Slow speed on the s5?

bidav

Posted · Slow speed on the s5?

Hi guys I'm new to ultimaker and got a new s5. It prints all very nicely but the speed is very slow. A model that took 7 hours to slice and print on lulzbot mini 2 takes 17 hours on the s5 even with 1 or 2 extruders and on the fastest diameter 0.2. Am I missing something? I did not touch any setting in cura but the default.. 

quick answer #1:  Big printers are designed to print big things.  I hate to say it but ideally you want a small printer for small things and a big printer for big things.  I know this is beyond most people's budget.  Personally I have an S5 and 3 um2go's and I use the um2go's whenever possible.  But if I need support, or I'm printing nylon, or it's something large I will use the S5.

Answer #2: If you are printing big things with the S5 you will hopefully be using the AA 0.8 nozzle with 0.4mm layer height mostly.  Compare that in cura (choose AA 0.8 profile and set layer height to 0.4).

Answer #3: You can almost always tune things and often can cut the print time in half.  I don't know the specifics but a boring cube for example could probably benefit a lot from the gradual infill settings.  Of course that's true for the lulzbot mini as well.

• Like 1

By default the print speed for say PLA is 45 mm/s, Ultimaker have Cura set at that speed to give a better print. Most other software and printers default to 60-70 mm/s, that's one the first settings you can tweak and most parts will still print out just fine and can say you hours.

Using both extruders will add extra time also due to having to move to left one core up and then other back, so if you don't need say PVA supports and happy to just use PLA supports then just use the one. 

Shell count is also something you might be able to cut back on for top and bottom layers and wall thickness, this will also save on filament.

So basically do a bit of testing to see just what settings you can get away with why still getting a print you are happy with.

thank you guys. can i order the um3 core print heads aa and bb 0.8 mm? both of the heads that came with the s5 are 0.4.

i changed the settings in cura to 0.8 and the printing time was cut in half

Print cores are the same, so you can use UM3 cores also in the S5.

But just keep in mind, that speed with the 0.8 core goes to the cost of quality. So your surface quality will not be as nice as with a smaller nozzle.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 8:51 PM, Smithy said:

Print cores are the same, so you can use UM3 cores also in the S5.

But just keep in mind, that speed with the 0.8 core goes to the cost of quality. So your surface quality will not be as nice as with a smaller nozzle.

As stated you can indeed insert AA and BB print cores in both Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5. The only difference is the (soon available) Print core CC Red, this is only compatible with the Ultimaker S5. (Reason: The CC Print core is used for abrasive materials, and the Ultimaker 3 does not have a wear resistant feeder). 

I want to make a small addition to @Smithy's comment, I would not say that surface quality necessarily will get worse, you just have less resolution in X and Y. It's like using a fat marker for writing instead of a fineliner.  

I was thinking about the speeds that people are mentioning. And, then I was thinking about all the threads I remember reading where everybody was being told to slow down their printers anyway to way below the speeds I get on the S5.

Just thinking about it.....very dangerous to do so........