Writing a custom Cura package

ZachRose

Posted · Writing a custom Cura package

I am trying to write a plugin similar to the Dremel plugin in the Cura marketplace. I it want to install the printer definition, quality profiles, etc. via a plugin. Looking at the Dremel plugin, when downloaded it is stored in the cache as a .curapackage and then installed the next time Cura is run. What is the best way for me to get Cura to do a similar thing for my plugin?

I have tried various ways of imitating the way Cura installs the Dremel plugin when downloaded to the marketplace but to no avail.

Eventually I want to submit it to the marketplace but I want to test the installation to debug my code before I do. I'm sorry if this is an amateur question, I'm very new to writing plugins for Cura.

Posted (edited) · Writing a custom Cura package

The most reliable way of creating a curapackage is to create an account at https://contribute.ultimaker.com

That is the portal to submit a plugin to the Marketplace, and its backend actually creates the curapackage from your sources (which you upload as a zip) and some metadata you fill in to a form. Before you "submit" the package for inclusion in the Marketplace, you can download and test your curapackage.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Writing a custom Cura package

Thank you @ahoeben! Sorry if I continue to ask really basic questions, but now that I have the .curapackage file, how do I make Cura install it? When I download them from the marketplace, Cura automatically fills out the packages.json with relevant metadata and then installs in on next launch. Should I just fill that information in manually or is there a better way to test it?

Also @Smithy if you go to the bottom and use the sign in with Ultimaker Forum button everything should work fine!

Edited by ZachRose

Just drop the curapackage into the Cura window. I think you can also use File -> Open, but never tried that.

32 minutes ago, ZachRose said:

Also @Smithy if you go to the bottom and use the sign in with Ultimaker Forum button everything should work fine!

Thanks for the hint, will give it a try.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:44 PM, ahoeben said:

The most reliable way of creating a curapackage is to create an account at https://contribute.ultimaker.com

That is the portal to submit a plugin to the Marketplace, and its backend actually creates the curapackage from your sources (which you upload as a zip) and some metadata you fill in to a form. Before you "submit" the package for inclusion in the Marketplace, you can download and test your curapackage.

I created an account for https://contribute.ultimaker.com

and I started with "New Plugin" button.

I saw this: Sdk versions (7.2.0 | 4.6.0+)
    where can i get this sdk package?

Thanks.
    Best regards.

10 hours ago, ersinkecis said:

I created an account for https://contribute.ultimaker.com

and I started with "New Plugin" button.

I saw this: Sdk versions (7.2.0 | 4.6.0+)

Thanks.
    Best regards.

The SDK versions determine which versions of Cura your package will be compatible with. It goes like this: (SDK|Cura version)

5.0.0 | 3.5.0+

6.0.0 | 4.0.0+ 6.1.0 | 4.1.0+ 6.2.0 | 4.2.0+ 6.3.0 | 4.3.0+ 7.0.0 | 4.4.0+ 7.1.0 | 4.5.0+ 7.2.0 | 4.6.0+

EDIT: just found a bug in our forum I think 😄

12 hours ago, ersinkecis said:

It is not an SDK in the traditional sense of there being a downloadable package. The SDK is already part of Cura. I would have called it an API.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, ahoeben said:

It is not an SDK in the traditional sense of there being a downloadable package. The SDK is already part of Cura. I would have called it an API.

ok. I understand. thx.