ABS serious wraping

jon_dhemen

Posted · ABS serious wraping

Hi there to everyone,

I know this topic might not be a new, but I am really struggling to print ABS in our UM3. I don't really manage to get a proper bed adhesion. I followed the tips and instructions you can find online in the website (https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/22226-how-to-print-with-ultimaker-abs), trying different methods for adhesion: 3D printing spray, glue stick, tape, perfectly cleaned bed glas,etc.

I also to tried different printing settings: using the parameters that Cura has by default (80ºC of bed temperature for ABS) and I also modifying the bed temperature up to 100ºC. 

The material I am using is a standard ABS from Smart materials (https://smartmaterials3d.com/es/) and oru printer has the advanced 3D printing eclosure set. 

I know that printing ABS can be tricky and temperature drop downs are a key feature not to get wraping, but I tried different ways being particularly careful in the temperature issue inside the printer. And the result has been always the same: pieces get loosen even if the tape (for example) on the plate is still quite sticky. 

Has anyone the same problem?Any clue on how can I solve this?Could it be related to the ABS material itself (and/or its conservation)?

Thanks in advance!

I have printed last weekend some parts with ASA which should be very similar to ABS.

Had also warping with just glue stick and used then the UM adhesion sheets. Works perfekt, no more warping at all.

I used the default temperature settings for ABS on my UM3.

Do you have an enclosure for the printer? It's quite mandatory if you want to ensure good printing with ABS.

Basically, for ABS, here's what I do:

- use UHU glue stick and apply a liberal amount of it on the print bed,

- place the enclosure over the printer, to ensure that temperature remains constant throughout the printing,

- set a brim to help with adhesion.

Once I figured this out, all of my prints with ABS came out perfectly.

Thank you guys for your response!

Yes, we do have the enclosure for our printer and yes I followed the steps you point out as I know that printing ABS can be specially tricky. I also set up a wider brim and a higher temperature of the bed (100ºC) than the one that comes in Cura by the default.

And the result after around 3-4 hours of print is a quite notable wraping of the material from the bed.  

It is true that I am not using the Avery L7567 adhesion sheets (thanks Smithy) and that the filament is not the from genuine Ultimaker brand (it's from Smartfil)...so maybe it is related to the quality of the material.

I will keep trying different settings and cross my fingers. 

Thanks!

ABS glass temp is about 99C.  You want to be above that so the bed needs to be 110C to be safe.  When slightly above this temperature ABS acts like clay (PLA gets soft around 52C so you want the bed at 60C).  This way when the part warps it can be absorbed throughout the base of the part and keeps it on the bed.  Yes it will change shape but in very tiny amounts that are smaller than the errors in the printer anyway.  This absorbs the stresses and spreads them out.

There are other tricks to make the part stick better that are mentioned in posts above and also in detail in this video:

Hi gr5,

Thank you for the hints and the video.

I will keep trying different settings.

Thanks again!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update the status of this issue.

I raised up the temperature of the bed up to 110ºC and acquired some adhesion sheets from Ultimaker and the part got sticked to the bed and no warping appeared. 

I have to say that the part did REALLY got sticked to the bed, to the point where it was really difficult unstick it from it. 

Apparently you cannot have both ways...

Anyways, problem solved. 

Thank you guys for your advice!

Great to hear that it works for you.

3 hours ago, jon_dhemen said:

I have to say that the part did REALLY got sticked to the bed, to the point where it was really difficult unstick it from it. 

lol.   Progress.  Now you will have to deal with ripped adhesion sheets.  You should be able to do this without adhesion sheets.  Use ABS glue.  Or liquid PVA like in my video and you won't have to deal with getting the bubbles out of those sheets and having to reapply them all the time.

I have been printing with solely ABS for quite some time now. I used an ABS/Acetone mixture which gave great surface adhesion for ABS prints but was messy to deal with. I just recently discovered PEI Sheets which are a special plastic that gains adhesion properties when it is heated. Since I installed it onto my ultimaker 2+ glass plate I have had 0 adhesion problems using ABS and all you have to do before every print is wipe it with an alcohol pad. Best method by far and can find installation videos on youtube. Here is a link for where I bought my PEI sheet. Also, to get the best enclosed heating for an Ultimaker 2+ I suggest getting the front cover through ultimaker and use a large cardboard box to cover the top. P.S. when using an enclosed heating space for ABS I highly suggest turning your fans on to 20%

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XF3NGP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0930.jpg