Ultimaker 3 using 1.75mm filament

Arturas

Posted · Ultimaker 3 using 1.75mm filament

Hi,

I would like to share with you how i make few updated on ultimaker3 to use 1.75mm filament with no more blocking inside hot end.

Before filament keeps blocking my hot (print coore) end event feeder was working fine, event original bowden is big enough.

So i left everything original no cuts no changes on printer itself. Only I add extra 2x3mm teflon tube inside print core to reduce that original hole. I put all way down as much as possible and left short end.

One more changes i did its in cura itself. changed filament settings for each core. go to machine settings>extruder

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-21 at 08.41.42.jpeg

So if you really really want to print 1.75mm filament in an UM3 it's possible.  I don't recommend it but it's possible to get good results.  3dsolex will sell you a 1.75 version of the core.  I'll sell you this also in my store: thegr5store.com.  I have one customer who got it to work and work quite well.  He got it to work on both sides.  The right core is tricky because that one goes up and down.

Anyway contact me (even if you aren't in USA - I only sell to people in USA) for more details.  The solution is similar to above but the steel part inside the aluminum heat sink has a 2mm hole for the filament instead of 3.2mm hole.  The idea of putting bowden inside the "trumpet" as in the photo above is the same except to get it to work well we ran the inner bowden all the way from the core to the feeder.  The problem with this is that it's now harder to get the core in and out (have to remove the bowden each time).  But it works and it works well.

• 4 months later...

Hello Arturas,

i have a question about the settings in Cura.

When I put a 1.75mm filament in the Ultimaker 3 and start my printing job, the outflow at the print core is not constant. Is it enough to put a extra 2x3mm teflon tube inside the print core or should I also prepare the infill speed or something else?

Thank your for your reply and

best regards

Dominik

Hi Arturas, 

I am trying to convert my U3 to 175mm filament. I noticed that sometimes there is a no filament or very little filament being extruded. I then help push the filament into the printer and the filament starts extruding again. Are you saying that the cause of this is a blockage at the printer core and not at the gears that push the filament into the printer?

its happening to me as well. filament get blocked in feeder. I event change DDG fedder with 1.75mm gears and still same issue filament not getting extruded from core, or its getting little bit and stop again.

• Thanks 1

Hi Arturas,

Do the springs on the filament feeders tighten enough for grab the 1.75mm filament?

I tried what Arturas tried and could not get it to work.  The filament gets between the inner tube and the outer tube at the base of the inner tube and then causes a clog there.

But the 3dsolex solution works fine.  (I sell this option at thegr5store.com and 3dsolex.com sells this also).  I have a few customers that use this mod and it works fine for them.  One even got it working on the right slot by adding a spring with the same od and id as the smaller bowden.

Folks, I am getting good results by putting 1.75 into UM3 "as is" (no changes to the machine). This is what I am doing:

1. Temperature 215. (this is becuase the feeder has weaker grip on the filament. Make it easy for the feeder)

2. Layer height no more than 0.1mm on 0.4 head. On 0.8 head I allow myself to go higher (up to 0.4). With 0.25 I would not do it at all. (this is because you really want slower feeding). Decreasing print speed also works.
    3. Use better filament holder, with thin axis and a silicon lube spray will not hurt. I designed my own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4354166 . This will help the spool roll, further reducing the required feeding force.

4. In CURA, feeding rate set to 265% (which is, of course, diameter ratio squared).

5.  Do yourself a favor and watch first 2-3 layers.

6. Same feeder, same PTFE tube, same print cores. No changes to the ultimaker. It just works. 

With right settings I have no "feeder slips". However, they might be happening without me noticing, so maybe you should refrain from that from big high-quality prints. But honestly, I am getting perfect results even on fairly complex prints.

20 hours ago, pavelr said:

Folks, I am getting good results by putting 1.75 into UM3 "as is" (no changes to the machine). This is what I am doing:

1. Temperature 215. (this is becuase the feeder has weaker grip on the filament. Make it easy for the feeder)

2. Layer height no more than 0.1mm on 0.4 head. On 0.8 head I allow myself to go higher (up to 0.4). With 0.25 I would not do it at all. (this is because you really want slower feeding). Decreasing print speed also works.
    3. Use better filament holder, with thin axis and a silicon lube spray will not hurt. I designed my own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4354166 . This will help the spool roll, further reducing the required feeding force.

4. In CURA, feeding rate set to 265% (which is, of course, diameter ratio squared).

5.  Do yourself a favor and watch first 2-3 layers.

6. Same feeder, same PTFE tube, same print cores. No changes to the ultimaker. It just works. 

With right settings I have no "feeder slips". However, they might be happening without me noticing, so maybe you should refrain from that from big high-quality prints. But honestly, I am getting perfect results even on fairly complex prints.

Are you saying you didn't adjust the feeder tension?

I did not. Though I cannot 100% guarantee that the tension is the original, I have this UM3 for quite a while. Could be a good idea though.

Would not setting the filament diameter to 1.75 in the materials profiles not work, save having to edit the feed rate?

That's a better idea; I am missing the setting in Cura which was in the older versions, "material diameter", I do not know why they took it out. Personally I do not do what you suggest because having no hardware changes enables me to switch the spools frequently, so I avoid going to profile configs.

what kind and size of Teflon tube did you use, do you have a link?