Ultimaker 3 cannot connect to WiFi

SteveU

Posted · Ultimaker 3 cannot connect to WiFi

Hey guys!

I am quite new to the Ultimaker and the community. A few years ago I had a different (selfbuilt) 3D printer, but things got very frustrating, so I paused until I bought myself an Ultimaker 3, two days ago. Yesterday I did the whole setup and everything went well and worked perfectly fine. In the evening I did a Firmware Update and shut the printer down afterwards.

After shutting everything down for the night, I tried to print today and noticed, that the printer was not showing in Cura anymore. So I checked the network settings on the printer and noticed that the printer was not connected to WiFi anymore. Alright, so I did the whole procedure of connectign the printer again, but it always failed. After I enter the WiFi Password (on several devices by now), the printer states that it tries to connect to the network. This message is shown for a fair amount of time, until I get the message, that the connection failed. I also tried to restart my WLAN router and the printer. In the end I also reset the printer to factory settings as it was suggested in several threads, but nothing helped yet. I did not change anything else about my local network, so this leaves me pretty help- and clueless on what to do next 😞

Does anybody maybe know this issue and can help me?

Best wishes
Steve

Had a similar Issue.

After the last Firmware Upgrade i can't connect the Printer (UM3) to WiFi. The Printer try to setup the Access Point for WiFi config, but no WiFi visible. I try a Factory Reset, does not help.

Before the Firmware Update the Connection was fine.

Thanks for help,
    Tom

• Like 1

i too hv similar issue, but i can manually add it with IP address with the latest firmware. Also the um3 app on iphone and ipad never find be able to get the video feed.............

11 hours ago, ultradryan said:

i too hv similar issue, but i can manually add it with IP address with the latest firmware.

what do you mean with add manually? Add the Printer IP to an existing WiFi?

My Problem is the invisible (not existing?) Printer AP in the WiFi Setup...

So I tried to connect the printer over Ethernet now and it work great ... until ... I switched the printer off and on again. Now this connection also fails on me, beacuse the printer ist not showing in the printers to add anymore.
    So this leaves me with the hassle of printing via USB Stick ...

Is there maybe help out there?

Has anyone figured out a solution to this WiFi issue? I just purchased an Ultimaker 3 and day one am running into the same problem. I did the upgrade and it disconnects every other second from the network. The support folks at Ultimaker claim I need to replace the WiFi card manually to solve this, but they didn't indicate whether it's an issue with specific units or that all units are incompatible with the upgrade. Thoughts?

I just setup a UM3 Extended. Upgraded the firmware via USB. And I am unable to complete wifi setup. It creates an access point I cannot connect to. I've tried using an iPhone, 2 Android phones, and a Macbook Pro and they all fail to connect to the access point my Ultimaker created. Is there a fix yet?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 cannot connect to WiFi

I enabled developer mode and ssh'd to the Ultimaker 3 Extended. I saw the following in dmesg; is the serial suspect? I am not expecting a serial of 12345.

[    6.259099] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0cf3, idProduct=9271
    [    6.265879] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=16, Product=32, SerialNumber=48
    [    6.273446] usb 1-1: Product: WLAN
    [    6.276982] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: MVQ1611
    [    6.281162] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 12345

*See attached for full dmesg

dmesg.log

Edited by tdk337
    Attaching full dmesg

Hi, 

I've just got the printer set up and the first thing I did after seting it up in Wifi network, was to update firmware. 

After that, I'm also not able to find the printer anymore. 

It's not posible to set a up a new network by enabling a local Wifi from the menu on the printer. 

Please, have enyone found a solusion to the problem? 

I gave up and came up with a work around using a wireless bridge. If direct connecting to your switch is not an option see how I did it here:

Thanks for sharing you solution 🙂

I'm installing the printer at work, and there is no ethernet outlet at the area where the printer is. 

I'll  check out you solution when I get a hold of a wireless bridge. 

Have exactly the same issue. Connected to wifi, upgraded firmware twice to get to 5.X, and wifi connection was no longer working. Trying to connect again, and the wifi hotspot it makes is not visible to anything. 

Really frustrating that I had wifi for all of an hour, and not only is it not working due to a simple firmware install, but finding out that this has been a known problem for almost a year now with no fix or visible feedback. 

15 hours ago, Tbj5 said:

Really frustrating that I had wifi for all of an hour, and not only is it not working due to a simple firmware install, but finding out that this has been a known problem for almost a year now with no fix or visible feedback. 

Yes I agree that the lack of visible feedback and zero fix in-store is probably the most frustrating thing about this experience. Especially when my company purchase quite a few of these printers. I honestly cannot recommend buying from Ultimaker in the future. There are plenty of printers that will cost a fraction of the price we paid for our $4500 printer that would at least acknowledge they received my message and are looking into a fix.

July of 2020. We got an Ultimaker S5 last year and the WiFi connection never worked for longer than a few days. I am with the other people posting in this thread. For a 4.5k price, we could have bought a much better printer that justifies the price.

Ok i was trying to set this up, even changed my router which i thought was the problem. UM3 creates the AP, i connect and select the network to use, and then the printer tries to connect to that forever until finally failing.
    I guess i should just give up and use the wire

This is an old problem but I think I've cracked it... My WiFi was working flawlessly with 5.3.0, but in preparing my unit for sale, I did a factory reset. In setting up I suffered from the WiFi issues mentioned in this thread. It was not clear as an incorrect password would de rejected, but with a correct password things went askew. I attached a LAN cable and did some digging, but found nothing. 

Then I thought back how I set up the printer and considered the 2+ connected printer behaviour... I  set up the digital factory via the LAN and after that, setting up the WiFi worked!