S5 - Print Core BB hitting buildplate

neuronex

Posted (edited) · S5 - Print Core BB hitting buildplate

Hi,

Issue: Print Core BB presses into the buildplate when printing.

I've installed Print Core BB for a second material.

Did manual bed-leveling - both cores leveled properly.

When starting a print - Core AA prints fine, then BB prints but presses right into the build-plate by almost 1mm. Have leveled the bed again, ran the XY calibration setup, but that doesn't work because once AA has printed it's grid, BB comes and presses into the bed again. Any idea what the issue might be? It's like there's an offset somewhere that's putting the BB Core closer to the buildplate, however - it can't be in Cura / slicer because I had the same issue after leveling and running the XY calibration setup.

I'll also note here that auto-leveling has completely disappeared from menu since the latest 5.0.19.20180622 update.

Thanks.

Edited by neuronex

Posted · S5 - Print Core BB hitting buildplate

Have inserted another AA core (so both slots are now AA - AA) and still the second print core (the one on the right) presses into the buildplate when printing. Have levelled the bed again with no luck.

What do you mean by both cores levelled properly?

Did you first level it for AA and then BB? That would be wrong because you only have to level it for the nozzle on the left. 

That might be a misunderstanding but I just want to make sure.

15 minutes ago, Julian2801 said:

I mean that when you manually level the bed it levels to Core AA (on the left) then right at the end you do a single level adjustment for BB (Core on the right).

If it is passing a leveling (The automatic one before each print), and then crashing a nozzle into the buildplate, then something is amiss. It could also destroy a nozzle like that. That is why I suggest getting in contact with reseller.

Posted (edited) · S5 - Print Core BB hitting buildplate
    9 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

If it is passing a leveling (The automatic one before each print), and then crashing a nozzle into the buildplate, then something is amiss. It could also destroy a nozzle like that. That is why I suggest getting in contact with reseller.

Yeah oddly after updating firmware the automatic leveling is no longer available. Not even in the menu.

Edited by neuronex

Replaced left side Core AA with another unused Core AA, Core BB in the right.

After running bed leveling selected XY calibration.

For the first time it ran an active leveling test before the calibration and it seems to be fine now - core BB printing properly.

Not sure if replacing AA forced a reset, or there was an issue with AA core. Will see once XY calibration is complete if menu option for Active Leveling is still missing.

24 minutes ago, neuronex said:

Yeah oddly after updating firmware the automatic leveling is no longer available. Not even in the menu.

Mine is printing right now so I cannot check, but ti should always go through a leveling process on its own just before printing. If that is not happening, then something is really amiss as you cannot turn it off.

It is set to run that automatic leveling to compensate for such a large glass plate heating up and deforming, if only a tiny, tiny bit.

22 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Mine is printing right now so I cannot check, but ti should always go through a leveling process on its own just before printing. If that is not happening, then something is really amiss as you cannot turn it off.

It is set to run that automatic leveling to compensate for such a large glass plate heating up and deforming, if only a tiny, tiny bit.

Strange - because when I first got the printer there was a menu option for auto leveling and I had it set to 'never' as I usually run the active leveling manually myself every few days rather than before each print. After the firmware update the Active Levelling option is no longer available.

Active leveling is always enabled on the S5 and has therefore no menu entry.

@neuronex please get in contact with your reseller, something might be wrong with the print head cable or the print head pcb if one of the two print cores behaves like this during active leveling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Active leveling is always enabled on the S5 and has therefore no menu entry.

@neuronex please get in contact with your reseller, something might be wrong with the print head cable or the print head pcb if one of the two print cores behaves like this during active leveling.

Cannot get a better endorsement than that :)

So, +1

I think I ran into this issue on one or two UM3s. I tightened the build plate leveling screws all the way down/tight then ran the manual leveling script and that seemed to fix it.

13 minutes ago, starbuck said:

I think I ran into this issue on one or two UM3s. I tightened the build plate leveling screws all the way down/tight then ran the manual leveling script and that seemed to fix it.

I will have to say that I have not tightened it down that much as it removes any play in the buildplate when it comes across a blob or poking up curl that is strong enough to knock the print over or worse, knock the plate out of alignment.

Tight, yes, but not locked down.

@kmanstudios You're exactly right. I meant to say that the manual leveling process would loosen the screws and therefore raise the build plate a bit. The point is to get rid of a lot of slack in the bed so the automatic leveling process won't scrape against the glass.

5 minutes ago, starbuck said:

@kmanstudios You're exactly right. I meant to say that the manual leveling process would loosen the screws and therefore raise the build plate a bit. The point is to get rid of a lot of slack in the bed so the automatic leveling process won't scrape against the glass.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Complete agreement on that. Thanks for clarifying.

I have to admit that since I narrowed my filaments down to a few reliables, the curling and blobs are not so prevalent though.

@neuronex, I was wondering if there were any updates. How is the leveling going now?

On 7/31/2018 at 1:53 PM, SandervG said:

@neuronex, I was wondering if there were any updates. How is the leveling going now?

Yeah it's all good now thanks.

I realized the problem was with the Print Core as I'd previously come in to find the print head packed full of ABS after a night of printing and material got stuck and ended up jamming and melting up into the print core. Something must've got damaged on the print core causing it to malfunction and gave me the issue I reported. Replaced the print core and it's all working fine now.