The perfect spot

simmonsstummer

Posted · The perfect spot

I would put it near a wall (window okay) on a table which doesn't have to be much deeper than the UM2 - about 2 feet deep is enough. You want lots of room to the side of the UM2 and you want easy access to both the front and back. So putting it near the corner of a table where you can go around the table side and access the back would be good. But this isn't mandatory - you can rotate the UM2 instead. So I would put it on a surface that is okay to scratch.

If you will be printing PLA it can be in any room except maybe the bedroom. It is quieter than a dishwasher, or maybe similar.

But if you are printing ABS it will smell bad. Put it in a room with a window and away from kitchen and bedroom if possible.

Near a computer is good as you will be transferring files back and forth with the flash memory card.

Don't put it in a dusty environment like an unfinished garage or basement. The dust will stick to the PLA and cause clogs which will drive you to pull out all your hair. Keep it away from wood working equipment that creates wood dust.

Mine is in a "play" room off the kitchen.

Near a computer is good as you will be transferring files back and forth with the flash memory card.

Really :eek: !!!!!

My ancient UP printer can transfer files down the USB into the printers built in flash card.

My shiny new UM2 can't???

I allready got a prepare in wall/wardrobe with exaust to the exterior and wall mounted PC not so easy to acces the back but so so Safe for My daughters and fumes free at home, in off space to fit two printers, spools, tools set etc wall mount web cam and a raspi with octoprint....:)

My little Maker space!!!

Maybe put it on a lazy susan NachoKaoS? That way you can easily spin it around when you need access to the back for changing filament and such.

great idea!! i try to find a tv one or some

My ancient UP printer can transfer files down the USB into the printers built in flash card.

My shiny new UM2 can't???

Nope. Sometimes the USB can't even keep up with a live print. So you might have to wait longer to upload than to print if you transferred through the USB to the SD card. This is a problem of the Arduino 2560 card that is in the UM and many many other printers. Don't know what's in the "UP" though. But I do know that reprap community (and I think UM also) is working on a new, much faster, computer which will open up all kinds of capabilities like printing through wifi and touch screen.

Hello,

For making the Arduino electronics in between other , I noticed , too difficult for operations to the USB standard .

It is important to note that the USB port is common to SERIAL ports of the Arduino board .

It goes without saying that to add the source code for the Arduino board , at the "SETUP ()" as a declarative " Serial.begin (9600 )," should open the port level map .

The drivers level, against , Linux , it is not recognized and it is mainly due to a rights issue . It is necessary to work around this problem assign rights to drivers , if it is installed correctly.

I do not doubt that you are aware of these problems , I just can should indicate what I have gleaned here and there in the web and in my experiences.

It is against much easier and reliable to connect with Ethernet and / or shield with wifi ... But USB is avoided in such a way that !

Solution "hardware" would create a bridge with an additional card thus would come to the serial port and go to the USB port in order to overcome the only Arduino . You will need a true drivers developed with your hands.

I hope I'm not too polue the subject, I do not want more than that breaks the image of easy tools. Rather, it is to demonstrate the technical and any chain that data meets to exit the PC to the card and the why of how problems .

Cordially.

Alex .

Well I have small solid wallnut Victorian whiskey table from 1879 and that will be polished, cleaned and used to house my ultimaker 2... :-) :-) :-)

Ian

also in regard of the SD card vd usb connection.

Printing via a SD card is much more stable. With an USB connection users often experience difficulties like occupied USB ports, ports going into sleep mode, computer going into sleep more, crashing/lagging due other programs. SD card is plain simple. copy paste your files on an SD card from your comfortable couch, and stick this card fully loaded with awesome prints in your Ultimaker and you are good to go for days!

Well I have small solid wallnut Victorian whiskey table from 1879 and that will be polished, cleaned and used to house my ultimaker 2.

I can top that! I'm moving my daughter into the basement - next to the furnace. The Ultimaker2 gets her room! Just kidding.

is there a way to use the USB just to upload to the sd? So one can upload models and disconnect the usb cable.. just to avoid making the exhausting effort to physically move from the sd from the computer to the ultimaker?

About the SPOT: I liked the ultimaker 2 "pillar" i've seen at Maker Faire Rome... do you have some spec of that?

is there a way to use the USB just to upload to the sd?

Sadly no as it would sometimes take longer to transfer than to print! But this issue is being worked on right now! But it means a different computer, rewriting Marlin, but it is happening. And when done you will be able to upload over network. But you might have to wait for the UM3.

I liked the ultimaker 2 "pillar" i've seen at Maker Faire Rome

Ah! The blue stand?

dsc_4107.jpg

is there a way to use the USB just to upload to the sd? So one can upload models and disconnect the usb cable.. just to avoid making the exhausting effort to physically move from the sd from the computer to the ultimaker?

About the SPOT: I liked the ultimaker 2 "pillar" i've seen at Maker Faire Rome... do you have some spec of that?

In Octoprint with Rapsberry Pi you have a option to upload files localy (to Raspi)or to SD trow your network then print from SD and monitoring from any device, as soon i get My UM2 i test it out.

For the moment i got a Solidoodle and its not SD enabled , so i can not test allready how it works.

So, the USB problems people keep having are a limitation of the Arduino?

It seems strange that the Ultimaker (2) can't talk reliably to the computer over USB when ink jet printers, laser printers, hard drives, and many other devices have been doing using USB reliably for over a decade.

I'm disappointed that the UM2 will be SD only. Sounds like the only direct print option would be to use a Raspberry Pi and Octoprint? How would the RasPi talk to the UM2, in that case?

How would the RasPi talk to the UM2, in that case?

Lol. Through the USB of course. It turns out the raspberry pi is MUCH more reliable than using a computer.

Look - for some people, printing through USB works great! It's dependent on the hardware. I mean if you use windows - good luck - one time I was printing and windows decided to upgrade my software! wtf? I lost a print because of that. The raspberry pi doesn't have millions of lines of code any of which can crash your print. But more likely some low voltage USB signal or something like that can cause trouble. So for me, my computer seems to not work well through the USB. And for many others. But then they switch to a laptop or add a USB buffer and suddenly they can print 30 hours prints no problem. It's just a lot to explain to new customers. So it's best to only officially support SD for now.

If you look at the circuit diagram for an Arduino, there is a serial connection to this fance chip which takes a few digital signals and creates all kinds of digital signals, analog inputs, outputs and the USB stuff and only supports the old style COM port connections (I could be wrong about this but that was my impression looking at the Uno schematic - I assume mega2560 is the same). It's a very laborious process for the Arduino. And so therefore slow.

I doubt there are any modern 2D printers out there that still use the COM communication process. USB has come a long way since RS232 serial ports. But Arduino is still using that 1980s technology. The COM protocol is just a fallback for USB to be compatible with the older RS232 technology.

Hey, don't talk smack about ye olde rs232 com ports, I love them things :D I'm using one right now (well ok, an FTDI usb-serial converter) to talk to the PIC I'm programming. Great for sending debug info. The good thing about that arcane tech is that it's so simple and easy to use. I'm using the hardware USART but since it's so simple you could bit bang it with a few lines of code if you wanted to (albeit slow).