Rippling / Ghosting on cilinders on (brand new) UM S5.

waldo

Posted · Rippling / Ghosting on cilinders on (brand new) UM S5.

Hi,

I have a brand new S5 (coming from an UM3), and was excited to start printing with it.  but what a disappointment for a print I have done like 100ds of times on my UM3:

image.png.fd6d01c156bf215bc57300d4cfaa1580.png

Ghosting/Rippling like crazy.

What I did to try to resolve the issue:

- completely removed all cura profiles, and started printing with UM filament with default settings

- put my UM on the floor for stability

- oiled all axes

- changed temperatures for both filemant and build plate

The left testprint was printed at 35mm/s:

image.thumb.png.1302f294c760a86b96902af3706f8370.png

As said, I have been printing with an UM3 for quite a while, and have never had such a disgusting result at 70mm/s.. .  I know prints are significantly better at lower speeds, but still at 35mm/s you see some ghosting ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. .

I have the impression I have a wobly build plate, but I have nothing to compare against... could be normal.  

• Like 1

Wow .. for me this is completely unworkable .. any print with this kind of ribbling is plain ugly :-/.  Especially when you see what my UM3 was capable of (which was perfect).

Hi Waldo, I don't mind doing your print so you can compare. but can I get you to upload it as a "Cura Project (.3mf)" I like to check the settings before printing.

I've had quite a few problems with cylinder walls (have a thread about it) with my UM3E. I never get perfectly smooth results with Cura on them for some reason.  Especially small diameter cylinders, like you're looking at.

The case gets weirder.. . Apparently, more S5 printers have the exact same problem.  Someone on facebook printed it with my settings (.2) and had the same result:

image.thumb.png.497ead5d4abbb3399877d9771c683ef4.png

He said: print it at .15, that works .. and indeed:

image.thumb.png.fca2a57bc4ffa086e03d2d85acd48805.png

the only different about these two is layer height.  

This isn't normal...

• Like 2

Have you really changed only the layer height or changed the two profiles?

I change from the default "Normal" profile to the default "Fast" profile...

From the "Fast" standard profile, Cura 4.3 only changes is Plate temperature is set to 0

(My printer have some dampers installed on the feet's. but from the looks of the other prints it ditten really do any difference.) 

013.thumb.jpg.b77de03274d8a7805e58c83d0ab2ea19.jpg012.thumb.jpg.3b39c58d9514c6e438c15b3ef9c5d095.jpg011.thumb.jpg.8733ed2f2066de588e1d6914861e33e9.jpg

Thanks for testing this!  I really appreciate it. 

This is printer No. 3 (which is everyone that attempted this print on a .2 layer  height ;-)) that seems to have the same issue.

I will test with Cura 3.6 this evening .. .  This really looks like a slicing issue...

Even worse - anything sliced at .2 in Cura 4.3 doesn't seem to work on my S5... .

I don't think it has something to do with the layer height. Use the Normal profile and just set the Layer Height to 0.2 and make the test again.

But anyway, the default profiles are not the best for every object. You want to equalize all speed to the same value, which gives you a better quality and finish. Printing too fast is also not good, so keep your speeds around 30mm/s or 40mm/s.

Forgot something, you should also set the Jerk speeds to the same value as the print speeds.

Every time the printer accelerates or slows down you get some under- or over extrusion. Depending on the object and the size, you can get some strange results.

Posted (edited) · Rippling / Ghosting on cilinders on (brand new) UM S5.

I will do some more testing this evening and tomorrow.. .  Thanks for the tips.  For any quality prints, I usually print at 35mm/s.  thing is .. there should be at least a minimum quality at their default .. and the quality drop is significant (to not call it totally useless...).  

Will report back ;-).

Edited by waldo

Waldo do you still have an UM3, I would like to see how the same file is printed on that.

I don't (I traded it for the S5).

These are pictures of the icon that was printed the fastest as I could on my UM3: .2mm, but a modified profile.. so not completely comparable.

image.thumb.png.b5e4ceb8e1895700217a46a10e1a94e3.pngimage.png.eba8e4c8c114b4eb4d79ee56e1fb5b56.png

The only difference I can find in the newest Cura fast (0.2) and normal (0.1) profiles is the layer height, wall overlap, and the speeds. All the accel, jerk, and other settings look identical to me.

Current state is that

- more S5 printers suffer the same problem. 

- It's not just the STL, it's multiple STLs

- It's not a certain version of Cura (had the same issue with cura 3.6, 4.2.1 and 4.3)

- It's only on the .2 profile (and any change I did, didn't resolve or improve anything, except reducing speed to less than half).

The only way I see it: the 6500 EUR Ultimaker S5 isn't able to print 70mm/s on a .2 layer height.

It has been reported by at least 2 instances to Ultimaker - I hope they'll look into it.

15 hours ago, iccherry said:

The only difference I can find in the newest Cura fast (0.2) and normal (0.1) profiles is the layer height, wall overlap, and the speeds. All the accel, jerk, and other settings look identical to me.

Hi, I agree that the "fast" profile is shit, and I can't really see any use for it. But to be fair there are some significant changes between normal and fast beside the layer height.

"Outer wall speed" goes from 23 mm/s to 50 mm/s

"Inner wall speed" goes from 45 mm/s to 55 mm/s
    "Outer wall Acceleration" goes from 500 mm/s to 2000 mm/s

"Inner Wall Acceleration" goes from 1000 mm/s to 2000 mm/s

Edited by NBull
    Spelling
    • Like 2

Hm, didn't notice that .. .

I'll give it a go with thos values!

Try increasing the xy-jerk to 20mm/s. This should prevent the printer from piece-wise slowing down on cylindrical shapes with small radii.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Not sure if this will help @waldo I've just quickly printed your part at .2 layer height with Cura 4.3 on my S5. I don't use PLA but this is with CPE. Looks decent to me.

image.thumb.png.de3f0b93da9a2b53586e7abf19b8e6e4.png

Thanks!

it does .. 

Actually, @NBull quite nailed it with his comment that the speed of .15 and .2 are quite different.  I'm guessing it's the same settings as what you are using - may be even slower.. .

Just printed this on my S5 with those settings:

image.png.4e2cac882f7153facdfa6743a605e371.png

Pretty good, I guess.

I will print a logo next to verify and report back.

Edited by waldo