Changing nozzles 5S printcore

IwanBeentjes

Posted (edited) · Changing nozzles 5S printcore

A quick and maybe a "stupid" question.. But is it possible to change the nozzles on a S5 printcore ?

We had a clogged nozzle some weeks ago and struggled to unclog it properly, so we wanted to unscrew the nozzle on the printcore but this was really hard and I was scared of breaking it so we stopped 🙂 

P.S. nozzle is unclogged now after 20+ cold/hot pulls

Edited by IwanBeentjes

Posted · Changing nozzles 5S printcore
    51 minutes ago, IwanBeentjes said:

but this was really hard and I was scared of breaking it so we stopped 🙂

Good decision! The print core is not made to unscrew the nozzle and UM uses very high torque for the nozzle. So chances are high that you damage the print core or if you are successful that you get an oozing core after mounting the nozzle again.

So it is not recommended.

have you tried this?

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23132-clean-the-print-cores

I have yet to see the first case where disassembly is necessary. 

18 hours ago, tomnagel said:

have you tried this?

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23132-clean-the-print-cores

I have yet to see the first case where disassembly is necessary. 

That's exactly what we did for 20+ times before all of the inside was clean (we used 70% brass filled filament for the first time in an 0.4 AA core) I can say out of experience that you need at least an 0.6 or even an 0.8 core for that material haha.

For brass fill, you probably shouldn't use the standard print cores anyway, as the nozzle will be abraded very quickly.

1 hour ago, P3D said:

For brass fill, you probably shouldn't use the standard print cores anyway, as the nozzle will be abraded very quickly.

this is part of the reason i asked the question in the first place as well, because if it where easy and risk free to remove the nozzle from the print core I could replace the original nozzle with an more abrasive resistant nozzle. unfortunately this is not the case and the CC 0.6 core seems to be the best solution for printing with abrasive materials.

I see. The 3DSolex HardCores would be another option, where you can do exactly that - change out the nozzles. They have a lot of options, including abrasive resistant ruby nozzles in various sizes. You'd have to make your own print profiles, of course, but judging from the thread about the XSTRAND GF30-PA6 profile you may have to do that in any case.

maybe a good alternative indeed thank you!

I already make my own print profiles even for the more "simple" materials so that's no problem

Hello, I have a similar problem. I have the S5 model and the #2 nozzle, used for support only, is clogged. I have tried several times to clean it to no avail. Please advise.

Like the very first post says:  "P.S. nozzle is unclogged now after 20+ cold/hot pulls"

Hot and cold pulls really helps.  If absolutely not a single atom comes out of the nozzle then start with the cold pulls.  This option is somewhere in the maintenance menu on the S5.

Or you can just buy them.  They are considered "consumables" like filament.  once you start to think of them that way, buying a new one seems like a good option.

I have often used a an acupuncture needle to clear really cloggged nozzles, usually caused running woodfill filament.   Heat nozzle up then push up through from nozzle whine in the printer..   Only a few dollars a packet on AliExpress.

and yes I have also removed and replaced worn 0.4 nozzles with a 0.8 nozzle off AliExpress - not that hard to do, just make sure you have the proper scanner and hold the heat block, not the thin collar.

was a easy way to get a .8 nozzle without buying one, and I already had a worn out printcore with 3000h on it. To use anyway.

• Heart 1