might I suggest some changes on this "Step 5 - Installing Mark2 firmware":

• the page might be renamed as "Step 5 - Installing Mark2 firmware + Software"
    • you don't make any warning about "cura-ressouces" version. It seems there is 3.2 and an another one "cura-ressources". For which version should we use this folder ?
    • Small tipping errors § "Adding the "Ultimaker Mark2" printer in Cura" :
      • " which translates to "plugins / plugins / PostProcessingPlugin / "  ("plugins/" is doubled)
      • There you should find a new entry labelled "Ultimaker Mark2". : That's wrong, the new entry is "Mark2 for Ultimaker2" and appears in "others" ( I bet on "ultimaker" or "custom"...)

Is it normal that there is non "mark2 for Ultimaker2 Extended" ?

Thank you. I made some corrections.  

There's no separate  "mark2 for Ultimaker2 Extended" definition. I think the only important thing the Extended defintion files are overriding is the machine_height setting. 

Posted · Mark2 Firmware

Thank you.
    So I just went to "machine Printers", then select the "mark2 for Ultimaker2" (should be activated to see the ...) --> "machine Settings" button.

And here, I can change the parameter "Z (Height)" to 305 (which is the value set in "Ultimaker 2 Extended+" printer.

Posted · Mark2 Firmware
    On 7/23/2018 at 5:02 PM, michelide said:

Could you send a link to the normal dual variant firmware?

standard firmware for dual extrusion comes with every Cura installation
    (only for UM2, not for the "plus" models):

.../resources/firmware/MarlinUltimaker2-dual.hex
    .../resources/firmware/MarlinUltimaker2extended-dual.hex

all releases of the "tinker" firmware are to be found here:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

Posted (edited) · Mark2 Firmware

Never mind,  I got it working  🙂  UM3 toolchange

I converted my UM2 into a UM3.   UM3 head is mounted.

How can I edit the "tool change" script ?   I need to edit it so that it can " flip the lever" on the UM3 head to switch to the 2nd nozzle.

Edited by superdave42