Ultimaker With Skr 1.4

Posted · Ultimaker With Skr 1.4
On 12/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, michil said:

Hello all,

I switched to the Octopus V1.1 and I can't get the Ultimaker Controller running anymore with the patched EXT1 and EXT2 cables. I used the J73 connector on the board as source for SCL, SDA and 3.3V. SD card is running, the rotary controller is working as well as the speaker, but no output on the display. Nothing.

Any hints?

It seems that there was a problem with Marlin 2.1.1. After switching to Marlin 2.1.2 it is working again.

• 3 months later...
    On 1/10/2023 at 4:38 AM, mrgaryth said:

I appreciate this is a bit old now but I am currently working on this mod due to my ultiboard dying. Where on the I2C header do EXP1 cables 4 and 6 go?

Edit:

I2C pins

0.0 = SDA1
    0.1 = SCL1

@mrgaryth I created an adapter board to connect the ulticontroller to my BTT Octopus Pro, below is the design for where the I2C cables go.

EXP1 4 - SDA

EXP1 6 -SCL

image.thumb.png.9da6fc3c223713fabb3766b21e03d27d.png

The display, encoder, and SD slot are working in Marlin. On the start up the display shows static for a few seconds before showing data. I'm not sure if there is a way to fix that in software. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Big thanks for the instructions for getting the display working. I had a SKR 1.3 laying around and got it working. No way I would have come to this solution without your help.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:25 PM, drphil3d said:

Does anybody know where to source this PCB from or am I going to have to redesign it for myself. I have the MCAD files of it, don't remember where I got it, can't find it for sale anywhere. 
    https://a360.co/3MFJUdB

image.thumb.png.8d88a7c06152269b247bbc7e8c63e020.png

I believe this is what you are looking for: from thingverse - I have one for my UM2+ but could not find it today in AliExpress

Most recently the UM2 Power/USB adapter board has been manufactured and available via AliExpress. Just search for "UM2 Power USB Power Switch adapter interface for adapting Duet 2 WiFi Controller"

3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I believe this is what you are looking for: from thingverse - I have one for my UM2+ but could not find it today in AliExpress

Most recently the UM2 Power/USB adapter board has been manufactured and available via AliExpress. Just search for "UM2 Power USB Power Switch adapter interface for adapting Duet 2 WiFi Controller"

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3341261

On 3/30/2020 at 11:42 PM, Anthrix said:

So if you use skr 1.4 you'll need to slice cable to extend 3 wires and make connection to different location.

that will be 3.3v - power, (SCL, SDA - this is your i2c communication for screen). 

Ultimaker controller drawing. J2, J3 Connectors

if you look at the drawings connectors j2 and j3. J2 - pins 6 and 4 this is where your i2c going.

J3 - pin 8 ,3.3v which is missing on skr side is exp 2 pin 8 you need to split and supply 3.3v from any pin on board, i did use from wi-fi interface. (i do use wi-fi connector (rx,tx) for octoprint. so 3.3v is free to use for screen if you planing to use esp3d then is couple other pins with 3.3v you could use one of them.)

i2c wire is very simple EXP1 port wire 6, 4.

Skr 1.4 pins

After that just in marlin to enable ultimaker 2 controller.

Also PCA9632 led controller is supported by marlin so led also will be working. just enable in marlin.

if need more info let me know.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi all, I'm working on this mod too, thanks for sharing. However, I have a problem with the screen. It does not turn on but the sound works when I press the controller wheel. I have checked the connections and it seems to be correct. I have also enabled the line "#define ULTI_CONTROLLER"  in the firmware.

Does the same thing happen to anyone else? Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, blasssm said:

Hi all, I'm working on this mod too, thanks for sharing. However, I have a problem with the screen. It does not turn on but the sound works when I press the controller wheel. I have checked the connections and it seems to be correct. I have also enabled the line "#define ULTI_CONTROLLER"  in the firmware.

Thanks.

ok solved. It was a mistake with I2C pins. 

On 10/6/2023 at 3:50 AM, blasssm said:

Thanks.

The screen uses I2C and the encoder, button, and beep have their own pins in the connector. I2C may not be connected properly or powered with 3.3V. Most controller boards only have 5V on the EXP pins so you need to splice a 3.3V pin in to the connector specifically to power the screen. 

My full schematic for my breakout board I made to connect my ULTICONTROLLER to BTT Octopus Pro is here for reference https://github.com/ansonl/DXU/blob/master/ulticontroller-i2c-breakout/25APR23-schematic.pdf

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker With Skr 1.4

Hello, maybe someone can help here

I have an ultimaker 2 and a mks tinybee board.

I'd like to use ulticontroller with this board, it doesn't works out of the box.

Should I have to modify wirings in a similar way as explained here, or could the mks pins be remapped since it's esp32 ?

Thansk

Edited by acca

On 10/7/2023 at 1:28 PM, blasssm said:

ok solved. It was a mistake with I2C pins. 

I have a similar problem.  I now have the screen coming on, and the text flashes for the z,y,z numbers with the ?  all the time as it should.  When I press the button the menu comes up, but when I spin the wheel, nothing happens.  When I press the button again, it goes back to status (it should do that since the first menu option is goi back to status). 

Any ideas?  I have this on a SKR 2.. 

On 12/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, pdiakoloukas said:

I have a similar problem.  I now have the screen coming on, and the text flashes for the z,y,z numbers with the ?  all the time as it should.  When I press the button the menu comes up, but when I spin the wheel, nothing happens.  When I press the button again, it goes back to status (it should do that since the first menu option is goi back to status). 

Any ideas?  I have this on a SKR 2.. 

The encoder output is not being read. I would check to make sure that the encoder S_E1 and S_E2 on the ulticontroller and my schematic is passing current.