Posted · Ultimaker With Skr 1.4

Hi guys i'm trying to build ultimaker with skr 1.4 and tmc2209 drivers but i'd like to have original lcd at the front of machine is it possible to use skr with original ultimaker screen. Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

So with a bit of modding cable for screen all working with skr 1.4 and ultimaker 2 controller screen, led, buzzer, sd card also working fine. Running marlin 2.0.x. Couple more bits and 32bit Ultimaker up and running.

IMG_3472.jpg

• Like 4

Looks really cool! I am also looking to replace my board for something like the SKR. Are you willing to share what you've adjusted to get it working with the OLED screen?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker With Skr 1.4
6 hours ago, jgvonk1984 said:

Looks really cool! I am also looking to replace my board for something like the SKR. Are you willing to share what you've adjusted to get it working with the OLED screen?

So if you use skr 1.4 you'll need to slice cable to extend 3 wires and make connection to different location.

that will be 3.3v - power, (SCL, SDA - this is your i2c communication for screen). 

Ultimaker controller drawing. J2, J3 Connectors

if you look at the drawings connectors j2 and j3. J2 - pins 6 and 4 this is where your i2c going.

J3 - pin 8 ,3.3v which is missing on skr side is exp 2 pin 8 you need to split and supply 3.3v from any pin on board, i did use from wi-fi interface. (i do use wi-fi connector (rx,tx) for octoprint. so 3.3v is free to use for screen if you planing to use esp3d then is couple other pins with 3.3v you could use one of them.)

i2c wire is very simple EXP1 port wire 6, 4.

Skr 1.4 pins

After that just in marlin to enable ultimaker 2 controller.

Also PCA9632 led controller is supported by marlin so led also will be working. just enable in marlin.

if need more info let me know.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Anthrix
More information added.
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing the information! I am going to order an SKR 1.4. Sending from China will take a while I think.

Hello I am working on this mod for my UM2. First off thank you for figuring this out I am happy I will be able to keep the stock display and SD slot. I was hoping you could post a pic of your board and the pin you are using on 1.4. Also in marlin can you confirm that all that must be done the single line for the ulticontroller? Thanks

On 3/31/2020 at 5:42 AM, Anthrix said:

So if you use skr 1.4 you'll need to slice cable to extend 3 wires and make connection to different location.

that will be 3.3v - power, (SCL, SDA - this is your i2c communication for screen). 

Ultimaker controller drawing. J2, J3 Connectors

if you look at the drawings connectors j2 and j3. J2 - pins 6 and 4 this is where your i2c going.

J3 - pin 8 ,3.3v which is missing on skr side is exp 2 pin 8 you need to split and supply 3.3v from any pin on board, i did use from wi-fi interface. (i do use wi-fi connector (rx,tx) for octoprint. so 3.3v is free to use for screen if you planing to use esp3d then is couple other pins with 3.3v you could use one of them.)

i2c wire is very simple EXP1 port wire 6, 4.

Skr 1.4 pins

After that just in marlin to enable ultimaker 2 controller.

Also PCA9632 led controller is supported by marlin so led also will be working. just enable in marlin.

if need more info let me know.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello,

This is really cool , can you share to us your config file ? I will probably be able to do it myself , but it will save all us a lot of time to figure it out !

On 4/19/2020 at 3:28 PM, gossmanla said:

Hello I am working on this mod for my UM2. First off thank you for figuring this out I am happy I will be able to keep the stock display and SD slot. I was hoping you could post a pic of your board and the pin you are using on 1.4. Also in marlin can you confirm that all that must be done the single line for the ulticontroller? Thanks

Yes to get ulticontroller working in marlin is just one line in marlin to enable it. Also one line to enable led controller and you good to go. But you need to make that custom cable.

In few days i'll be adding ups (for recover if power loss happens) to mine so i'll be able to take couple photos. 

On 4/27/2020 at 1:06 AM, gilles-manzato said:

Hello,

This is really cool , can you share to us your config file ? I will probably be able to do it myself , but it will save all us a lot of time to figure it out !

Sure i can share my config 🙂. Just as advice use just required parts of my config to create yours. My ultimaker have few extras so if you don't have that will create problem for you. I use mk52 heat bed (Prusa mk3) also inductive sensor with temperature compensation (Pinda v2), SERIAL_PORT is used for communication with raspberry pi over rx, tx, pins from wi-fi port. Also other bits like limit switch config might not match yours. So just double check. I build mine from 0.

Configuration.h

Configuration_adv.h

9 hours ago, Anthrix said:

Sure i can share my config 🙂. Just as advice use just required parts of my config to create yours. My ultimaker have few extras so if you don't have that will create problem for you. I use mk52 heat bed (Prusa mk3) also inductive sensor with temperature compensation (Pinda v2), SERIAL_PORT is used for communication with raspberry pi over rx, tx, pins from wi-fi port. Also other bits like limit switch config might not match yours. So just double check. I build mine from 0.

Configuration.h

Configuration_adv.h

Thanks a lot !
Don't worry , mine has a few modifications too , I will do a diff and see what you changed from the default conf.

15 hours ago, Anthrix said:

Configuration.h

Configuration_adv.h

Do you have photos or video of your printer to share with us? Prusa Mk3 bed sounds exciting 🙂