Print Exceeds Build Volume in Cura 4.0

thevoltmaster

Posted · Print Exceeds Build Volume in Cura 4.0

After upgrading my Ultimaker 3 to the latest firmware, and installing cura 4.0, any jobs i submit to the printer over the network fail with the error "exceeds build volume" despite the object being small and centered on the bed. i even deleted everything in my configuration folder hoping to reset cura to a working state and after re selecting my network printer still had the same issue. what could i be missing? 

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.20.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 8.20.38 PM.png

Posted (edited) · Print Exceeds Build Volume in Cura 4.0

further troubleshooting seems to indicate that anytime i have a soluble raft i get the 'exceeds build volume' error. This is pretty frustrating as i print almost exclusively with soluble rafts now.....

Edited by thevoltmaster

Could you save the gcode locally and share the header of the g-code? (open the g-code in a text editor and the copy the lines between the start and end header label)

Edited by nallath

sure

;START_OF_HEADER
    ;HEADER_VERSION:0.1
    ;FLAVOR:Griffin
    ;GENERATOR.NAME:Cura_SteamEngine
    ;GENERATOR.VERSION:4.0.0
    ;GENERATOR.BUILD_DATE:2019-03-19
    ;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker 3
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:100
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:32229
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:44a029e6-e31b-4c9e-a12f-9282e29a92ff
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.NAME:AA 0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:225
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:3923
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.MATERIAL.GUID:fe15ed8a-33c3-4f57-a2a7-b4b78a38c3cb
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.NOZZLE.NAME:BB 0.4
    ;BUILD_PLATE.TYPE:glass
    ;BUILD_PLATE.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:60
    ;PRINT.TIME:16441
    ;PRINT.GROUPS:1
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.X:50.385
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Y:48.276
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Z:0.3
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.X:213
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Y:217
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Z:35.57
    ;END_OF_HEADER
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.0.0
    T1
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode

I had a very similar problem on a reprap delta printer.  CURA 4.0 on a Windows 10 home computer.

I tried to print this Thingiverse thing (The gnoll figure):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3362465/files

with supports.  I had no experimental options enabled and had no unusual gcode in the startup preamble (used default CURA).

I submitted it through Octoprint to my printer.

The preamble executed and the end effector dropped to a 15mm height, then it "wandered" off the build plate and continued to attempt to move far off of the build plate, causing the typical belt-grinding until I hit the kill switch on the printer.

Thanks,

DLC

But did it generate g-code outside of the buildplate? The issue reported is about UM3 and the bounding box it generates, so i'm pretty sure it's a completely different issue.

I too am now getting this error.

Was fine but today its refusing to print anything w or without support.

everything is well within the bed edges.

it does attempt to print via usb but only if you keep clicking ignore till the warning goes away

yeah i just went back to 3.6......

Weirdly it only just stopped working. but now the issue is latched and will not work any more.

just reverted to 3.6.

issue solved🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, nallath said:

But did it generate g-code outside of the buildplate? The issue reported is about UM3 and the bounding box it generates, so i'm pretty sure it's a completely different issue.

I have not read through the g-code to be certain, but the g-code clearly told the print head to go past the build volume.  The same model with S3D worked correctly and the same model and settings worked fine with CURA 3.6.  CURA did not warn me that the the head went out of the build volume though.  What is really strange though is that my vanilla Marlin firmware would normally refuse to print outside of the firmware established print volume.  So, some code was sent that bypasses that safeguard in the firmware.

That may provide a hint.

I too went back to 3.6.  The potential for damage to the printer is too high to experiment with this much.

My error may or may not be related to the OP error.  I think that I will move this to a new thread and not taint this one.

Thanks,

DLC

Edited by RoboDLC

Suddenly thought is it ‘max comb without retract’ that could account for the out of range issue, tried it again reducing the comb from 15 to 0 and still the same error.

3.6 works no problem

Still getting this error.

I keep pressing ignore till i can print and it seems ok. but not an ideal fix.

Has anyone fixed this issue?

same problem here

Hello having same issue when attempting to print something print which is similar to many i have printed before i get the print exceeds build volume error.   only setting i changed from previous prints was to turn off the "enable Prime blob" setting.  saved print to USB and ignored error and now it is printing.   will not know for a while it it works.

Hello I just tried re-slicing a older print job which was successful with the prime Blob turned off for both extruders and it generates the "print exceeds the Build volume" error.  turned on "enable Prime Blob" and the same print is accepted with no errors reported.  Appears to have something to do with the turning off the Prime Blob.

Same here.  With Prime Blob off I get the build volume error.  When I turn Prime Blob On it works as expected.

Just an idea, I haven't tried it, but could it be the skirt? I mean when you turn off the prime blob, that the skirt will be automatically enabled?

In my case, I had Brim On and Blob Off when it failed.  Brim On and Blob On works.

Same for me: turning on prime blob did solve the issue (with brim).