New dual kit

Posted · New dual kit

Hi,

I just checked the shop about 5 minutes ago and the new dual extruder kit was there. and then it was really funny. I added it to my cart and then it was gone again. I could look at 2 photos for about 2 minutes and then the whole kit was gone from the shop.

Any idea if this is a bug or if it was just a test ?

Anyone else saw it, or was I just dreaming?

Posted · New dual kit

hay thats cool. small world !

can i ask, where were you in Leipzig ? Im just a little bit outside the city... direction Engelsdorf. (Leipzig Ost)

I guess the poor guys in ultimaker are trying desperatly to get it listed on their site today... they know a lot of people have charged paypal accounts and trigger fingers for the latest and greatest... :-)

maybe they are just getting it right after spotting a few mistakes.... i noticed they didnt even have a list in the description of the set contents and also maybe helpful, a link to a wiki page on how to build it.. would be good ! :-)

Greetings from Leutzsch in Leipzig at the moment :-)

Ian :-)

Posted · New dual kit

You guys are fast!! ;)

Indeed it was there.. by mistake, and i have removed it, hoping nobody noticed :oops:

We are preparing a blogpost as we speak, so an update will follow soon :)

Posted · New dual kit

we noticed ! ;-)

good luck with the release today... the World is standing by..... :-)

Ian :-)

Posted · New dual kit

Suedvorstadt

Walking distance to nato and seeblick

Alles was du brauchst...

Gruss, Bernd

Posted · New dual kit

@sander

No worries as the NSA has a copy already, i will check their server to look at it again...

:-)

Posted · New dual kit

Just received my pre-order email about the kit while reading this topic :)

One question so far... I have a very early UM from May 2011, and although I have hot-end upgrades I do not have this black plastic part that is shown in the disassembly photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultimaker/9500044969/

Is that needed? Is there a replacement in the new kit?

Thanks,

Troy.

Posted · New dual kit

haha ok.

If you can do that every time, it would keep our website very organized! ;)

I knew Ian would have spotted it, Ian.. Faster then its own shadow!

You browse through our website faster then Lucky Luke can draw his gun.. (Lucky luke is an internation character isn't he? If not this remark is rather silly)

Have you already read the blog? http://blog.ultimaker.com/2013/08/19/price-release-of-dual-extrusion-kit/

Posted · New dual kit

I'm just ordered my dual kit !!!

Posted · New dual kit

Hi CodeMaven, that is one part that comes with the injection molded-set that rev4 Ultimakers have.

You do not need it for Dual extrusion, however you do need to check if you are in need of the mounting aid or not.

Pictures are included in the shop to illustrate what i mean. (you can visit the shop if you made a pre-order).

For everyone else later on this week Dual Extrusion will be made available.

Posted · New dual kit

I'm just ordered my dual kit !!!

Great, i am looking forward to see what you have made with it!

Posted · New dual kit

Hi CodeMaven, that is one part that comes with the injection molded-set that rev4 Ultimakers have.

You do not need it for Dual extrusion, however you do need to check if you are in need of the mounting aid or not.

Pictures are included in the shop to illustrate what i mean. (you can visit the shop if you made a pre-order).

For everyone else later on this week Dual Extrusion will be made available.

Reporting from R&D.

If you don't have a kit which came per default with the injection molded (black) parts, then the dual-extrusion kit will fit fine. You DO have to use the old top plate then, this will fit fine, but you'll have slightly less room for the cables. (This is not in the assembly instructions)

For example, this my own printer rigged for dual extrusion: http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120514_235612.jpg (with still a V1 hotend, but a top plate for a V2 hotend without injection parts)

You DO need the V2 hotend, if you still have a V1 hotend you will need to upgrade. Else it won't fit.

Posted · New dual kit

Thanks Daid.

Also, in the store there is the option for a "Mounting aid" or "Mo Mounting Aid"... I think that should be "No mounting aid" ;)

Cheers,

Troy.

Posted · New dual kit

I was hoping for some more interesting sample pics of what dual extruders can make. The ones posted left me kind of hoping for something better. I really liked the robot in the ice one.

Posted · New dual kit

I'm super excited for this! Where would one go to actually purchase this wonderful update?

Posted · New dual kit

I ordered mine now! :)

Posted · New dual kit

Cross post from the google group, where I'm answering some questions on the kit:

I think the blog posts: http://blog.ultimaker.com/ accurately show what is possible, it shows that there are flaws when dual-extruding. All done with Cura 13.06.5. Note that the models where cleaned up a bit, just the strings removed.

