8 extruder limit

Posted · 8 extruder limit

In Cura 3.4.1 there is a limit of 8 extruders. 

Can we increase this current limit somewhere in the current version or make more extruders available in a future version (24 would be a nice step up).?

The 8 extruder limit is only there for the Custom FDM Printer. If you create your own printer definition (json files) you can have as many extruders as you like. The interface will probably suffer though.

• Like 1

I am wondering what size print head that would require....Let alone a 24 colour jobby

Posted (edited) · 8 extruder limit

We are working to setup a more colorful world!

I am working with the M3D Quad Fusion to use a Cura and a plugin I wrote to allow the 4 extruder trains to be controlled allowing mixtures of filament for multiple defined extruders.

The Quad Crane printer is just being released now, or you can just get the print head.  The idea is we are essentially defining virtual extruders in Cura but there is really there is only one physical extruder.

My github plugin is at  https://github.com/ketterrm/Illuminati-Mixer    - it is very basic, but seems to work to get 8 mixtures.  The post processing plugin is taking the tool and  redefining it in terms of a CMYK color mixture.  I've been able to get 8 colors out successfully and was trying to figure out if that was a limitation of Cura  - but seems not so that's good.

If you are interested in a referral discount which helps out my students, message me.  Just can't post here!

Thanks @ahoeben for the info- I'll look into that!

Edited by ketterrm
    • Like 1

Here is an example we have been working with - you'll notice the 8 extuders being different mixtures

image.thumb.png.d67b44ef81e25fcb70c1da15f22ed4a9.png

Just so I am understanding you, when you refer to 'mixtures' are you referring to mixing filament colors for alternatives like an RGB or CMYK printer does? i.e., is red and yellow capable of making orange?

kmanstudios - yes, your understanding is correct

So, based off a CMYK model, then I do not see the need for going above 8 colors unless the visual discretion is less than a high end printer would get. What would you use to separate the discreet colors into more extruders.

Just curious as something has to not only slice, but provide color information for the mixing process.

Would love to see this happen in a vid or something to see the process with starting colors, mixed colors, material options, etc.

Yes 8 colors is usually good enough.  I just was thinking that was a limit of Cura but now it doesn't appear to be a limit.  Cura seems to do a good job slicing so trying to take advantage of all that and just add the mixture information as part of a plugin.  Assigning a mixture for each virtual extruder, it makes it easy to track the color by the tool in the Gcode 

Here is a sample video from the company.  I'm not sure what they used but don't think it was Cura and they may have just altered some Gcode.  I have been working to just make Cura an easy alternative to use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ketterrm said:

Yes 8 colors is usually good enough.  I just was thinking that was a limit of Cura but now it doesn't appear to be a limit.  Cura seems to do a good job slicing so trying to take advantage of all that and just add the mixture information as part of a plugin.  Assigning a mixture for each virtual extruder, it makes it easy to track the color by the tool in the Gcode 

Here is a sample video from the company.  I'm not sure what they used but don't think it was Cura and they may have just altered some Gcode.  I have been working to just make Cura an easy alternative to use.

Gotcha....... ? And thanks for the video!

So in the future we will have just 8 colors and can print in a lot of colors ? Great I like the idea, also filament storage would be much easier.

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

So in the future we will have just 8 colors and can print in a lot of colors ? Great I like the idea, also filament storage would be much easier.

Nah, you will always gazillions of colors and such just like you  have a lot of specialty inks for traditional printing through digital style printing (2D) Also, While it is super cool, that was a lot of space used up to mix the colours up. And, wow....the size of the printhead.

I would not pass one up though ? But I do like to paint my models and such. But for get it out production runs, it would be nice. I also wonder if it will ever be available for 2.85mm filament and at what resolution it can get down to for individual colours.