Simplify3D v4.1

Posted · Simplify3D v4.1
8 hours ago, StephanK said:

I installed it..  And honestly, I shouldn't have bothered. What a disappointment.

frankly after more than a year without updates I expected more news. Have the bugs been fixed at least?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Simplify3D v4.1

Hmm.. bugs have been fixed according to the changelog ( https://www.simplify3d.com/software/release-notes/ ), unfortunately not the ones I was having problems with. Since the change log only lists some of these bugfixes, who knows. Supposedly 100+ more fixes went in, which ones is anyone's guess. The 3-4 bugs / reproducible issues i've had are still in.

The disappointment stems from the fact that the "main features" of this update, as announced here: https://www.simplify3d.com/software/release-notes/version-4-1-0/ are imho a bit of a let down. Support for 6 extruders, better rafts. Ok, but not sure if that's what the majority of the user base has been waiting for.  More accurate print time estimates as the 2nd featured item? Besides the fact, that it'll still be off...I just can't get excited about.

Problems: well, besides the new dynamic prime towers either not rendering properly or not working at all, and not having the first clue where to specify the dimensions of the extruder to actually use the new "collision detection in sequential printing" they added, no, no new problems so far. But then again, they didnt add much to begin with.. Who said 2 out of 3 aint bad? ? 

In short: too little too late.

Looks to me they're unwilling or unable to maintain meaningful development. Cura and Slic3r already surpassed S3D in features, I am finding less and less reasons to tell my folks: it is still worth spending $150 on simplify3d.

Heck, after using S3D exclusively since 2016, I am now catching myself using Cura 3.4.1 <g> more and more. Because, you know, it has some really useful features that S3D doesn't have and probably never will.

Edited by StephanK
  • Like 3

Posted · Simplify3D v4.1

S3D has that easy to remove support though, and customizable support, of course.  If Cura had those, I would use it exclusively.  One other thing, I like that S3D reopens with the last model and settings I worked on.  It would be nice if Cura did that too, or had the option to do that.

• Like 2

Posted · Simplify3D v4.1

As a Long time user of S3d,thanks..  I see the bugs and sometimes the print is not that good and yes Cura has come on in leaps and bounds where S3D seem to take an age for updates and you see very little for the long wait,,  Cura seems to have matured with the on set of dual heads,  but I find using cura awkward and confusing,, and something that S3D can do very easily cura makes it hard (if it can do it at all) I payed my Money for S3D 4 years ago?? and feel as though I have had my pound of flesh from them,  But cura is heading up faster and I doubt if S3D will ever catch up... but please make cura Easier to use...

Posted · Simplify3D v4.1

It depends with which software you began to slice. For me Cura is intuitive and find S3D terrible complicated. For example a correction of the elephant foot is a single setting in Cura and a process in S3D. So the app you are used to use, is the easier one ? 

I thought that I could do cool things with S3D, but I realized fast, that with current dual printers like UM3 or S5 the support and functionality are very limited to the basics and it is more comfortable with Cura.

On the other side, slicing speed is incredibly fast with S3D.

Posted · Simplify3D v4.1

Totally agree!!  use the one that you find easier,, UNTIL you find you cant do that with your slicer, as I found out,, using S3d and Elixier filament,  prints came out better in cura and S3D handling of Temps in dual head prints was not good, cura was a head of the game,, but I have 3 printers and all of them use Cura ? S3d when I can get the scripts wright... but if something fast I want out I use S3D because of my 4 years of use... will try Slicre next..

Posted · Simplify3D v4.1

I get along with both and print with both.
    S3D has for me even better optimized travels, also the whole behavior is unfortunately even better in S3D.
    When I see all the red lines in Cura I get a headache.
    It seems to me that all new features in Cura are unfortunately just appended below, instead of implementing them correctly

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Simplify3D v4.1

I use both.  CURA has terrible supports, S3D allows infinite customization of supports, angles, connections, specific locations, sizes and densities as well as finish layers.  CURA just has, well supports.  The support Keep out functionality is clumsy and often does not work, the customized add of supports doesn't work very well either.  HOWEVER, the Experimental "tree support" in CURA can work wonders where S3D creates a support mess that cannot be removed, "tree support" can often make a print where the supports just snap off.

Dual color support is stupid simple in S3D, and except for the fact that there is no built-in way to drop temps on the inactive head (you can create a script for a head swap, but they do not offer examples that I have found), I like it a lot more than CURA dual head setups which are harder to configure.  They work, but S3D is a 5 second setup, CURA demands chin-knuckling time.

S3D additions seem invisible to me.  The latest (4.1.1) messed up the dual color settings and takes much longer to make the ooze shield and uses 2X the filament.  It still works well, but the print times are greatly increased.

Octoprint integration in CURA (with plug-in) complete and useful.  S3D requires a custom post-processing script to use Octoprint and gives no feedback or ability to see camera output like CURA does.  It works, but is not integrated at all.

I find that I use CURA more often than S3D these days.  But I occasionally use S3D to solve stubborn issues that CURA just won't print well.

DLC

Edited by RoboDLC