Another example: http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20130621_134822.jpg (cannot use this model for promotion goals due to the cc-by-nc license)

>Things like, single head print quality before and after adding the extruder. Does the extra weight lower

>the overall print quality?

I have no indication that you have quality reduction after installing the dual extrusion upgrade. However, if you remember the initial dual extrusion installation on my home machine, you might remember reading that I removed that. One of the issues I had with it was the nozzles not being level and thus the 2nd nozzle pushed the object off the printer. Our dual-extrusion kit solves this issue. The trick lays in this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultimaker/9502705648/

See those 2 curved rings? They add a tiny amount of spring between the hotend and the bottom plate. This gives a bit of height adjustment (0.5-1mm), just enough to get them perfect level.

The weight might cause issues if you are turning up the acceleration or go beyond the default limit of 300mm/s. The default firmware settings are quite safe. One other thing is the Z height, the dual extrusion head is slightly longer and thus the maximum Z height is slightly less. It's about 5mm I think.

>How well has non-printing nozzle drip been handled? Does it require extreme retraction?

I will be honest, dripping is still there. Printing at 190C is recommended, as this removes most of the dripping. ABS drips a lot less then PLA (guess why Makerbot does it with ABS). Switching extrudes does a 16.5mm retraction. This is slightly more then the hot zone of the V2 hotend. It helps to cool down the inactive hotend and I have a experimental Cura plugin that can do this, heating up the hotend just in time before it's needed again. (It's a bit tricky to do this in the C++ engine)

To fully remove the dripping we would need a fully new hotend design. As you can imagine, we're not sitting still and did work in that area. But getting a hotend right is a difficult issue, and that's a whole story on it's own which I might tell later.

>What is the software toolchain currently in use? I seem to recall Cura isn't ready with dual yet so

>either kisslicer or slic3r?

Cura 13.06.4 works great for dual-color printing. Printing with dual-extrusion support material needs some work (PVA). However, for dual-color printing Cura has a feature that no other software package has, it can actually generate an tiny overlap between the 2 colored parts (without requiring to change your model) this generates a better bonding between the colored parts. The default is on 0.2mm overlap. Without this overlap the gray-red vase on the photo would almost fall apart, with it enabled the vase is almost water-tight. Note that the overlap is quite extensive to to calculate, so it slows down the engine quite a bit on complex models. And it happens before you see progress happening in Cura, so it seems stuck on the slicing for a while. Just a minor warning there.

So PVA printing, is not there yet. But it will be possible with the same hardware. We have printed PVA just fine with the setup, but having PVA sit hot and not extruding causes it to burn up and block your nozzle. If you are planning to experiment with PVA I recommend ordering a few extra nozzles. It will require extra software tuning to get this fully working reliably.

FYI, We've installed this upgrade on various R&D machines that where in different states, and have some of our "pre-assembled" builders take a kit with them and put those on their home machines. It's quite extensively tested and tweaked. Might not look that way, but we had quite a few prototypes that worked less or where much more complex. There where some issues with the 2nd feeder, as you can see it sits higher, and it's also longer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultimaker/9514271773/ this was needed or else a full roll of PLA would snap at the feeder and entangle itself in the first roll.

Posted · New dual kit
    Reporting from R&D.

If you don't have a kit which came per default with the injection molded (black) parts, then the dual-extrusion kit will fit fine. You DO have to use the old top plate then, this will fit fine, but you'll have slightly less room for the cables. (This is not in the assembly instructions)

For example, this my own printer rigged for dual extrusion: http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120514_235612.jpg (with still a V1 hotend, but a top plate for a V2 hotend without injection parts)

Is there any chance that there will be some assembly instructions for older ultimaker versions?

Or why not ship this plasic parts for owners of older versions. I would call thisservice (and probably would be cheaper than having instructions for 4 different versions)

I explicitely asked about when preordering and noone mentioned that earlier versions are different to be assembled.

Posted · New dual kit

xxxx

Posted · New dual kit

May i just add that shipping costs of 60 euros to Australia ( no insurance) is insane...

Posted · New dual kit

The missing black injection molded parts where a slight oversight. But we have spares of those parts, so if you mention that you are missing that bit I'll try to see if I can get it included in your order.

Thanks heaps,Daid

my order number is:

100010152 8/20/13 Bernd Gruber Preparing shipment View Order | Reorder

Shall i contact sales as well?