TSpermon

How to print 200 mm high

Posted · How to print 200 mm high

Hi all,

I am trying to print something that is 200 mm high. Cura doesn't allow it not even with the special max volume profile from Ultimaker itself (the project file with the big cilinder was unprintable as well).

Could somebody help with this?

Cura firmware: 4.0.0

UM3 firmware: 5.2.8.20190320

UM3 problem.PNG

Are you sure your problem is the height? 

You can easily check that, by scaling just the Z direction.

If it is the X/Y direction, you should turn off bed adhesion (skirt/brim) to save some space on the bed. There are also some other options, like prime tower and so on, which consumes the available print area.

Hi,

Yes it is just the height, should have mentioned that I tried before with scaling and different objects that have a small foot print but are 200 mm high. With scaling I can get up to 198 mm above that it greys out.

The UM3E does 180x180x300mm in height, no problem. As @Smithy said: check bed adhesion and surrounding stuff. 301mm is not possible, btw.

image.thumb.png.4c4eb31324fe579422ef42db2768f5fc.png

Make sure raft is off.

Go into "prepare" mode at top center of screen.

Click on your machine type - towards upper left corner for you, where it says "Ultimaker manual".

Click "manage printers", then on the next popup click "machine settings" button (I think this only works for the currently selected machine by the way).

Look at Z height in the left column.  Increase that as necessary.

Note that it would really suck to do a 5 day print only to discover when it does the last 1mm it hits the bottom z limit switch!  So maybe do some tests like:

G0 Z190

G0 Z195

G0 Z200

G0 Z201

And make sure the printer actually moves to all those positions without hitting the limit switch.

• Like 1

The best way to see exactly how high you can print is by connecting a USB cable to your printer and using pronterface.  then you can home the Z axis, go to Z=0 and make sure it's touching the glass then go to Z200, etc.

Get pronterface here. It's free:
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/