I wonder if ultimaker 2 can print the stretchy Bracelet?

freeman

Posted · I wonder if ultimaker 2 can print the stretchy Bracelet?

That is a basic model that any decent 3d printer is able to handle, including Ultimaker2

You can watch the original Ultimaker printing them 16 at a time here ;)

Hi, Robert, thank you for reply~

But I can not access Youtube, do you have any pictures for that?

Recently, I am trying to print this bracelet with a ultimaker original machine, but it seems it doesn't work well~~

Is it because the cura setting parameter is not right? Can you pls tell me the recommended parameter settings for cura?

i actually quite liked how they used the ultimaker during the maker faire to print the stretchy bracelet and to auto push off the bed. Because the bracelet has springiness in it, it actually gets sprung off the bed, giving much fun to the kids trying to catch it.

I am now imagining using this um vending wall, starting the print say 1 minute apart. So every one minute, you'll have a bracelet springing out of the wall of machines. It would be great fun to watch!

Best way to slice it in Cura is to grab the http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13505/#files

Slice it with 0.6mm shell thickness, 0.0mm top/bottom thickness and 0% infill. This gives a nice single outline wall which is printed fast, and strong.

Thks very much, Daid :-P

I will try to print it again with your recommendations~

Is the code for auto-pushing it of the bed available somewhere?

I've mailed it to people on request, not sure if it's available somewhere...

Thank you, Daid~

I have successfully printed the bracelet with UM original according to your suggestions :-P

Hi Daid

I have an UM II and tried to print a stretchable bracelet with bad result it didnt stick on the platform

Now I will try to print the stretchlet nr 1 I have seen the video in which it jumped from the bed.

Can you please send me the code for pushing as well?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Kind regards Ron

Well it's designed to be printed on blue tape and you need to clean the blue tape first with isopropyl alcohol. The blue tape comes with the UM2 but you will have to re-level

Having said that you could experiment with other surfaces. Here are some notes. You don't want it *too* sticky:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3404-printing-on-glass/

I would love a copy of the official "looping forever - push off with fan duct" version as I will be showing off a UM original and a UM 2 at a science expo in a few months and want to print bracelets continuously during the expo.

The blue tape comes with the UM2

Nope. Not in my case, at least. Speaking of which - what type of the tape should I look for in the nearest Home Center?

It's in the painting section. Painters use it especially on corners and edges to keep paint off of something.

The blue tape is what most people use. Green (frog tape) works okay also I have heard. I also hear white masking tape works but that has a different kind of glue that might be more difficult to clean off the glass.

Get as wide as you can. I use 75mm wide. Illuminarti found some 150mm wide!

Wide is good for 2 reasons:

1) If lifting on a tiny surface, you want as wide as possible tape as possible to hold down. Skinny tape lifts too easily.

2) It takes less time to apply the tape carefully (getting the edge of one tape perfect with the edge of the next tape).

MOST IMPORTANT, clean the blue tape with isopropyl alcohol before printing on it. This removes waxy surface. This alcohol can be found wherever bandages are sold:

isopropyl alcohol (bottom shelf)

I tried printing it in nylon with Daid's settings, had to change the thickness to 0,4, or the triangle corners would fuse together but otherwise it worked fine.