Overheating and small part issues

Posted · Overheating and small part issues

Hello,  

I have been using an S5 to try and print this band saw part in ultimaker PLA without any success https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3471256

The main body prints perfect, however when it gets to the cylinder notches on the top they appear to be overheating and just melting the layers.  I have tried increasing the minimum layer time, slowing down the entire print, lowering the temp, printing multiple parts at once, a smaller nozzle, a prime tower, pausing after each layer of the cylinder, no infill- 100% infill, and I still cannot get a clean solid print. I even tried to print the cylinder separate in an attempt to glue it back in. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am starting to think this just isn't possible on my machine. 

IMG_8952.thumb.jpg.60b9ee80ebb5eb36df03f6bcde42aac0.jpgIMG_8951.thumb.jpg.84c67648517317c139423e9fceabf7a6.jpgbandsaw.stl

This is a common problem and super easy to fix.  You need to either print 3 of these or if you only need 1 then put two towers - one layer taller than this part on either side.  I have a cube.stl file I keep handy.  You can click it and scale it to any cuboid shape in cura.  So I scale it to be a little taller than my part and make two of them.  Usually I do about 15mm on the base of the tower.

Having the printer go over to the other 2 parts gives this part time to cool down.  Make sure your fans are working well also.  I like to position the towers such that when it's printing one of them, the fan is blowing on the object to be cooled as much as possible.

Thank you for the reply.  I tried to print again with the cube towers and it is better, but still not clean or accurate enough to function.  Should I make the towers wider? Or do you think something else might be a good adjustment?

My settings were:

.2 layer height

infill 30%

temp 195

speed 60

minimum layer time 10

everything else was standard

IMG_9081.thumb.jpg.3feec0aae339e1398d617ab42d10d66b.jpg 

IMG_9089.jpg

IMG_9091.jpg

IMG_9085.jpg

yep, try again with a bit bigger towers, and as @gr5 mentioned 

"position the towers such that when it's printing one of them, the fan is blowing on the object to be cooled as much as possible"

So don't place them at the back, but next to the small dot's on your main object, so while printing the tower some airflow goes onto the main print.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:22 AM, gr5 said:

I like to position the towers such that when it's printing one of them, the fan is blowing on the object to be cooled as much as possible.

This is a good idea. Even though I printed so many "dummy cooling towers" next to my models, this has never occured to me. I am going to borrow this idea.  :-)

It worked.  I might have gotten a bit carried away with the dummy towers, but it worked.  Finally an acceptable print! Thank you all for the help!

IMG_9103.thumb.jpg.b90acaff9c78339b7b962c9552b198dc.jpgIMG_9104.thumb.jpg.708b056b571324ceb046839452dcea0b.jpgIMG_9105.thumb.jpg.2b787c61d3e586a4426a2bca52885d83.jpg