New Ultimaker S5 Owner

Belezeebub

Posted · New Ultimaker S5 Owner

Just got my S5 I got a lightly used one for a Good price, after spending 3 hours updating firmware and cleaning out one heck of a nozzle clog it is printing and I am happy.

A few questions are there supposed to be Clips on the Hotend side of the nozzle? mine are missing not a big deal I can print more (just downloaded and sliced every single clip I could find on Thingaverse .

Where can I get A Maintenance kit for an S5? I know it seems odd but I think pliers were used to pull the #1 Tube out as there are marks near the Hotend and the missing Clips, so I want to start out on the right foot.

Hello,

I also bought an Ultimaker S5 original. It is recommended to read the manual in any case. There is a lot worth knowing about the 3D printer in it. https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52623-manuals

Press down on the tube coupling collet in the print head and at the same time, pull the Bowden tube upwards, out of the print head. Repeat these steps for the feeder.

There are also sellers for the "clamp clips" of this printer.

In my maintenance set was the glass plate, the nozzles, grease, oil, glue and a screwdriver for all the screws. Additionally you can use a spatula and a pair of pliers (for the nozzle cleaning).

As far as I know there is no maintenance kit available for the S5 only the UM3. But this doesn't matter, you only need the Bowden Tubes, which you can order at any reseller in your area.

In the USA, you can get a bowden (and it probably comes with clips) from fbrc8.com (who assembled your Ultimaker) or you can get S5 bowden's from me at thegr5store.com.

When not printing (in other words when there is not a lot of pressure on the filament from the feeder) if the bowden jiggles up and down even .5mm then you need the clip (or you need to add this distance to the retraction distance in cura).  If it stays in place then you don't need the clip.  There are tricks for inserting the bowden in such a way that you don't need the clip but they cost something like 10 per penny plus you can print one as you said.

Posted (edited) · New Ultimaker S5 Owner
    1 hour ago, gr5 said:

In the USA, you can get a bowden (and it probably comes with clips) from fbrc8.com (who assembled your Ultimaker) or you can get S5 bowden's from me at thegr5store.com.

When not printing (in other words when there is not a lot of pressure on the filament from the feeder) if the bowden jiggles up and down even .5mm then you need the clip (or you need to add this distance to the retraction distance in cura).  If it stays in place then you don't need the clip.  There are tricks for inserting the bowden in such a way that you don't need the clip but they cost something like 10 per penny plus you can print one as you said.

I see you have the 3D Solex super-slip bowden under the S5 parts but then the listing says its "Compatible with UMO, UM2, UM2+, UM3" but it does not say the S5?

Edited by Carla_Birch

Oops.  I'll fix that now...

Yeah I don't have a super slip for the S5.  It would be the same material (teflon) but different length.  Last I checked, 3dsolex didn't have a super slip for the S5.  Next time I put in an order with 3dsolex (in about a month) I'll check to see if they offer it now but I suspect not.

Fixed.

If you choose S5/UM3 spare parts the super slip is shown even though it only fits the UM3 but if you select "ULTIMAKER S5 PRODUCTS" it no longer shows the super slip version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

Yeah I don't have a super slip for the S5.  It would be the same material (teflon) but different length.  Last I checked, 3dsolex didn't have a super slip for the S5.  Next time I put in an order with 3dsolex (in about a month) I'll check to see if they offer it now but I suspect not.

They still don't on their own site, whats a shame as i would buy them if they did, not sure why they don't its only a longer length as you say.

The guy who runs 3dsolex, @swordriff, is just very busy.  I told him the length for the S5 bowden but creating a new product can easily take a few hours (new labels, new numbers, get photographs, descriptions, create some inventory, etc) and he is a very busy person and stressed out.  But maybe this topic will get him to create a super slip S5 Bowden.

• Like 1

I have cash, credit card, Paypal heck even gold or silver, Pm me when you have them for a S5