Material Station on an S5 and Materials

wdeighton

Posted · Material Station on an S5 and Materials

Our Material station has gone back for the second time now, endless problems with chewing the the material and jamming. Been over a week and I have not heard anything back yet. Its a great idea but just not working!

Hi

One thing that has not been mentioned: Is the spool free to feed? In other words, is there a cross over on the spool that has it locking up? I'm in no way saying that is the issue, only that it's something to check. 

Bob

25 minutes ago, greatg said:

Still having major issues with the PVA loading. Now it appears that there are gouges in the filament as it tries to load. Never reaches the extruder.

Our's was the same, taken big chunks out of the PVA.  You will find it will start to snap the PVA and it will get stuck in the tubes as well. 

Hi all!

Does anyone addressed this PVA loading issue?

after some months of contiuos printing (where i had to plug off the MS since it was impossible to print using PVA) I had some free time and decided to start again to use it consistently. Figured out it was probably a mistake, since problems showed off again.

The good point is that in the last tests, the PVA broke not in the MS but just after the feeder.

The issues, after some observation prints, in my opinion, could be the following:

1. The MS dries way too much the material ( since the first prints with 2 new spools had zero problems), after 5/6 days in the MS the filament starts to break off. The interesting thing is that the filament is broken in the first 30/50 cm.  Maybe less drying could help. [the printer is now in a room with also dehumidification on. [maybe i will try to use a very moistured PVA spool and see what happens.
    2. The feeder motor of the extruder ( so the one on the S5) loads PVA too fast ( noticed that feeder loading speed is higher than MS loading speed). Maybe with a lower speed PVA won't broke, since this does not happen during the first passage

I'm starting to get mad. The main point of using the MS for me was to print in the office from home, but if this PVA issue is not solved I will need to find other solutions or not use the MS (that would be a pity), since my prints (anatomical medical models) are 95% printed using soluble supports.

22 hours ago, Diego_Medics3D said:

maybe i will try to use a very moistured PVA spool and see what happens

The BB core will likely clog.

I recommend you wait with further "tests" until the next firmware is out. It will bring some significant changes especially for PVA in the Pro Bundle.
    Also please use bay F and E for PVA in printcore 2. If you do not have extremely new PVA also try to anneal the PVA and maybe cut of the last meter after a while not using it before the next print in order to minimize likelihood of breaking in the main feeder.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, Dim3nsioneer said:

The BB core will likely clog.

I recommend you wait with further "tests" until the next firmware is out. It will bring some significant changes especially for PVA in the Pro Bundle.
    Also please use bay F and E for PVA in printcore 2. If you do not have extremely new PVA also try to anneal the PVA and maybe cut of the last meter after a while not using it before the next print in order to minimize likelihood of breaking in the main feeder.

@Dim3nsioneer thank you for your kind answer!

do you have any idea when the new firmware is supposed to be released?

to be honest I was not really clear when I said to use a more humid spool. I was refering to use a new spool never been inside the MS.

After my last post I switched PVA for use in bay E and F, as you suggested, but whitout cutting off the first 50/80cm of the filament I have experienced again some cracks in the last part of the bowden tube.

I hope that as you mentioned the new firmware could address this problem. Unfortunately in this historical period where more or less everyone is Smart Working, reliable remote printing using MS would be very useful, IMHO.

2 hours ago, Diego_Medics3D said:

do you have any idea when the new firmware is supposed to be released?

I do have an idea, yes. 😉

But it is up to R&D and UM Testing to decide that a firmware version is stable and can be published. From that moment it does only take a few days maybe until your printer will indicate that the new firmware is available. The only thing I can say is that if things go as planned then we are closer to the next version than we are away from the last one.

Still having issues with all of the above. Even with the new firmware. I can practically not use PVA at all in the material station and have tried 3 different rolls in different bays, not to mention cutting more PVA  (1meter each time it fails) 

Our PVA works only on our non-material station s5, so the material station works EXCEPT  for PVA.

Im in contact with customer support but regretfully if there's no solutions anytime soon we 'll have to return the unit as it only worked about 10% of the time with soluble supports